Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports bar&grill in Ratoath

Options
  • 15-11-2011 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Just seen the other day due to open mid october (already behind schedule)..Called The Clinic?????? anybody know anything is it gonna be pub hours or is t just gonna be a restaurant...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jkb_dub

drove by it yesterday and it was open, the quick glimpse I got it looked like more of a sports bar than restaurant. Seemed to be a few TV's dotted around.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Where is it in Ratoath?

It's on the main street, where Mulan used to be.

Mulan's gone? :eek: God that's been around years, hadn't been there in a long time but it used to be gorgeous and very popular.

Yep, Mulan must be gone a year now.

• Advertisement

Shows how much attention I pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I've been living in Ratoath about 3 years at this stage and have tried every restaurant except Mulan. I don't really know why, but it never looked too busy whenever I passed by.

Edit:I do like my pubs though and have moaned in the past about the lack of them in Ratoath. At least this'll give something different. Hope the Guinness is nice and reasonably priced

Shows how much attention I pay!

Of course you don't ubarelycare :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mulan is now Chai. The entrance is in the Courtyard and it still does restaurant and takeaway, it's just smaller than Mulan was. Think both the sports bar and Chinese are owned by the same people.

Mulan is now Chai. The entrance is in the Courtyard and it still does restaurant and takeaway, it's just smaller than Mulan was. Think both the sports bar and Chinese are owned by the same people.

I'd say you are right in that assumption as when they put the sign up first I happened to be passing and there was an Irish man and a Chinese man crossing the street examining it.

If that's the case hopefully the stock Tsingtao

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Is it open yet? Anyone been in? Delighted there's a new spot for watching matches!

I haven't seen it open yet. Wasn't by that way yesterday though.

A few friends were there over the weekend, mixed opinions from
    them. I'll be home next weekend and will probably drop in, any excuse for a pint :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Think they only sell two beers on draught, and one of them is a strange one I can't remember its name. Otherwise its bottles only. There was a big crod there on its opening night for the Ireland Estonia second leg, be intereesting to see if it gets a good crowd at it. Might be good for the likes of the football and superbowl and that kind of thing if they model it on the Woolshed in town which is an excellent venue. Obviousy, Clinic (strange name!) won't be anywhere near as big as the Woolshed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

If you just want to go in, get a pint and watch the match, forget it!

Know of someone who went in, ordered drinks and was left waiting, when the owner was queried, he indcated he was obliged to serve food first with drinks as part of the licence!
    He was waiting on the lads to order food before bringing the drinks :eek:

They got their drinks but be warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

yeah walked the other night and walked straight back out again.....its not a sportsbar at all. just tvs two draught beers that nobody knows how to pull a pint and food.... sure u can still get yur chiniese takeaway out the back.It wont last long

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Why don't ye let them know about your observations and maybe advise them on how to improve it?
    The last thing Ratoath needs is another place going out of business.

Why don't ye let them know about your observations and maybe advise them on how to improve it?
    The last thing Ratoath needs is another place going out of business.

Exactly. I admire anyone starting up a new business at a time like this. Ratoath is not exactly a hub of excitement at night time so it would be nice for something different. I really hope they do well. Will hopefully pop over to check it out over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

I think the decor needs a little bit more effort, its not very inviting looking at all, nor comfortable. Plus the paint job that was done seems to be very slapdash with one coat of paint put over whatever was there before so it just looks unfinished...along with paint on the floor and urinals in mens loo.
    This is all according to my hubby who was in looking at a match there recently, food not the best either. And in fact he mentioned that if the bits on show are to go by he'd be concerned as to what the back of house was like!

Its disappointing because Ive noticed this type of slap dash approach in another new cafe that opened closeby, where there were deflated balloons still pinned to the front of the cafe on a sunday at lunchtime obviously from the opening event...new knick knacks put in which totally didnt match the theme of the last owners so the result was just a strange combination of decor, and again hygiene- tables and floor needing a clean, handmarks all over doors etc...food was tepid and that was our first and last visit. Whoever owns/manages these really needs to look at the importance of front of house appearance and try and put effort into making a place enticing for customers to come into, and more importantly, want to come back to. Food, drinks, service and surroundings...thats all.
    Ratoath doesnt have a great nightlife, and I would expect a full blown nightclub in the middle of the village...but it would be nice if things werent done half heartedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ironfist2149

Fiskar wrote: »
    If you just want to go in, get a pint and watch the match, forget it!

Know of someone who went in, ordered drinks and was left waiting, when the owner was queried, he indcated he was obliged to serve food first with drinks as part of the licence!
    He was waiting on the lads to order food before bringing the drinks :eek:

They got their drinks but be warned.

Now i have been in there a few times now, and that has never been the case, like all restaurants i go to i order drinks before i order food, and the same with this place, never had a problem that you have mentioned..

as some of the others mentioned, i actually like the place, its new its different, it may not have what a pub has, but i dont really think it is a pub, just a trendy restaurant.

thats my take anyway

• Advertisement

Have been here twice in recent weeks. Food is really good and inexpensive. Main problem is no one seems to go or want to go :confused: the first time I was there was just after the Liverpool v United match and it was empty, litterally empty, I was suprised considering I left a packed pub to go there n get food. Anyway, I'll definitely be back for food but probably not for a night out

Advertisement