Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone Warehouse - most useless staff ever!!!

Options
  • 15-11-2011 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Afternoon all,

I brought my galaxy s2 into cw dundrum for repair on thurs evening last as my screen kept freezing. All was going fine, I asked how long I would be without it as I needed it for work and was told about 7-10 days which would leave me at the end of this week. Not great but the best that could be done. I was also told I could track my phone's repair online.

Anyway checked online over the weekend and again Monday morning only to find that my phone wasnt listed for repair :confused:. Called cw yesterday at lunch and was assured the phone was sent to the repair guys and had been received just hadn't been logged on the system. I was told it should be on the system this morning. Checked again just before lunch and got the no phone available message again. Called cw just now, only to be told that the repair guys had not received my phone (got cw to call them) despite it only having to go as far as sandyford. :mad::mad: Cw agent told me that the courrier picked it up friday and it would arrive in sandyford sometime today. From what I can see this is cw trying to fob me off and phone probably hasnt been sent yet. I was told which courrier cw use and know they offer same day delivery as I use them for work myself sometimes.

Sorry for such a long post but this is really bugging me and when/if I do get my phone back the cw agent is going to get a piece of my mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

This doesn't help your current predicament but I always find it easier to bring the phone to Sandyford or your nearest repair centre rather than use the phone shop's repair service. Always quicker if you have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I tried to cancel my CW Insurance on my phone. Despite calling into the shop on 4 occasions and calling them at least 5 times, the insurance was not cancelled.
    Their excuses ranged from 'our system is down' to 'only the manager can do it and they're off today'.

It took me over a year to sort it out.

Never again. :mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭Lemmewinks

I've had nothing but bad experiences with these clowns. Incompetence at the highest level. They're just incapable idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭razor425

So it appears I'm no the only one to have problems with these idiots. Never dealing with them again after my current contract is over.
    I had a similar problem with insurance myself dilallio but after 2 calls getting nowhere I just cancelled the direct debit from my bank a/c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They usually wait until they have a batch of several phones for repair as that way they get free postage/courier from the repair company, this might explain your delay op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Did they not give you a phone while yours was being fixed?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭razor425

I did get a replacement while mine was being fixed but it was a bog standard phone that could just make calls and send messages. I need a phone with a camera and access to my emails would be very helpful for work as I'm out of the office more often than not. To add insult to injury they made me pay a €35 deposit on it (Surely having my galaxy s2 was enough of a deposit). I have just found out that this phone sells for €18:eek::eek: and probably has €10 free credit with it. :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tarkovsky

All this sounds familiar..

I went in many times with my faulty Sony Ericsson W595 as it kept freezing. They said they ´d send it off but it would come back with the same problem. I waited a month the first time. They never called to say it was ready and when I collected it, the problem occurred again after a week and it seized altogether. I gave up and started using my old Sony Ericsson again for 6 months( it freezes occasionally but is usable.) I missed not having a 2nd phone and tried again to get the W595 repaired. I waited a month , never received a call from them, went in again and nothing had happened. This time it hadn´t been sent off at all. Sent again ( all the time I was told it would still be under waranty). Finally it was sent back from fonfix saying the waranty wasn´t valid as over a year. However my problems occurred before the end of the first year and it was never fixed. They refused to replace it even though I told them I´d take them to the small claims Courts.

I think there´s a big <SNIP> going on apart from just general incompetence. Someone mentioned they delay sending repairs until they have a batch as it saves courrier costs? I heard later from CPW that after 3 registered repairs they have to replace the phone if it´s faulty. I think they claim it´s in for repair when it´s not to avoid having to give you a replacement.

If others have more info on this repair/ non-repair trend and delaying please let me know.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

There's no hard limit on the number of repairs. The idea is that between repair/replace/refund one is chosen and if that doesn't work, then another. It's meant to promote a sort of conciliatory process rather than an adversarial one.

Essentially retailer and consumer are supposed to discuss the matter and reach a solution that is acceptable and fair to both of them. When you get a retailer who properly engages with it, it works well for all involved. If you get a retailer who does not engage properly and tries to short cut or cheat the system then it doesn't work out and there is a need for the small claims court.

The main problem is that most people just can't afford to take the day off work to go to the small claims court so shops can ignore people completely if they like and they eventually go away.

As to the OP's issue. Tell CPW to get your phone back to you asap and deal with it yourself. You absolutely shouldn't have to but it's just the quickest way to do it if you need the phone for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Have you tried contacting the CW team on their twitter? I was having issues getting my phone repaired and contacted them - they sorted me out within a few days and when they got nowhere they got me a new phone instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If a repair is attempted it must be permenant! If a phone is repaired and a while later something else goes wrong it would indicate that the phone was not fit for putpose and not reasonably durable.

With any phone shop let them repair once only and give tham 10 days to effect the repair as this is a reasonable time. If they refuse to replace or refund after this just get the small claims court forms and fill them in rather than argue with shop staff who are not allowed to be of any help if it involves your statutory rights!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They usually wait until they have a batch of several phones for repair as that way they get free postage/courier from the repair company, this might explain your delay op
    Tarkovsky wrote: »
    Someone mentioned they delay sending repairs until they have a batch as it saves courrier costs?

It's free for CPW to send phones back to the repair company, so that's not the case. They can send a phone a day if they want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I had similar dealings with them before. I was paying for insurance and a brand new phone stopped working after a few day. The scumbags gave me the run around for over a month, and then handed me back the phone.

When I got home from the shop, I discovered nothing had been done to the phone and the exact same problem was still there. I rang carphone warehouse immediately and the scumbag in customer service tried to claim that I had damaged it driving home from the shop. I actively warn everyone I know off that shoddy operation.

Advertisement