Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can a culture be created?

• 15-11-2011 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

There are thousands of unique and diverse cultures in the world. Human behaviour is so flexible I'm often amazed to see what great changes occur in very short distances.

One thing that I do wish to see, even as an experiment, is an artificially created culture. A way of doing things, interacting with people, manners and thinking that would be created intentionally for any given reason.
    I know everyone will say it would be artificial and not equal any natural culture, but given time to morph from the original structure, to something more natural. We could use all the knowledge that we have gained so far to base our actions. How we treat children, how we give salutations and respect, how we think of our place in the world and with others.

In most societies many things that are taboo shouldn't be, and many things that should be aren't. We could instil a philosophy based on what we think would really be good for us all. A drive for science and understanding, traditions that bond families and people, or show individuals their own independence. What ever we so choose.

Firstly give your thoughts on the possibility and secondly what values should a new culture aspire to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Eh...we are a created culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I inadvertently created one once by leaving an open bottle of Yop under my bed for 3 months when I was a teenager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Yes, all you need is an agar plate and a sample of bacteria

USA! USA! USA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

Yeah it's called a cult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

talkinyite wrote: »
    Yeah it's called a cult.

It's pronunced Yakult

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

smegmar wrote: »
    One thing that I do wish to see, even as an experiment, is an artificially created culture. A way of doing things, interacting with people, manners and thinking that would be created intentionally for any given reason.

It's called Marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I think it's perfectly possible to create an artificial culture, but the problem revolves around imperfections creeping in, and the culture not being how you planned it.

That said, any culture worshipping me as a fearsome Godking would be ok with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Fückin' Arthur's Day threads!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

I would theorise that it would be possible given enough willing people to get involved, enough space to play it out, and a well devised plan with a but of experimentation.

HOWEVER, the problem is you will never have enough time in one lifetime, as to be a true "natural" culture, based on an idea, one must be born into it and develop under its intricacies.

Would be nice to see though.

It may happen someday if quantum computing gets under way and we create an infinitely complex artificial model of the universe that we can edit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

smk89 wrote: »
    Yes, all you need is an agar plate and a sample of bacteria

:( I was going to say Petri dish.

aido179 wrote: »
    HOWEVER, the problem is you will never have enough time in one lifetime, as to be a true "natural" culture, based on an idea, one must be born into it and develop under its intricacies.

Not really, within the social sphere cultures rise and fall continuously , multiple cultures have developed, risen to their peak and then receded within your lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Look at Iran before and after the Islamic revolution. Look at Russia before and after the fall of the Tsars. Look at Germany during the 1930s. Look at Ireland after independence. Look at America in the 20th Century.

In short, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

All cultures are created.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Eh...we are a created culture.

HAHAHA!! That made my afternoon. What Ireland 'has' could not be construed in any way as being a 'culture'. Hatin' on English and drinking and some sport here and there do not a culture make.

But if the OP's intention is to create an Irish culture, create an Irish cuisine while you're at it!

Andy!! wrote: »
    HAHAHA!! That made my afternoon. What Ireland 'has' could not be construed in any way as being a 'culture'. Hatin' on English and drinking and some sport here and there do not a culture make.

But if the OP's intention is to create an Irish culture, create an Irish cuisine while you're at it!

Of course it could, i don't think you understand what a culture is, or at the very least you are making the mistake of assuming that a culture needs to appeal to you specifically to have any merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

smegmar wrote: »
    There are thousands of unique and diverse cultures in the world. Human behaviour is so flexible I'm often amazed to see what great changes occur in very short distances.

One thing that I do wish to see, even as an experiment, is an artificially created culture.

Firstly give your thoughts on the possibility and secondly what values should a new culture aspire to?

No this should be avoided at all costs!!! - look what happens when this takes place...

We should learn from our mistakes!!!

Advertisement