Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TDs and Senators go for the Christmas Number One

• 15-11-2011 1:25pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭

I just saw this on thejournal.ie - eighteen TDs and senators have recorded a charity single that they’re hoping could get to No.1 for Christmas:
    Dáil Aid: TDs and Senators record a song for charity

This year’s X Factor winner could face competition from an unexpected source in the race to the Christmas number 1 next month – the Oireachtas.

Ok, it’s not exactly Matt Cardle or Joe McElderry, but a bunch of TDs and Senators have put aside their party allegiances and recorded a song together for a suicide prevention charity.

The all-star version of ‘Bridge Over Troubled Water’ will be released in a few weeks, and organisers are hopeful that it could grab the coveted Christmas number 1 spot.

Eighteen TDs and Senators took part in the recording, the initial part of which took place at the weekend in Ballyfermot Senior College – and there are “quite a number of solos” in the song, according to organiser Fine Gael TD Derek Keating.

“Everyone sounded great. I do think it takes a certain amount of courage especially for people not used to that role,” said the TD for Dublin Mid-West, speaking to TheJournal.ie.

Some of the Oireachtas members who are taking part include Fine Gael TDs Lucinda Creighton, Simon Coveney and Peter Mathews, Labour TD Joan Burton, Fianna Fáil Senator Averil Power, and Independents Stephen Donnelly, Mick Wallace and Finian McGrath.

Several Oireachtas members who couldn’t make the recording session at the weekend will lay down their individual vocals later this week.

Volunteers came from all parts of the Dáil and Seanad – “I wanted to ensure that all parties and none were represented, male and female, Dáil and Seanad,” says Keating. “I think we’ve managed to get a good representation there. People were very committed to the project”.

Keating said that it’s something he had been hoping to do ever since he was elected to the Dáil earlier this year. The TD is a director of Pieta House, which works to prevent suicide and self-harm, and royalties from the single will be going to help fund its work.

“I chose the song because it’s very beautiful and very well-known,” says Keating. “The sentiments expressed in the song are a reminder that people often go through troubled times in their lives but there a bridge that is available over troubled waters, and that is places like Pieta House”.

Once Keating put the plan into action, help came from a number of sources. The Dublin Gospel Choir and LGS, a gospel choir from Lucan, provided help with the vocals, while Jim Sheridan, the musical director of the Late Late Show oversaw the project. Noel Recruitment are the main sponsor behind the project.

“The purpose was to send out the clearest and strongest message to the people of Ireland, particularly those most at risk or vulnerable, that we care, we want to help, and we want to let people know that they’re not on their own,” says Keating.

Other Oireachtas members taking part are Padraig MacLochlainn (SF), Regina Doherty (FG), Robert Troy (FF), Terence Flanagan (FG), Michael Ring (FG), Lorraine Higgins (Lab) and Eamonn Coghlan.
    The song and accompanying video will be released in the run-up to Christmas – and we’ll post it here as soon as we have it…

I have to admit I was sceptical when I first saw the article, but I’ve come across Pieta House before and they seem to do some very good work in the rather neglected area of suicide prevention. Hopefully this will raise their profile a bit. On the other hand, other charity singles are usually recorded by people from established music acts who can sing (with the possible exception of the X Factor contestants), so it’ll be interesting to see if a group of politicians can pull it off or if they’ll absolutely murder the song! I’ll probably watch the video when it’s released, out of pure curiosity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

What's the cover?

"It's the end of the world as we know it"
    "Road to Nowhere"
    "We gotta get out of this place"

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

With Bertie on lead guitar?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

It's hard enough listening to Joan Burton talk never mind sing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

"Get a good Christmas rap released"

"Fu-fu-fu F*** you Dep. Stagg"

"You ain't nothing but a jizz rag."

"Me and ma boys gonna hit you with the 12 Gauge"

"Sorry for the unparlientary language"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

foxyboxer wrote: »
    What's the cover?

"It's the end of the world as we know it"
    "Road to Nowhere"
    "We gotta get out of this place"

:confused:

Its in the OP ;)

"Bridge over troubled water"

I'd see this as a positive thing to do so lets not bash them.
    Its all about suicide prevention people!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Do the Bartman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I really hope they can get that poor boy out of the well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

texidub wrote: »

No! obviously he'd be on bass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

No matter how ****e it is, I'll buy it. The money goes towards a great organization

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

texidub wrote: »

No he's on the fiddle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Sound of Silence would have offered more succour.

Well, to me anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

OH-DEAR-GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

those muppets were on the Late late and they have not a note between them.
    If they funded pieta house properly it would be better or if they just gave even 1% of their salary each they could fund it better.
    they are hypocrites and self-serving imbeciles.
    Dont buy this smug piece of rubbish, give the money directly even just 2/3 euros directly is better the letting those muppets think they have done a good thing here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Norris plays the flute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

+1
    And I didn't know one of them.
    Its more a publicity stunt for these idiots rather than Pieta house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

lynski wrote: »
    If they funded pieta house properly it would be better or if they just gave even 1% of their salary each they could fund it better.
    Dont buy this smug piece of rubbish, give the money directly even just 2/3 euros directly is better the letting those muppets think they have done a good thing here

It's all about rising the profile of a serious epidemic that has this country in it's grip. No matter what they did you'd probably rubbish it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Vizzy wrote: »
    +1
    And I didn't know one of them.
    Its more a publicity stunt for these idiots rather than Pieta house.
    It says more about you than them that you didn't know one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

This cover may cause more suicides than prevents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Well this will be embarrassing.

First their will be the budget then this'

They have ruined Christmas for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Jesus some idiots will turn anything into a politician bashing thread

It's for a good cause, get over it and maybe ask yourself why you're getting so worked up over something doing no harm to anyone, only good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

Fishie wrote: »
    I just saw this on thejournal.ie - eighteen TDs and senators have recorded a charity single that they’re hoping could get to No.1 for Christmas:

I have to admit I was sceptical when I first saw the article, but I’ve come across Pieta House before and they seem to do some very good work in the rather neglected area of suicide prevention. Hopefully this will raise their profile a bit. On the other hand, other charity singles are usually recorded by people from established music acts who can sing (with the possible exception of the X Factor contestants), so it’ll be interesting to see if a group of politicians can pull it off or if they’ll absolutely murder the song! I’ll probably watch the video when it’s released, out of pure curiosity.

I know it's for charity and everything but could they not have recorded a different song? 'Bridge over Troubled Water' seems very patronizing since TDs were the ones who sold the country out.

Arianna_26 wrote: »
    I know it's for charity and everything but could they not have recorded a different song? 'Bridge over Troubled Water' seems very patronizing since TDs were the ones who sold the country out.

Well actually it was a group of FF tds, most of whom are not even in the Dail anymore that did the selling so cut them a little slack

<queue mob baying for my blood for saying something have positive about a politician>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Still think they should have done a cover of Rap against Rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I thnik it's just as much about personal publicity for the TDs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Mark200 wrote: »

Says more about the fact that they can't get on the telly in the Dail so they need to sing( if that is the correct term) on the Late Late to be noticed.

Dotrel wrote: »
    Still think they should have done a cover of Rap against Rape.

Feckin hell, my ears feel violated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Vizzy wrote: »
    Mark200 wrote: »

Says more about the fact that they can't get on the telly in the Dail so they need to sing( if that is the correct term) on the Late Late to be noticed.
    One is a Minister and another is very regularly on TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It's all about rising the profile of a serious epidemic that has this country in it's grip. No matter what they did you'd probably rubbish it.

They were terrible but I will buy it for the charity.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Well actually it was a group of FF tds, most of whom are not even in the Dail anymore that did the selling so cut them a little slack

<queue mob baying for my blood for saying something have positive about a politician>

I am cutting them slack, I said it was great they were doing it for charity. But I don't trust politicians and think they are trying to send us some message in the lyrics.

They could have covered one of Boyzone's songs - You're the key to my life :p

• Advertisement

lynski wrote: »

I do agree with you but it is for a good cause, can't hurt to buy it, you don't have to listen to it.

hondasam wrote: »
    I do agree with you but it is for a good cause, can't hurt to buy it, you don't have to listen to it.

Or else you could just make a donation to a good cause and ignore the thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

I think if I had to listen to this I would kill myself

Will you do that?

I could but I won't, it's for a cause I support and it needs all the publicity and help it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

or ask them to donate to the cause out of their fat paycheques

• Advertisement

you are funny, suicide is horrible.

Will you do that?

Yeah I will. Will you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ignore it trolling.

Thanks for letting me know, ill put the rope away so

I could but I won't, it's for a cause I support and it needs all the publicity and help it gets.

Fair enough, just pointing out that there are ways to support good causes without buying into this publicity stunt. If I care about certain charities I don't really need people shoving products in my face, I can find them myself.

• Advertisement

Thanks for letting me know, ill put the rope away so

what ever, bit to close to home for me this weekend, I'm out of this thread.

Yeah I will. Will you?

I do donate regularly and do as much volunteering as I can for a few different organisations.

You should check out my facial hair for movember, it is truly horrendous :p

or ask them to donate to the cause out of their fat paycheques

wow how insightful and interesting

very unique post

'Hey kids we're cutting your dole and childrens allowance, but dont kill yourself, listen to this depressing 70s Art Garfunkel song instead'

I do donate regularly and do as much volunteering as I can for a few different organisations.

Fair play to you :)

Fair enough, just pointing out that there are ways to support good causes without buying into this publicity stunt. If I care about certain charities I don't really need people shoving products in my face, I can find them myself.

Thats the thing though, you seem to be missing the point. It's to raise the profile of the organisation and what they do, and it isn't a product.

Do you object to celeb's doing adverts? cos thats them shoving a product in your face.

Thats the thing though, you seem to be missing the point. It's to raise the profile of the organisation and what they do, and it isn't a product.

Do you object to celeb's doing adverts? cos thats them shoving a product in your face.

I do object to celebrities doing adverts.

And I may be being cynical but I do think this is partly a publicity stunt. I am not missing the point but I do find it hard to swallow 'Bridge over troubled water' being sung by a group of TDs.

I do object to celebrities doing adverts.

And I may be being cynical but I do think this is partly a publicity stunt. I am not missing the point but I do find it hard to swallow 'Bridge over troubled water' being sung by a group of TDs.

I see it from a different point of view I suppose. I am quite familar with Pieta House and know on a ground level how many people they have helped. If this helps more people know about them and raises a few quid it's all good in my opinion. I don't really care who is singing, rugby team, soccer team, celebs, TD's etc etc.

It's about an epidemic and trying to slow it down. Awareness that there is help out there is really important.

Yeah I will. Will you?
    O

Not total grinch

But how does growing a moustache help charity?

Not total grinch

But how does growing a moustache help charity?

ignorance is bliss :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement