Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ministers huge pensions. What happens after they die

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whatislife

How can they justify three grand a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

They go to the great Dail Bar in the sky.

it's not pensions they should be getting. It's penance!

His wife should be entitled to a widow's pension which would be around half of what he was getting.

I'm not sure if ministerial pensions have a 5 year guarantee, where his estate would be entitled to benefits similar to a death in service pay out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

On the subject of pensions, the real issue is that they get to receive more than one pension. One for each office held by them over the years provided they've accumulated two years plus in that position.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Galtee wrote: »
    On the subject of pensions, the real issue is that they get to receive more than one pension. One for each office held by them over the years provided they've accumulated two years plus in that position.

So that's why they played musical chairs up there.

• Advertisement

So that's why they played musical chairs up there.

Oh yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I love how this country rewards incompetence, I definitely got into the wrong line of work, get into politics, be absolutely rubbish at it, profit!

Ideally they should only get one pension based on their years service and their salay.
    But even that model of Defined Benefit is out-dated and it's costing millions.

They could bring in a generous Defined Contribution for all civil servants which would leave a lot more money available for other resources, including bumping up the state pension of €11,975.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Cowen is 51 years old. He should live for another 30 years.

I don't see that happening. Unless he spends his next few handouts on a home gym.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

One for every four years served alone I'm told.
    So (JUST as an example) if your there like Mary Harney who served 20+ years, add up the pensions!
    ...And thats just with being a TD, never mind any more individual increases each might have got depending on any additional office/role you then got!

Its honestly madness.

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    One for every four years served alone I'm told.
    So (JUST as an example) if your there like Mary Harney who served 20+ years, add up the pensions!
    ...And thats just with being a TD, never mind any more individual increases each might have got depending on any additional office/role you then got!

Its honestly madness.

I don't know about the four years mentioned above ie if it runs outside of the qualification of a member of a particular scheme based on their position held in a qualifying office but when in office for 2years+ you are eligible to become a member of the pension scheme in respect of that office.

But yes, madness to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

They decompose in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

When you see elected TD's confirmed as being elected in the count centre's, their exhortations of joy are because of such snazzy benefits. Not the fact they can make a difference.

€150,00 per annum at 51?

I dunno. I really don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They continue taking clandestine payments to rezone clouds in the green belt areas of heaven.

...is this thread an attempt at suggesting that we kill all ex-ministers to save the country money? Would give the word 'severance' a refreshed meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I would gladly 'retire' some of em!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

ah sure whats the point in investing money into schools or health care systems when there useless fatsos out there who could use it more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Dónal wrote: »
    ...is this thread an attempt at suggesting that we kill all ex-ministers to save the country money? Would give the word 'severance' a refreshed meaning.

not at all

BUT

200 million would be saved if they all had accidents tomorrow with their spouses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Is it true what I heard on Live line
    If an ex minister in receipt of a pension pops his / her clogs their spouse automatically gets a 50 % pension for life and any kids are entitled to a pension of € 3,500 per annum until they reach 21 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Ministers huge pensions. What happens after they die

They won't be going to heaven anyhow, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Holy ****... Those sums of money are just insane...

How can all this be justified?! Why not to make a referendum in citing those pensions?!

Advertisement