Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Player on IPad

• 15-11-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Quick one - how can I view RTE Player on iPad. I know you cant view flash but is there any other way I can view shows on it.

My dad wants to know this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

iPad (and iphone) app due to be released before Xmas.
    Not possible until then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Download the app iSwifter, its an app/browser that allows you to view flash content. Its free to download with an in app purchase of 3.99 (i think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

If you are jailbroken you can install xbmc from Cydia and then there is an add on (VODIE) that will let you do RTE Player in better quality than the pc. It is just brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Download the app iSwifter, its an app/browser that allows you to view flash content. Its free to download with an in app purchase of 3.99 (i think).

I had that installed a few months ago, waste of time and effort. Very slow and very buggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

gzoladz wrote: »
    If you are jailbroken you can install xbmc from Cydia and then there is an add on (VODIE) that will let you do RTE Player in better quality than the pc. It is just brilliant.

agreed vodie is the best way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I love this app for watching US content as you don't need any proxy and it often works better than the dedicated apps for certain networks. However the stream is routed through the US so while it will play rte player, it will only play you content designated for rte player international which is only rte produced shows, like news etc. If your dad doesnt want to see Home and Away or Desperate Housewives etc it'd be grand though.

XMBC is a good option too. It is a bit buggy though and I find it doesnt always play the episode I chose, it might play the one before or after, so for oldies it might get a bit confusing.

XMBC is a good option too. It is a bit buggy though and I find it doesnt always play the episode I chose, it might play the one before or after, so for oldies it might get a bit confusing.

You are 100% right. Still deffo a try but I should note that if you never used xbmc before it will take sometime to get your head around it and understand how it works, the add ons, etc.

It is easy enough, but do not expect an app that you will install and use out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 vodkatime

Installed xbmc and vodie on my iPad 2 there last night. I've never used xbmc before so I took me a good while to figure out how to get it working. very handy now for watching the rte player but as others said it's not the easiest to get your head around at first.

There is a page with a lot of info about the program, add ons, etc. Not sure if I am allowed to post links to external sites but it is very easy to find on google.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpbdrogheda

Hi,

Im hoping someone can help me here. I have downloaded and install XBMC from Cydia. I have also ssh'd the latest Vodie zip file onto iPhone and placed it into /private/var/mobile.

But when i open up XBMC and try to install Vodie i can't see it??? EIther under Videos - add ons or just Add ons. I don't seem to have an option to install from zip file. Can someone tell me where i am going wrong?

I have a 3gs running iOS 5.0

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi,

Im hoping someone can help me here. I have downloaded and install XBMC from Cydia. I have also ssh'd the latest Vodie zip file onto iPhone and placed it into /private/var/mobile.

But when i open up XBMC and try to install Vodie i can't see it??? EIther under Videos - add ons or just Add ons. I don't seem to have an option to install from zip file. Can someone tell me where i am going wrong?

I have a 3gs running iOS 5.0

Thanks

This is where I got stuck as well. I downloaded vodie on the iPad itself. You don't extract it or anything or place it in the xbmc folder. I just left it in the download folder. Then you open xbmc and go to settings. It's over on the far right. Very annoying on the iPad cause it doesn't show up and you need to scroll across which is a task in it self. Then go to add ons and then click install from zip file. This is where I browsed to the download folder and selected the vodie zip file. That pretty much it. Worked for me after that..

Ok i downloaded the zip file directly from safari on the iPhone. It seems to save it in the documents folder as opposed to the download folder. Is this ok?

When I open up XBMC i too can't see the settings. And can't figure out how to scroll to the right :(

At this stage Im almost about to give up. How do i scroll?

I'm not sure what the correct way is to scroll across. The way that worked for me is just clicking on like programs or what ever and then click the home icon on the top to go back to the main screen. You might have to repeat this a few times. This seems to move the screen across and settings shows up. It's very frustrating. I'm sure there another way but haven't found it yet...

Got the scrolling, but god was it painful. And eventually got Settings :)

When i click on Add-ons there i do not see the option for adding from a zip file.

Ok Vodka, I got it eventually!!!!

Thanks for all your help. I would have given up without you.

When you go into settings and then add ons click the two dots at the top. it brings you back to the main add ons screen where you will see install form zip

I can't remember the last time I came across a program that was more frustrating to use. I suppose it was just ported to the iPhone and iPad and not ment for it originally.

Edit

Glad you got it. I remember how head wreaking it was when I was trying to set it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It actually wasn't as bad before the last update. It's now verging on too annoying to use but rteplayer keeps me coming back for more. You have to suffer for your Home and Away etc though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeadEight

jtown wrote: »
    Quick one - how can I view RTE Player on iPad.

I would just install the RTÉ player app from the app store!

Advertisement