Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs of rewiring

Options
  • 15-11-2011 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate of how much it will cost to rewire a 3bed semi, built in the 50s? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

basic spec i reckon from 2500-3000 upwards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

how long is a piece of string??

Extra double sockets,wired for sky/upc/free to air,cat5/cat6 points and so on....

Also type of facia plate,as in normal white plastic or metal (brushed or polished chrome,bronze,steel??)

It all adds up fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

basic spec would mean only one light and 2-3 sockets in a room

• Registered Users Posts: 46 cbrlover

If it is of any help to you.

My brother has just bought a house and is going to get it rewired. I know it makes a difference so I will say he will not be living in the house when the work is being done. He went down the line of getting an electrician to quote for labour and he will supply the gear. It will be to a standard level as the house will be rented out.

Labour €1200

I just got a quote for him from a wholesaler using a list from the contractor for €750. This includes 6 down lights, cabling and switch for shower, 6 TV and phone points, door bell, cable for alarm, back box’s screws and all the bits that go with it.

It could be a way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

cbrlover wrote: »
    If it is of any help to you.

My brother has just bought a house and is going to get it rewired. I know it makes a difference so I will say he will not be living in the house when the work is being done. He went down the line of getting an electrician to quote for labour and he will supply the gear. It will be to a standard level as the house will be rented out.

Labour €1200

I just got a quote for him from a wholesaler using a list from the contractor for €750. This includes 6 down lights, cabling and switch for shower, 6 TV and phone points, door bell, cable for alarm, back box’s screws and all the bits that go with it.

It could be a way to go.

there'll be another 400 or so on top of that
    for certification if he's not a registered contractor

and any remedial work needed

• Advertisement

M cebee wrote: »
    there'll be another 400 or so on top of that
    for certification if he's not a registered contractor

and any remedial work needed

He is a registered electrician and his price includes certification.

Unlike some electricians he now prices work at 2011 not 2008 rates. Hence he is very busy but in his words he would prefer to be busy charging less rather than quite and charge more and moaning about having no work like others living in the past.

He is a registered electrician and his price includes certification.

Unlike some electricians he now prices work at 2011 not 2008 rates. Hence he is very busy but in his words he would prefer to be busy charging less rather than quite and charge more and moaning about having no work like others living in the past.

more like 1911 rates!

is it a nixer or tax+vat

it's just that there's wide variance on these threads between

-cash prices ,no cert available

-cash prices and cert

- cert ,vat and tax

along with all the other variables

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hence he is very busy but in his words he would prefer to be busy charging less rather than quite and charge more and moaning about having no work like others living in the past.
    I remember being warned by my accountant about the "busy fool syndrome".

IMHO working for as little as that will put him out of business.
    Also he would make far more working as an electrician for someone else.

I remember being massively undercut on price on a particular job. The customer showed me the finished product a year later. Cr@p materials, poor workmanship, lots of problems and the contractor will no longer answer his phone.

All above board as my brother need receipts to claim against his Tax’s on the property

And before you go off on another one trying to defend high prices his price is fixed and includes cutting out and fixing the walls after.

Maybe his “1911” pricing has him out working and not sitting surfing the net. He says he can get out of it in 4-5 days on his own. Take the VAT off the 1200 and you have a decent wage, more than I earn anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    I remember being massively undercut on price on a particular job. The customer showed me the finished product a year later. Cr@p materials, poor workmanship, lots of problems and the contractor will no longer answer his phone.

100%. Seen exactly this quite a few times down the years.

• Advertisement

Unlike some electricians he now prices work at 2011(s) not 2008 rates.

Who is 2008?:D

All above board as my brother need receipts to claim against his Tax’s on the property

And before you go off on another one trying to defend high prices his price is fixed and includes cutting out and fixing the walls after.

Maybe his “1911” pricing has him out working and not sitting surfing the net. He says he can get out of it in 4-5 days on his own. Take the VAT off the 1200 and you have a decent wage, more than I earn anyway.

you can surf the net on your phone these days

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

you can surf the net on your phone these days

Yup! I'm posting this from an iPhone.

Go away out of that, your at home doing nothing:pac:

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Go away out of that, your at home doing nothing:pac:
    True, it's a fair cop :(

Take all the overheads off it as well, and you might prefer your own wage.

samsung galaxy europa here-most of the time

does the job but i keep thanking people and reporting posts inadvertently

samsung galaxy europa here-most of the time

does the job but i keep thanking people and reporting posts inadvertently

A feck, ye thanked me for the first time ever last week, now your telling me it was a mistake:eek::mad:

ya i don't believe in this thanking business generally

Yea i can see your point there alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

jasus lads
    get a room

Advertisement