Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda jobs

Options
  • 15-11-2011 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

With all the hype surrounding this local heroes initiative it was dissapointing to see Drogheda td on the news announcing jobs in Louth going once again to Dundalk :eek: We now have 2 td,s but they still cant seem to attract people with jobs to Drogheda . Good to see jobs coming to the county but i would love to see some substantial investment in the town so Drogheda people just might be able to get a job here instead of the constant commute to either Dublin or elsewhere .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭positron

..it was dissapointing to see Drogheda td on the news announcing jobs in Louth going once again to Dundalk.

I am delighted they are coming to Dundalk, way closer than say Warsaw, Prague or Bangalore.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

You are missing the point of my post .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

The problem with any job that becomes available, is that you are competing with thousands of people for a simple sales job, or pub job. Id rather look further afield than Dublin or Dundalk. The UK is very promising for anyone with any sort of education.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

another reason jobs arent coming to drogheda is because we dont heve the infrastructure. the broadband speeds are one example. there is not one single provider in drogheda that can give speeds suitable for a medium-large enterprise...

DYLF wrote: »
    another reason jobs arent coming to drogheda is because we dont heve the infrastructure. the broadband speeds are one example. there is not one single provider in drogheda that can give speeds suitable for a medium-large enterprise...

But they do in Dundalk ?

• Advertisement

Southlouth type, I do get your point, I was just stating the other side of it. :)

Internet access, if there aren't any, is really a killer. Anyone know if there are any tax incentives or rate reductions etc that Drogheda authorities / IDA can offer, or is Dundalk offering something like this? We are not a million miles Dublin, Airport, Swords etc and a large group of educated workforce who are currently sick of commuting to Dublin. I think there's a lot going for Drogheda, I really sure it will pay off in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

I have worked in both Drog & Dundalk. Difference =0.
    Of course that isnt your argument,but you have too think outside of the box. Cash earned by Drogheda people working in Dundalk-spent,for the most part in Drogheda.
    Cash earned by Dundalk people working in Drogheda-spent for the most part in Dundalk.
    Yeah,there are some other factors, but the 30km commute is one of the handiest on the map FFS:rolleyes:
    In any other country, the commute Drog>Dlk or Dlk>Drog would be laughed at,but hey,this is 12 toe's Louth.
    Be happy :D
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/the_commute.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

I have worked in both Drog & Dundalk. Difference =0.
    Of course that isnt your argument,but you have too think outside of the box. Cash earned by Drogheda people working in Dundalk-spent,for the most part in Drogheda.
    Cash earned by Dundalk people working in Drogheda-spent for the most part in Dundalk.
    Yeah,there are some other factors, but the 30km commute is one of the handiest on the map FFS:rolleyes:
    In any other country, the commute Drog>Dlk or Dlk>Drog would be laughed at,but hey,this is 12 toe's Louth.
    Be happy :D
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/the_commute.html

Interesting TV programme.
    I was on a train from Dublin to Belfast this week, and there was an exhausted looking man sitting adjacent to me telling a work colleague that he couldn't cope any more commuting 6 hours round trip a day to and from work.
    The man had a half hour bus journey to get to Dublin station, then a half hour wait for his train from Dublin to Belfast for work every day. His Wife worked in Dublin so he never saw her weekdays. This extreme commuting was putting a stain on his marriage.
    I think this extreme commuting is going to become common place during recession. Its sad that family life is deteriorating as people have to travel farther away to keep working.

JF,the nurse ladies story in that programme is difficult to watch:mad: Realy feel for the family.
    Driving out of Drogheda i would say that once you hit the North rd. then you are almost in Dundalk.
    Out of Dundalk,i used to say that once you hit the Xerox/Carrolls junction then you were in Drogheda.Easiest commute hop ever,and better again that it is well served by buses,trains,other workers that are willing to share with you.
    150 jobs in Dundalk = 150 jobs in Drogheda IMO. And vice versa.

JF,the nurse ladies story in that programme is difficult to watch:mad: Realy feel for the family.
    Driving out of Drogheda i would say that once you hit the North rd. then you are almost in Dundalk.
    Out of Dundalk,i used to say that once you hit the Xerox/Carrolls junction then you were in Drogheda.Easiest commute hop ever,and better again that it is well served by buses,trains,other workers that are willing to share with you.
    150 jobs in Dundalk = 150 jobs in Drogheda IMO. And vice versa.

The point of the thread is that although we are seemingly better represented in government than we have been for years , is that the our ( Drogheda ) td,s still dont seem to be able to attract these jobs to Drogheda . I am not for one minute suggesting that it is a negative thing that Dundalk are getting the jobs , at least its still in the county and a very easy commute as has already been said . Would just love to see some jobs coming directly here , as its been a long time .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

But they do in Dundalk ?

Eh, yup. There's an active commercial ESB fibre optic Exchange in Fundalk. Next?

DKIT is also a major factor and proximity to Belfast

MugMugs wrote: »
    Eh, yup. There's an active commercial ESB fibre optic Exchange in Fundalk. Next?

Whats with the smart arse response ? It was a question ffs :rolleyes:

Whats with the smart arse response ? It was a question ffs :rolleyes:

Nothing smart arse about it. Three factually valid points. One answering a direct query by you and the other two telling you some of the reasons why Dundalk would land the jobs. You're the one rolling eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

With all the hype surrounding this local heroes initiative it was dissapointing to see Drogheda td on the news announcing jobs in Louth going once again to Dundalk :eek: We now have 2 td,s but they still cant seem to attract people with jobs to Drogheda . Good to see jobs coming to the county but i would love to see some substantial investment in the town so Drogheda people just might be able to get a job here instead of the constant commute to either Dublin or elsewhere .

Typical small town attitude. "Drogheda TD"??? He's a Louth TD and got jobs for the county of Louth.

I'm from Dundalk but living and working in South Dublin. I'd be delighted to have an opportunity to work in Drogheda rather than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

This is not correct, I have just tested the UL and DL speed in central Dundalk and Central Drogheda .... indentical.

the broadband speeds are one example. there is not one single provider in drogheda that can give speeds suitable for a medium-large enterprise...
    But they do in Dundalk ?
    Eh, yup. There's an active commercial ESB fibre optic Exchange in Fundalk.
    bottomdog wrote: »
    This is not correct, I have just tested the UL and DL speed in central Dundalk and Central Drogheda .... indentical.

:confused:

doncarlos wrote: »
    Typical small town attitude. "Drogheda TD"??? He's a Louth TD and got jobs for the county of Louth.

I'm from Dundalk but living and working in South Dublin. I'd be delighted to have an opportunity to work in Drogheda rather than here.

Another one missing the point of the post , he is indeed a Louth TD but from Drogheda and the majority of his votes came from Drogheda . As is the case with the majority of past politicians from Louth i would be expecting to see him doing his best to attract employers and new business to his home town . Dermot Ahern anyone :eek: The vast majority of new business , investment and funding etc etc has gone to dundalk and not Drogheda .Thats is a fact and nothing to do with small town attitude nonsense . I want to see a level playing field in the county and for many years there has not been one . And i will again state that i am happy to see the jobs come to Louth instead of outside the county , just want to know when some jobs are actually going to come here directly .

Today's news is that Paypal is looking to setup a 1000+ person office either in Dundalk or Limerick. I hope wish Drogheda was in the running, but it doesn't look like it is, and Paypal seems to have decided against Navan already as it's near-ish to Blanch where they already have an office and they don't want to have to compete with themselves for quality workers, and I wonder if similar thought process is effecting Drogheda's chances for our near-ness to Swords/Airport/Dublin??.

I hope they pick Dundalk - that would be a huge boost for the area. Limmerick would be great too, but Dundalk would be better for us.

Just read the article. This would be a superb boost to Louth! Fantastic news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Brilliant for Dundalk and the whole region if we get them. Hopefully our proximity to both Dublin and Belfast swings it for Dundalk.

Was also in today's Argus that a Chinese company called SATIR are to invest €30million in a new site in the town creating 200 new jobs.

Would be excellent to have 1350 jobs coming to the region over the next year or two.

• Advertisement

The only news I heard in the jobs front in Drogheda, is about Coca Cola (or their Ireland subsidiary) slightly expanding in Drogheda. That was a month or so ago.

I understand this thread and I understand what's being said but. Drogheda - Dundalk is well serviced Bus wise and train wise not to mention has a fantastic motorway to and from it.

Dundalk is a traffic nightmare however is they base in Xerox this avoids a bit of congestion.

All in all. I'd rather be going Drogheda to Dundalk over Dublin.

No amount of traffic can equate to what you'd get in Dublin.

I understand this thread and I understand what's being said but. Drogheda - Dundalk is well serviced Bus wise and train wise not to mention has a fantastic motorway to and from it.

Dundalk is a traffic nightmare however is they base in Xerox this avoids a bit of congestion.

All in all. I'd rather be going Drogheda to Dundalk over Dublin.

No amount of traffic can equate to what you'd get in Dublin.

The point i am trying to make is about the fact that the jobs arent coming here , which is a bad thing for the town . If people are lucky enough to get one of the jobs then grand , no probs driving down to dundalk . The town needs jobs "in" the town and not in a neighboring town . Lots of things come with the creation of jobs in a town like the the employees spending money , feel good factor , potential to attract more business to the town . Fair play to dundalk would just love to see some of it come here . Whats seems to be the problem with that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭lamoss

I think the reason that Dundalk is in the running for the paypals jobs is because they have so much spare office capacity in the town and Drogheda does not. Their is tons of empty offices in the Xerox complex and they have a lot of office space on both sides of the Coes road going up towards the race track. With the property crash the rents for these must have plummeted.

We in Drogheda dont have any office plazas. I cant think of where you could locate 1000 people in town in one place. We have plenty of sites for construction of these type of office plazas, but with no money to build one and time constraints on moving in, we are at a disadvantage.

Its not that far from Drogheda to Dundalk and if jobs do come to our region we will all get a bit of benefit.:)

I understand this thread and I understand what's being said
    Whats seems to be the problem with that ?

Christ on a bike man !

Would you calm down ? I don't have an issue with your point. You've been on the defence here since the off.

I'd love to see Jobs going to Drogheda. In fact, if the 1000 Paypal jobs landed into Drunshambo in Leitrim tomorrow, I'd be over the moon. :confused:

Christ on a bike man !

Would you calm down ? I don't have an issue with your point. You've been on the defence here since the off.

I'd love to see Jobs going to Drogheda. In fact, if the 1000 Paypal jobs landed into Drunshambo in Leitrim tomorrow, I'd be over the moon. :confused:

I havent been on the defensive whatsoever "man" . People dont seem to be able to grasp the concept of jobs coming to Drogheda and not dundalk . Its a very simple idea .

lamoss wrote: »
    I think the reason that Dundalk is in the running for the paypals jobs is because they have so much spare office capacity in the town and Drogheda does not. Their is tons of empty offices in the Xerox complex and they have a lot of office space on both sides of the Coes road going up towards the race track. With the property crash the rents for these must have plummeted.

We in Drogheda dont have any office plazas. I cant think of where you could locate 1000 people in town in one place. We have plenty of sites for construction of these type of office plazas, but with no money to build one and time constraints on moving in, we are at a disadvantage.

Its not that far from Drogheda to Dundalk and if jobs do come to our region we will all get a bit of benefit.:)

Tons of empty space in the town . I drove around the industrial estate today , lots of empty factory and office space . Its not an excuse tbh .

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

I agree with southlouth type, we defo need more of this kind of opportunity in Drogheda.
    As regards office space, theres plenty of it in the town centre. Out of town theres plenty in the Southgate shopping centre as well, not to mention the business parks southlouth type mentions.

You may have have words with Ged Nash SL Type.
    Dundalk is still in the running to secure a major investment from a US based company who are looking for a 100,000sq ft premises for their call centre.
    Local TDs & the IDA dismissed recent reports that the list of locations had been narrowed down to Dundalk & Limerick.However TDs have assured that they will continue to work to secure the positions for the area.
    An unidentified(Paypal) US company is currently seeking an office block to open a call centre that can house the 1000 strong workforce they intend to take on.
    Commercial estate agents HTMeagherO'Reily have been hired to find a suitable premise for the unnamed company(Paypal) which is reported to be anxious to proceed with the venture early in the next year.
    It was reported in the IT last week that that Dundalk had been dismissed by Declan O'Reilly who said that it would be a difficult area in which to find the space.It resulted in a back-lash from local TD's & councillors:
    Ged Nash said "i wrote to the estate agents when i first heard of the company (Paypal) looking for space urging tham to meet me or for them to phyisically visit Dundalk and see what we have to offer.We are going to work with the IDA to secure these positions for the area.Other TDs are going to be fighting for their constituents too.Dundalk is the ideal location;we have good acess, infrastructure & an excellent track record"
    Dundalk Leader 23/11/'11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 rafferr

I would not hold too much creedance with the ability of an individual TD being able to sway a multinational to establish in one particulary area or another. They will assess each location on their merits and what suits the business.
    Dundalk both benefited and suffered from large multinationals; when a large multinational leaves a town the impact is severe. There are a considerable number of empty industrial premises in Dundalk that are testiment to this and perhaps these same buildings are also very attractive to potential investors along with the IT and the research campus.
    Drogheda has suffered at the hands of poor planning and design and is a town of two halves to some extents due to geography (part louth, part Meath; the river etc). Like most towns in Ireland, there has been a lack of foresight in planning that results in traffic congestion, poor roads and poor infrastructure.

Advertisement