Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information evening for new post primary school Maynooth

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cosycosy

Thanks for your reply. So is there any difference? Are they separate schools? I have the forms but I have to choose my preference on the form

• Registered Users Posts: 68,878 ✭✭✭✭L1011

cosycosy wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. So is there any difference? Are they separate schools? I have the forms but I have to choose my preference on the form

Currently they're in the same building; in the future they're going to be in two buildings beside each other. Its likely (but not guaranteed as far as I know) that they're going to continue to have one uniform, one set of sports teams etc to avoid the otherwise inevitable inter-school issues that would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cosycosy

L1011 wrote: »
    Currently they're in the same building; in the future they're going to be in two buildings beside each other. Its likely (but not guaranteed as far as I know) that they're going to continue to have one uniform, one set of sports teams etc to avoid the otherwise inevitable inter-school issues that would happen.

Ah now I see. Thank you for clearing that up :-) so for now it makes no difference but once they do split.. it there one that would be more preferable over the other? Ugh.. totally cluless

MCC should stick closer to actually being non denominational if that matters to you (or the opposite matters). MPPS acted 100% Catholic in my time there, many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Thanks for the info re enrollment policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

MCC should stick closer to actually being non denominational if that matters to you (or the opposite matters). MPPS acted 100% Catholic in my time there, many years ago.

My daughter is in MPPS and has never had any catholic masses or instruction.

The two schools uniforms have a different crest. Once they move to the new campus I hope they can continue to have a single team representing the campus in each sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

My daughter's are there and MPPS is multi-denominational not Catholic. Sean Ashe spreaded this nonsense that it is a Catholic school and this has been completely and utterly refuted by the founding principal Tom Ashe and by the DES and the Minister.

Both schools are the same pretty much at the moment - classes are mixed - there is no segregation of the two schools at all.

My daughter is in MPPS and has never had any catholic masses or instruction.

Changes have happened then. There was a Catholic first year mass (which I was repeatedly quizzed about why I didn't attend), graduation masses, prayers at graduations; and the religion classes were using Veritas published books and entirely Catholic.
    Orion wrote: »
    My daughter's are there and MPPS is multi-denominational not Catholic. Sean Ashe spreaded this nonsense that it is a Catholic school and this has been completely and utterly refuted by the founding principal Tom Ashe and by the DES and the Minister.

Both schools are the same pretty much at the moment - classes are mixed - there is no segregation of the two schools at all.

I was there in Sean Ashe's era, hence my experiences. It was more visibly Catholic at the time than the actual Catholic BNS!

Changes have happened then. There was a Catholic first year mass (which I was repeatedly quizzed about why I didn't attend), graduation masses, prayers at graduations; and the religion classes were using Veritas published books and entirely Catholic.
    The welcoming ceremony was multicultural this year. There were some Christian elements but mostly ecumenical and multinational. Very welcoming to all. The religion book is not Veritas - it's an instruction book on all religions. My kids are learning about Judaism at the moment but the book covers a wide range of religions. In their classes there are about 10 different religions represented too.
    I was there in Sean Ashe's era, hence my experiences. It was more visibly Catholic at the time than the actual Catholic BNS!

My opinions on him are not for publication :D

My opinions on him are not for publication :D

I actually got on OK with him, somehow. Having not had to deal with him for a decade and a half probably helps!

• Advertisement

The tender has been rejected by the des so a new tender competition is necessary. Looks like KWETB royally screwed this up. So that's at least another year. 2019 at the earliest now.

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2016052600037?opendocument

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Shocking project management really. Knock on effect will be the ring road delayed I'd guess. If school was going ahead, there'd be more pressure to get it done.

ixus wrote: »
    Shocking project management really. Knock on affect will be the ring road delayed I'd guess. If school was going ahead, there'd be more pressure to get it done.

They're not linked. The ring road is going ahead Meath CC are doing it.

They're not linked. The ring road is going ahead Meath CC are doing it.

Only that arc. The bits within Kildare are also critical

Response from KWETB:

http://kildarewicklow.etb.ie/latest-news/update-maynooth-education-campus/

Key things from it:
    The development of both schools will proceed in tandem
    The Minister implied a phased delivery so this is very welcome.
    current and future accommodation shortfalls will be addressed as a matter of urgency
    Vital. After the 2016/17 school year there is no space left either in MPPS or in Manor Mills. With the retender delaying it the buildings will not be there for Sept 2018 now so extra space is needed.

The re-tendering process shouldn't take as long as the last one as the designs are already there. So hopefully completed by the end of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lasting31

Hi, , could someone tell me what is the catchment area for Maynooth post primary? Recently moved there and wondered what area we are in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Advertisement