Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford On Ice

• 15-11-2011 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Heard an advert for it today on Beat.
    Anyone any info on it, is it the same company that brought it to the park a few years back ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

And there was me thinking it was a documentary on last year's winter! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

Not sure very little info can be found on em, all I was able to find was that someone in Kerry has the website registered. If it's anything like the last one they will be a constant stream of ambulance going to the hospital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Waterford-On-Ice/178998658853298

Waterford on Ice.. Coming soon to the Quay Waterford. December to January. Keep an eye out for more updates & information
    Opening times:

Mon - Thurs 4pm - 10pm
    Fri 4pm -11pm
    Sat 11am - 10pm
    Sun 11am - 9pm

We are delighted to announce that we will be holding a recruitment night on the week of 21st Nov for staff for Waterford on Ice.
    Good Skating ability is essential and First Aid cert will be a major bonus.
    Keep checking back here for further details.

all info from facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Nypd wrote: »
    Heard an advert for it today on Beat.
    Anyone any info on it, is it the same company that brought it to the park a few years back ?

http://www.waterfordonice.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Waterford laddy

will be a great addition to waterford this christmas
    and opening beside flowers by lucy on the quayside -
    Carosel in JR sq, market, busking, carol singers ... looking to be a busy christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

I'd say it will be a great craic coming up to christmas! I'd imagine it is probably a similar set up to the rink they set up in Smithfield in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

I'd say it will be a great craic coming up to christmas! I'd imagine it is probably a similar set up to the rink they set up in Smithfield in Dublin.

Anyone know prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Weird question but can anyone who has been there tell me if they sell peanuts?

My wife is highly allergic and don't wanna go down if they are in plentiful supply there!!!

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

jo06555 wrote: »
    Anyone know prices?

€14 per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

jo06555 wrote: »
    Anyone know prices?

Prices :
    Over 12's : €14
    Under 12's : €12
    Family 4 : €40
    Family 3 : €35
    Group 10+ : €11pp

• Advertisement

lassykk wrote: »
    Weird question but can anyone who has been there tell me if they sell peanuts?

My wife is highly allergic and don't wanna go down if they are in plentiful supply there!!!

Thanks

Nevermind got through to Waterford on Ice myself and they don't sell peanuts despite the concession stand being called Mr Peanut.

Doubt anyone else cares unless they suffer from a severe nut allergy but said i'd answer my question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

This post has been deleted.
    must be a severe allergy bud. At least now you know it's safe to bring her down. Odd name for a place that doesn't sell nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

hope the skates are a lot better than last time, I nearly broke me neck landing after a triple falco!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Godsentme wrote: »
    hope the skates are a lot better than last time, I nearly broke me neck landing after a triple falco!:cool:

+1. I remember doing a 5 rotation axel and it felt like I was wearing flip-flops! :cool:

seanybiker wrote: »
    Nevermind got through to Waterford on Ice myself and they don't sell peanuts despite the concession stand being called Mr Peanut.

Doubt anyone else cares unless they suffer from a severe nut allergy but said i'd answer my question
    must be a severe allergy bud. At least now you know it's safe to bring her down. Odd name for a place that doesn't sell nuts

It is unfortunately... Being around them wouldn't kill her but it causes a horrible reaction.

Aeroplanes are a nightmare cos so many give out nuts during a flight.

At least she can go skating anyway:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

This post has been deleted.
    Airplanes are a nightmare because they're jusy wrong. I'm a land lover me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

seanybiker wrote: »
    Airplanes are a nightmare because they're jusy wrong. I'm a land lover me :)

Ah gwan now Seany it's the same physics as why birds fly, is that just wrong too FFS? Lmfao!

If anyone has teenagers going ice skating just be aware that some of the staff are taking delight in clipping them so they'll fall and also 2 staff will target someone and physically grab them and knock them over.

I've heard of a number of these incidents from people who've witnessed it including one of my sons.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

deisemum wrote: »
    If anyone has teenagers going ice skating just be aware that some of the staff are taking delight in clipping them so they'll fall and also 2 staff will target someone and physically grab them and knock them over.

I've heard of a number of these incidents from people who've witnessed it including one of my sons.

That is a very serious allegation that if true would mean that staff are assaulting people using the facility. Thing is, i know the people who run and operate the ice rink and their professionalism is beyond reproach. Plus it makes no sense for what you allege is happening to happen, it is simply bad for business

If you are aware of such things happening you should contact the manager and or the Gardai

I will contact management so they're aware of it because my son loves the place and I don't want to stop him going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭eagerv

Went yesterday evening, me, the missus and two children. At €35 for family ticket we thought it was good value and very well run. An hour is a long time, am still suffering a bit today! More age related though. Supprised myself how well we did considering it was a first for all of us.
    Certainly something we will remember, can't wait to return..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

invalid wrote: »
    That is a very serious allegation that if true would mean that staff are assaulting people using the facility. Thing is, i know the people who run and operate the ice rink and their professionalism is beyond reproach. Plus it makes no sense for what you allege is happening to happen, it is simply bad for business

If you are aware of such things happening you should contact the manager and or the Gardai

I can't comment on the other allegation, but I would disagree with your opinion on the professionalism of the staff. My experience was a total nightmare. Far too many on the ice, free for all to get and return skates. People herded on and off the ice like cattle at start and end of session. I had a 5 year old with me who was nearly trampled. I had the session booked as it was at a peak time, but most others just turned up and payed, what is the point of booking?

Having said all that I contacted them and they phoned me back, apologised and offered me a complimentary Family pass as that is what I had originally booked. So they did deal with the issue, I just hope they control the amount they let on the ice per session in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Anyone I've talked to who's been on the ice so far has said they should have had ages set to hours. Kids bumping into adults and adults trying not to fall into kids who are too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭eagerv

Perhaps we were lucky yesterday, it wasn't too busy at 6pm.
    Lots of staff and any messing was quickly stopped.
    Thoroughly enjoyed it, much more so than BurgerKing afterwards, cost almost as much for the four of us and was over in 15 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

deisemum wrote: »

Was down having a go myself, have to say the rink that was in the park was far better run than this one.
    Didn't see any incidents but didn't see much staff or security

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

I went with my female friend recently, I don't quite have the best of balance and I was very cautious the entire time. What really irritates me about the place is,

1. Girls in groups of 4+ linking to one another, (one falls they all fall, and you trip)
    2. Some skaters with lets say... an advanced skill would be skating way too fast while there are beginners floating around. It's very dangerous as your movement can be very unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    I went with my female friend recently, I don't quite have the best of balance and I was very cautious the entire time. What really irritates me about the place is,

1. Girls in groups of 4+ linking to one another, (one falls they all fall, and you trip)
    2. Some skaters with lets say... an advanced skill would be skating way too fast while there are beginners floating around. It's very dangerous as your movement can be very unpredictable.

I went with the missus and daughter the other day and I have to agree with you 100% there.
    There is too much a mix of different people going at ye same time.
    They really should of broke it down to different levels.
    While we were there the amount of people hugging the wall was unbelievable and this was because of all these lads who thought they were the bees knees flying all over the place scaring the dhit outta people.
    And then there ware all the teens holding each others hands blocking up the whole place or pushing each other to see who would fall.
    There were about 10 stewards on the ice and half of them spent the time in the middle of this with their friends.
    Not once did I see any steward pull someone aside to tell them go cop on.
    In the end it pissed me off so much I left after half an hour.
    And I won't be going back to any of them again till they sort something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

cococoady wrote: »
    I went with the missus and daughter the other day and I have to agree with you 100% there.
    There is too much a mix of different people going at ye same time.
    They really should of broke it down to different levels.
    While we were there the amount of people hugging the wall was unbelievable and this was because of all these lads who thought they were the bees knees flying all over the place scaring the dhit outta people.
    And then there ware all the teens holding each others hands blocking up the whole place or pushing each other to see who would fall.
    There were about 10 stewards on the ice and half of them spent the time in the middle of this with their friends.
    Not once did I see any steward pull someone aside to tell them go cop on.
    In the end it pissed me off so much I left after half an hour.
    And I won't be going back to any of them again till they sort something out.

I know it's nearly finished (I think it ceases in a couple of days) but it really threw me off going there for a second time. Likewise take for example a group of girls 14-16 holding hands, they don't have any regard for others around them, they will just grab onto the nearest thing and take them down with them.

I have never seen a marshal pull aside anyone, i've nearly felt like having a word with one or two young lads myself. My lady friend and me were holding hands just so i could maintain my balance, but we were cautious of the people around us... slowing down for the girl in front of us about to fall... etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

The same can be said of the beginners I know of someone who had their wrist broken because a beginner dragged he down as they couldn't control themselves. The problem is that the beginners feel they can go into the centre easily but as the signs say in there stay close to the edge starting off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I went with my female friend recently,

Going ice-skating isn't a friend thing.

Make your move man before someone else does!!!

Advertisement