Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information evening for new post primary school Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,879 ✭✭✭✭L1011

lordgoat wrote: »
    Where is this campus going to be exactly? I keep hearing different places on the Moyglare road?

North of the entrance road to Moyglare Hall, e.g. as far out of the town as you can get without leaving the county. Terrible location but it was decided on so long ago as to mean nothing was going to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Orion wrote: »
    When the DES or the ETB produce a document from 1971 designating MPPS as Catholic then I'll believe it. Until then - it's exactly what it says - Multi-denominational.

According to last week's Champion (in an article on the 6th year graduations) they held a "Catholic ethos" mass as past of the graduation ceremony. Not very multi-denominational.

According to last week's Champion (in an article on the 6th year graduations) they held a "Catholic ethos" mass as past of the graduation ceremony. Not very multi-denominational.

Its absolutely Catholic day to day despite their protestations that it isn't - having suffered the troubles of being a non-Catholic in the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

MYOB wrote: »
    North of the entrance road to Moyglare Hall, e.g. as far out of the town as you can get without leaving the county. Terrible location but it was decided on so long ago as to mean nothing was going to be changed.

Actually one of the entrances is from Meath. It's definitely not the best location - there were better ones available - but the ETB decided to buy it without consultation and that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Has there been any update on this? We haven't had anything from the school.

There are no enrollment policies on the MPPS website or on the Maynooth Campus website. Equally they new campus website says it is accepting pupils from this month.
    What is happening up there?

• Advertisement

The school opened for enrolment. A number of pupils - while in the same classes as their friends - are officially enrolled in MCC rather than MPPS. The ETB appealed the financial clause of the planning - the council wanted 750K for services. Decision on that appeal due on 23rd November.

So essentially nothing has changed.

They are still proceeding with the two school model and the wishes of parents are irrelevant.

Pretty much at the moment. But the campaign to amalgamate the two schools is still active - especially at PTA level. The schools won't be ready to move into until 2016 at the earliest. So there's time to force common sense upon them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jamontoast

Hi did anyone hear recently that there are plans to move both 5th and 6th years into Manor Mills for 2015 ? If that is the case they now have, by default, a junior/senior model !Surely a new Minister for Education presents an opportunity to jump start the Campaign again ? When you check the Maynooth Schools facebook page, nothing seems to be happening ..... did it die a death ?

Is there space in Manor Mills for both full years?

I'd actually prefer a 5th/6th split more than a junior/senior school - TY contains so little actual education that there's no need for it to be delivered in a senior environment and it'd allow it to work more like the British "college" system where what are actually adults by that stage both in age and often in law can be treated like adults - not like 12 year olds.

• Advertisement

I haven't heard anything but I'll try and find out.

@MYOB - it would be more a logistical thing that linking TY with the senior cycle - 50/50 split of students between the two buildings if you attach TY to 5th/6th.

Orion wrote: »
    @MYOB - it would be more a logistical thing that linking TY with the senior cycle - 50/50 split of students between the two buildings if you attach TY to 5th/6th.

I did have a line saying "of course, this would need two different sizes of building" amongst some other ramblings I removed from the final post. Probably should have left it!

Statement from Teresa Murray today regarding the planning:
    Let it be put on the record that in this instance justice has been served.

An Bord Pleanala have issued their decision in relation to the Appeal Lodged by the Kildare and Wicklow Education and Training Board concerning the Financial Contribution of €726,480 imposed by Kildare Co. Council when granting planning permission for the Two New Secondary Schools for Maynooth on the Moyglare Road.

Kildare Co. Council had imposed the financial contribution to cover the cost of the purchase of additional land and the provision of footpath and cycle infrastructure improvements on the Moyglare Road between the site for the school and the Town Centre.

An Bord Pleanala have removed the condition for the following reason: 'The Board is satisfied that the proposed development is to be carried out on behalf of a voluntary body and is intended to be used for educational purposes and is not for profit or gain. Having regard to the specific objective contained in the current Maynooth Local Area Development Plan to upgrade and improve pedestrian and cycling facilities along the Moyglare Road, it is considered that such works would be covered under the adopted Kildare County Council Development Contribution Scheme. The works in question do not, therefore, constitute specific exceptional costs which are not covered by the Scheme, as required under the provisions of section 48(2)(c)'.

And here's a press release from John McGinley
    Financial Contribution for Maynooth Secondary Schools Removed by An
    Bord Pleanala

An Bord Pleanala have issued their decision in relation to the Appeal
    Lodged by the Kildare and Wicklow Education and Training Board
    concerning the Financial Contribution of €726,480 imposed by Kildare
    Co. Council when granting planning permission for the Two New
    Secondary Schools for Maynooth on the Moyglare Road.

Kildare Co. Council stated Deputy Stagg had imposed the financial
    contribution to cover the cost of the purchase of additional land and
    the provision of footpath and cycle infrastructure improvements on the
    Moyglare Road between the site for the school and the Town Centre.

An Bord Pleanala have stated Deputy Stagg now removed the condition
    for the following reason: 'The Board is satisfied that the proposed
    development is to be carried out on behalf of a voluntary body and is
    intended to be used for educational purposes and is not for profit or
    gain. Having regard to the specific objective contained in the current
    Maynooth Local Area Development Plan to upgrade and improve pedestrian
    and cycling facilities along the Moyglare Road, it is considered that
    such works would be covered under the adopted Kildare County Council
    Development Contribution Scheme. The works in question do not,
    therefore, constitute specific exceptional costs which are not covered
    by the Scheme, as required under the provisions of section 48(2)(c)'.

Therefore these works will have to be funded from the Council's
    Development Contribution Scheme

Now that the Appeal has been decided upon Deputy Stagg stated that
    Tenders should now be sought for the projects to enable construction
    to commence as soon as possible.

In conclusion Deputy Stagg thanked the former Minister for Education
    Ruairi Quinn T.D. for including the building of two new secondary
    schools in Maynooth in the Departments 5 year Capital Plan back in
    2012 which enabled the seeking of planning permission

My question here is what role does Emmet Stagg have in a local planning decision and under what authority can he "impose" a condition on a decision of the council planners. Secondly why would he impose such a punitive financial condition on a local non-profit organisation.

Two sets of commas missing there before and after each "stated Deputy Stagg". He doesn't have a role nor did he impose it - KCC did.

Ha - that makes a lot more sense. Even with the missing commas it's an appaling sentence structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

No contribution = no facilities on Moyglare Road. I'm glad I don't live there.

Not true. Provision of pedestrian and cycle facilities are part of their own LADP and part of the planning permission for the schools. And they are covered as part of the Development Contribution Scheme - in other words they now have to use the money paid by developers in the area - specifically the developer of Moyglare Hall - to pay for these facilities. Something they should have done without being forced to by An Bord Pleanala. If they don't provide them they are in breach of their own regulations.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

so is it a definite now that there will be 2 schools on the same campus? or is there an appeal in?

There's going to be two buildings - that was never in question. It's how the school(s) are setup that we are campaigning for. We are looking for amalgamation so that a junior/senior model can be applied.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yes, I should have been more clear.
    Having gone the senior model route myself I am all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cosycosy

I know I am a little late to this party.. but I recently moved to Maynooth and my Son is in the Boys national school. We have to apply for a secondary school and I am confused over the 2 schools?? Which one to apply to? Or are they both operating under the umbrella of Maynooth Education Campus

You apply to both (pay the single application fee). Your son should have received the forms in school. If not then you can get them from Post Primary. Call them on 628 6060.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

cosycosy wrote: »
    I know I am a little late to this party.. but I recently moved to Maynooth and my Son is in the Boys national school. We have to apply for a secondary school and I am confused over the 2 schools?? Which one to apply to? Or are they both operating under the umbrella of Maynooth Education Campus

Closing date for September 2016 entry is tomorrow.

Hi, does anyone know where the enrollment policy for MPPS can be found?

It isn't on their website. Do they still give priority to children of past students?

At least Maynooth CC enrolment policy is published and available for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Call me Al wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know where the enrollment policy for MPPS can be found?

It isn't on their website. Do they still give priority to children of past students?

The MPPS website is down.

The first criteria was for siblings of existing pupils of MPPS.

I think second was cachement area address. I was told second hand that criteria 1 and 2 applications filled September 2015 intake to MPSS.
    cosycosy wrote: »
    ... Which one to apply to? Or are they both operating under the umbrella of Maynooth Education Campus

You can apply to one or both.

If you apply to both, there was a form included to confirm which school was your first preference.

The site is being redesigned at the moment. I do have the policy somewhere - I'll find it and post it. As I recall it's
    1. Children and siblings of pupils/past pupils
    2. Children of teachers
    3. Children learning through English, living in catchment area
    When I find the full list I'll stick it up.

I think second was cachement area address. I was told second hand that criteria 1 and 2 applications filled September 2015 intake to MPSS.

First 3 filled it (so when you include #2 which you omitted - children of teachers - that's pretty much the same thing). Local children learning through English filled it by lottery.

Edit - you're right - children of teachers is actually in #1 so #2 did fill MPPS. Applicants living in Maynooth and in primary school in Maynooth.

I knew I'd put them somewhere - they're in post 108 in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87730376&postcount=108

• Advertisement

Children of past pupils is a bit of an odd one for a state school to have at such a high priority - very common as a factor for private schools though. (siblings of current & past is extremely common everywhere)

Useful to know should I ever send kids to the COI primary in Dunboyne or similar though.

Advertisement