Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Architectural Technician Costs

• 15-11-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can give me a ballpark guide for costs of an Architectural Technician's costs. I'd rather work off a fixed fee basis than a %.

I am renovating an old coach house which has two large garages that I want to convert into living space by glazing the current garage door openings and making two openings in the internal walls. Whilst this is fairly straightforward because the internal walls are lood bearing, and one looks already potentially fragile, I would need someone to make sure all the structural concerns are addressed.

Any advice much appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

schmittel wrote: »
    Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can give me a ballpark guide for costs of an Architectural Technician's costs. I'd rather work off a fixed fee basis than a %.

I am renovating an old coach house which has two large garages that I want to convert into living space by glazing the current garage door openings and making two openings in the internal walls. Whilst this is fairly straightforward because the internal walls are lood bearing, and one looks already potentially fragile, I would need someone to make sure all the structural concerns are addressed.

Any advice much appreciated, thanks!
    here's my thoughts in brief, as I'm not really sure what your asking

what would you work for per hour, then add the expenses of being self-employed: office, insurance, tax/rates etc
    then work out how long its going to take, for design, regulation compliance, planning, detailed designed/tender, construction issues (the known knowns and the unknown unknowns:)) and there you go..

is the building listed? have you sought advice for someone with conservation experience? I would think you'll also require a structural engineer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

BryanF wrote: »

what would you work for per hour, then add the expenses of being self-employed: office, insurance, tax/rates etc
    then work out how long its going to take, for design, regulation compliance, planning, detailed designed/tender, construction issues (the known knowns and the unknown unknowns:)) and there you go..

is the building listed? have you sought advice for someone with conservation experience? I would think you'll also require a structural engineer..

I think the OP is asking what might be a reasonable hourly rate, to engage an Arch/Tech.
    Not a total fee to assist in renovating the project, as of course no one could give a price on the basis of a post

Reasonable question I would have thought, as he does not want to go down the % route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I price work on a per job rather than a % basis, and I will quote over the phone for a new/green field job. But, I will never quote for a renovation/extension job until I have seen the site/works.

The risk is that the person wishing the works to be done will play it all down over the phone and then you find there's twice the work involved when you see the job.

Just my observation from over 20 years in the business.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭hometruths

martinn123 wrote: »
    I think the OP is asking what might be a reasonable hourly rate, to engage an Arch/Tech.
    Not a total fee to assist in renovating the project, as of course no one could give a price on the basis of a post

Spot on, thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭hometruths

BryanF wrote: »

I understand the expenses of being self-employed a bit too well.

Building is not listed. Yes I will require a stuctural engineer but having engaged one in the past I am familiar with the costs. Before I engaged him I asked wiser folk than I for a rough figure of the going rate, and then was able to make an informed decision when he gave me a quote. I thought I'd try the same approach prior to entering into any discussions with an AT.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

schmittel wrote: »
    I understand the expenses of being self-employed a bit too well.

Building is not listed. Yes I will require a stuctural engineer but having engaged one in the past I am familiar with the costs. Before I engaged him I asked wiser folk than I for a rough figure of the going rate, and then was able to make an informed decision when he gave me a quote. I thought I'd try the same approach prior to entering into any discussions with an AT.
    I think an AT has to consider what expertises/ role is required, and as PUT said, you'd need to see what the job entails first, I would easily spend half day considering such a job before quoting.

best of luck with your project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It really depends. It could be anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand

Advertisement