Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"All "About Home Economics" by Deirdre Madden

Options
  • 15-11-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Just discovered this morning in the "All Things Retro" forum that "All About Home Economics" by Deirdre Madden is reprinted. Available at http://www.deirdremadden.ie/, proceeds are going to the Irish Cancer Society.

I used this text book for Home Economics for Junior Cert- soooo long ago- and I still use it to check out something at least once a week. (It's on the shelf between Jamie Oliver, and my mother's copy of "All In The Cooking.")

EDIT BTW I have no link with the publication, just want to pass on the fact that one of my most used cookery books is out there again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I just saw this myself last week! A total blast from the past and I still have a copy knocking around at home (with the cover falling off!)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

olaola wrote: »
    I just saw this myself last week! A total blast from the past and I still have a copy knocking around at home (with the cover falling off!)

I think the book was supplied with the cover already falling off, and smiley faces drawn on the egg yokes in the bowl. Wonder if the reprint is the same....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Muirgheal wrote: »
    proceeds are going to the Irish Cancer Society.

Just to clarify on this point. Only a minuscule 10% of all profits are going towards the Irish Cancer Society. The people who have registered here to spam this book (now banned) have made much of the charity angle in their posts.

Ten percent is better than nothing but it's not something to rush out and buy if you think you're serving charity by doing so. Far better to donate the cost of the book in its entirety directly to the charity imo and forget about buying the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Muirgheal wrote: »
    proceeds are going to the Irish Cancer Society.

Just to clarify on this point. Only a minuscule 10% of all profits are going towards the Irish Cancer Society. The people who have registered here to spam this book (now banned) have made much of the charity angle in their posts.

Ten percent is better than nothing but it's not something to rush out and buy if you think you're serving charity by doing so. Far better to donate the cost of the book in its entirety directly to the charity imo and forget about buying the book.
    Where's your proof on the 10% angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

duploelabs wrote: »

LOL

It says so on the website promoting the book

181416.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Im sure the publishers didnt reprint it or distribute it for free though, so they have to cover the costs somehow i suppose.

Doesnt bother me anyway, im still buying it cos i was raging that my mother dumped my old one in the bin! :( And its not like i dont have enough cookbooks already....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I still have mine there are some of the recipes I still use.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

r3nu4l wrote: »

I apologise- I just found out about the reprint this morning, I thought other cooks of my era would like to know about it, and I hadn't seen it mentioned in the thread so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Sharrow wrote: »
    duploelabs wrote: »

LOL

It says so on the website promoting the book

181416.jpg
    Whoops my bad, the 10% of which they are referring to is what the people (the two daughters of Deirdre Maddan) who are releasing the book are receiving. The rest of the profits go to the publisher

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Folks, the standard author's fee for a book is 10% of each sale. Thus, the authors are donating their entire share of the profit to charity. The other 90% goes to the publishers and everyone else who worked on the book. So they are donating as much to charity as they can. Let's leave it at that on the topic of charity, and return the discussion to the actual book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I still have that book at home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Her daughters are on Tubridy right now talking about the book.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i still have mine and use it a lot. it still has the sewing pattern for the apron in it :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

God, that brings back memories!

Haddock Cobbler anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

Nice book - I stole my sister's copy when she finished her intercert decades ago and still use it for recipies.

Doesn't over-complicate things. Almost went mad two years ago when I thought someone had binned it on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I think the book was supplied with the cover already falling off, and smiley faces drawn on the egg yokes in the bowl. Wonder if the reprint is the same....

lmao

Is that book not used in secondary schools anymore?

I still have mine, only school book I held on to, dunno why only got in to baking in the past couple of years and I was brutal at school. My chutney turned hard as a rock and I kept eating all the whisked egg white, dancing whole chickens across the counter and a lot of fn and blindin and not always having all the ingredients that I was told to bring in ..nightmare.

Book is very easy to follow though so if anyone is even looking for a basic recipe book it's handy. Think the only recipe I ever got right was rock buns.

Maybe if people already have the book even if the donated the 10% to the ICS anything would help.
    I just used the book yesterday when my young one kept asking me what the difference between steak and beef was lol

..have nowt to do with the book either just happened to use it in school as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

I did home ec between 1995 - 2000 & I'm racking my brains & I can't remember this book. Maybe there were others on the syllabus we used. I do remember my home ec teacher banging a soup ladle on the desk to get abit of ciúnas!!!

Advertisement