Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

why is everyone to be punished for a parents failure ?

• 15-11-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭

with regards to the proposed suger tax (and to a less effect any other social issue that claims to protect our children / future )
    why are parents that allow their children get overweight / run wild / cause trouble and so on not mentioned and everything is blamed on the society ?

why should everyone suffer because parents cant provide proper information to their children ? and cant / wont do their job ?

everytime there is a social issue raised it reminds me of the simpons and "wont someone please think of the children" .

just my opinion but it seems like parenting has become more "be my friend and lets be cool" rather then "be my child and do what you are told"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Is it only kids that get fat from eating junk food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Well yeah appearing "Cool" to your childs friend is important. It shows the child a level of comfort and they'll be more comfortable bring their friends into the house.

That way you get a better insight into the characters they are hanging out with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Its cheaper to buy unhealthy food, healthy food is expensive, by rights they should reduce the cost of healthy food.

At the end of the day they are only bringing it it to make money not to help people eat healthily.

I have 3 kids and they are not fat, 1 is a diabetic and needs sugar when her blood sugars drop, which can be 2 times or even 3 times a day/night.

Its a money making racket.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

with regards to the proposed suger tax (and to a less effect any other social issue that claims to protect our children / future )
    why are parents that allow their children get overweight / run wild / cause trouble and so on not mentioned and everything is blamed on the society ?

why should everyone suffer because parents cant provide proper information to their children ? and cant / wont do their job ?

everytime there is a social issue raised it reminds me of the simpons and "wont someone please think of the children" .

just my opinion but it seems like parenting has become more "be my friend and lets be cool" rather then "be my child and do what you are told"

You're still allowed to tell them what to do. Discipline and boundaries are important for raising kids. you're just not able to beat the **** out of your kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Original thread day in AH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

why should everyone suffer because parents cant provide proper information to their children
    Quoted for the lol

When my parents told me sugar was bad for me, I instantly stopped stuffing my face with every sort of junk food under the sun.

When they told me I needed to study more or I wouldn't get a good job, I instantly behaved at school and my grades improved.

When they told me that video games were a waste of time, I stopped playing them, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Sykk wrote: »
    Quoted for the lol

When my parents told me sugar was bad for me, I instantly stopped stuffing my face with every sort of junk food under the sun.

When they told me I needed to study more or I wouldn't get a good job, I instantly behaved at school and my grades improved.

When they told me that video games were a waste of time, I stopped playing them, of course.

No you didn't :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

How can i contact your parents to raise an offspring gripe?

It's more about the output of shit than intake though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Two words.

The Illuminati.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Its cheaper to buy unhealthy food, healthy food is expensive, by rights they should reduce the cost of healthy food.

At the end of the day they are only bringing it it to make money not to help people eat healthily.

I have 3 kids and they are not fat, 1 is a diabetic and needs sugar when her blood sugars drop, which can be 2 times or even 3 times a day/night.

Its a money making racket.......

Thats complete Bullsh1t!!

You can shop for healthy food very cheaply, especially in Aldi and Lidl. Fruit and veg is very cheap in these stores and the meat is very reasonable also.
    Shepherds pie for 6 can be made for a tenner easily from these stores.

Unhealthy food is more convenient is the real reason. Too many people too lazy or "busy" to look after themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Have to concur with this attitude that healthier food is not more expensive...
    Healthy food is about a balance of diet and no concentration on one or other food type.

Convenience and heavily processed food are one of the real problems here and that comes down to parents unwilling/unable to prepare food themselvs or enforce proper eating habits on a child. Intolerances aside, there is far too much pandering to the demands of kids when doing the family shop... leading to costly shopping bills and relatively unhealthy purchases.
    Food companies have a big role to play here... so have educators and society in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

This is ALWAYS rolled out in these threads...as someone who eats healthy all day everyday it has been my experience that buying good healthy food is a lot cheaper than buying crap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

*stands up*

Hi,
    My name is John and.. I'm addicted to sugar.

We might as well tax EVERYTHING or wait, aren't they doing that anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Its cheaper to buy unhealthy food, healthy food is expensive.
    Thats complete Bullsh1t!!. You can shop for healthy food very cheaply, especially in Aldi and Lidl. Fruit and veg is very cheap in these stores and the meat is very reasonable also.

Who's talking bullshít here? Many areas do not have the option of Lidl and Aldi. And if you seriously think it's cheaper to buy healthy food options, then you should see my shopping bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Who's talking bullshít here? Many areas do not have the option of Lidl and Aldi. And if you seriously think it's cheaper to buy healthy food options, then you should see my shopping bill.

I do all my shopping in Dunnes. My food bill is a lot cheaper now than it was when i was eating crap foods.

So it's kind of a case of my shopping bill versus yours.

Which will win...and can we have that music from Star Trek playing while they fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Unhealthy food is cheaper!

All my low-fat ready-meals and diet drinks cost a bomb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Eating proper (not always healthy) food is more time consuming to make than pre-packaged foods.

unfortunately with todays lifestyle people have limited time at home so organisation is the key to a successful diet, currently I have been eating a healthier diet (thanks to the girlfriend going on a diet) .... so meals are prepared at the weekend and frozen, sometimes freshly prepared and cooked during the week.

the main problem is that people prefer to sit in front of TV instead of creating something nice in the kitchen - I mean - Why bother spending an hour or two in the kitchen, preparing and cooking food only to be left with another 30+mins of cleaning up ....when the option of calling a take away and throw the containers/remainder in the bin.

I spend an hour (sometimes and hour and a half) commuting to and from work ...so by the time I get home its approx 6.30-7pm ...make dinner, cook, clean up ...its almost 9ish if not after 9 ..... then bedtime is 10.30 because I have to get up at 6.30 to shower and begin my commute to work.

many others commute a lot more or worse still...they have kids to take care of !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Eating proper (not always healthy) food is more time consuming to make than pre-packaged foods.

unfortunately with todays lifestyle people have limited time at home so organisation is the key to a successful diet, currently I have been eating a healthier diet (thanks to the girlfriend going on a diet) .... so meals are prepared at the weekend and frozen, sometimes freshly prepared and cooked during the week.

the main problem is that people prefer to sit in front of TV instead of creating something nice in the kitchen - I mean - Why bother spending an hour or two in the kitchen, preparing and cooking food only to be left with another 30+mins of cleaning up ....when the option of calling a take away and throw the containers/remainder in the bin.

I spend an hour (sometimes and hour and a half) commuting to and from work ...so by the time I get home its approx 6.30-7pm ...make dinner, cook, clean up ...its almost 9ish if not after 9 ..... then bedtime is 10.30 because I have to get up at 6.30 to shower and begin my commute to work.

many others commute a lot more or worse still...they have kids to take care of !!

It doesn't actually take me that long to make something healthy in the kitchen. Pasta with a salad, fish, mostly take half an hour. My wife can make something that's healthy and edible in half an hour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Eating healthy is a lot cheaper then unhealthy! Its when people start associating expensive ready made 'low fat' crap thats overpriced that they start thinking its expensive. Eating whole foods like nuts, eggs, meat, chicken, vegetables and drinking water, milk is a lot cheaper then buying frozen pizzas and liters of coke, fanta, etc.

Taxing sugar is a load of crap though, I eat healthy 90% of the time but when I want some fast acting carbs, which generally have a large amount of sugar, like after gym time or long cycles I shouldn't have to pay extra for it!

Advertisement