Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TDs and Senators go for the Christmas Number One

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Not total grinch

But how does growing a moustache help charity?

It's not a mere moustache I'll have you know. :P

Movember

In my case, my work is donating a percentage of each paid job to certain charities and not looking for sponsorship per se.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

I see it from a different point of view I suppose. I am quite familar with Pieta House and know on a ground level how many people they have helped. If this helps more people know about them and raises a few quid it's all good in my opinion. I don't really care who is singing, rugby team, soccer team, celebs, TD's etc etc.

It's about an epidemic and trying to slow it down. Awareness that there is help out there is really important.

I think that the publicity for the organisation is great. I may donate some cash to help their work but I won't be buying the CD. So I take your point that some good can come from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I see it from a different point of view I suppose. I am quite familar with Pieta House and know on a ground level how many people they have helped. If this helps more people know about them and raises a few quid it's all good in my opinion. I don't really care who is singing, rugby team, soccer team, celebs, TD's etc etc.

It's about an epidemic and trying to slow it down. Awareness that there is help out there is really important.QUOTE]

100% But they could have made it a bit more professional that people would like to but & hear the single CD,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

It's about an epidemic and trying to slow it down. Awareness that there is help out there is really important.

Yeah but when you see a bunch of fúckwits singing something like this you just change over. Where as if it was someone people semi-liked like lets say Westlife ( i know i know, they're not much better but...) at least they'd have a vid worth watching and i know i wouldnt be as quick to switch over.

Arianna_26 wrote: »
    I think that the publicity for the organisation is great. I may donate some cash to help their work but I won't be buying the CD. So I take your point that some good can come from this.
    realies wrote: »

100% But they could have made it a bit more professional that people would like to but & hear the single CD,

To be honest even us talking about it now is a good thing, no matter if your opinion is good or bad.

Suckas :P

To be honest even us talking about it now is a good thing, no matter if your opinion is good or bad.

Suckas :P

I agree though my opinion is not bad. ;)

I agree though my opinion is not bad. ;)

So you do like the song :eek: knew it :P

So you do like the song :eek: knew it :P

Oh no I think the song is woeful (their version) but my opinion in itself - as in I don't like the thing - is not a bad opinion. I don't have to like it. :)

Oh no I think the song is woeful (their version) but my opinion in itself - as in I don't like the thing - is not a bad opinion. I don't have to like it. :)

true, to be honest, I haven't even heard the song and don't plan on hearing it. Great to see people talking though. :)

• Advertisement

true, to be honest, I haven't even heard the song and don't plan on hearing it. Great to see people talking though. :)

I agree with you on that. I just wish that the sight of those TDs didn't make me lose sight of the charity they are doing it for. So irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭jluv

Think we all agree it's a great cause but if they had decided to go with singing then they should have had the brains to find people who in fairness were not tone deaf. It actually seemed to me at first to be a piss take it was so awful. Kudos to anyone who helps to fundraise but that was/is just wrong. Great idea just not the right people involved...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

A good cause all right, but a tad ironic that the people involved belong to parties which are currently cutting back on provisions to mental health services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Terrible rendition, great cause.

As previously mentioned, this would be much better if an actual band performed it, not a bunch of overpaid TDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

chucken1 wrote: »
    Its in the OP ;)

"Bridge over troubled water"

I'd see this as a positive thing to do so lets not bash them.
    Its all about suicide prevention people!
    Its making me want to kill myself just thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Every time the word "charity" pops up, there seems to be a general consensus that it's always a "good cause" and "don't knock it, they're doing good".

Well, that might be the case sometimes, but in this case, that's a load of complete bollox in fairness.

The only reason that the likes of Pieta House exist is because of this & previous governments abysmal track record in providing adequate state funded mental health services.

These politicians - who are elected senators & TDs - have the power to make real change. But instead of focusing on trying to bring about any kind of fundamental or radical changes in how our over-bureaucratic health service is in the stranglehold of senior management & consultants, they would rather spend their time pissing about making a charity single & making themselves look good and pampering their egos in the process.

This is not what they were elected to do & this record will do no more than throw a few coffers into a charity which - if these wasters did their fucking jobs in the first place - would not even have a reason to exist.

Don't be fooled by this - this is pure politics in motion... the act of looking good in the public eye while doing fuck all in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's basically a case of "fuck this fixing the health service lark... let's cut their budget instead & have a sing-song".

Shower of cynical cunts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Every time the word "charity" pops up, there seems to be a general consensus that it's always a "good cause" and "don't knock it, they're doing good".

Well, that might be the case sometimes, but in this case, that's a load of complete bollox in fairness.

The only reason that the likes of Pieta House exist is because of this & previous governments abysmal track record in providing adequate state funded mental health services.

These politicians - who are elected senators & TDs - have the power to make real change. But instead of focusing on trying to bring about any kind of fundamental or radical changes in how our over-bureaucratic health service is in the stranglehold of senior management & consultants, they would rather spend their time pissing about making a charity single & making themselves look good and pampering their egos in the process.

This is not what they were elected to do & this record will do no more than throw a few coffers into a charity which - if these wasters did their fucking jobs in the first place - would not even have a reason to exist.

Don't be fooled by this - this is pure politics in motion... the act of looking good in the public eye while doing fuck all in reality.
    put much more eloquently then I. pieta house is a marvelous place. i know this because of the rte secret millionaire programme recently, the interviews i have heard on radio recently and more.
    these politicians get a little feel good from their foray into 'singing' when they could actually do something useful in their actual jobs to make a bigger difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

No matter how ****e it is, I'll buy it. The money goes towards a great organization

I'm not sure if it's bad form to quote myself, and I still stand by my original comment, but having seen them last night I want to state categorically that I never imagined in my wildness dreams that it would be so utterly ****e !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Is the vat increase on this purchase yet?

• Advertisement
Advertisement