Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Negatively surprised"

• 15-11-2011 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

WTF?? I'm seeing this expression pop up more and more often. Is this an invented term for disappointed? If you're one of these people who uses this stupid stupid expression, please just....

STOP.....

NOW.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Never heard it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Could you use it in a sentence? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I'm neutrally surprised by your thread.

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Never heard of it but thanks all the same for making me aware of it and helping me to die inside just that little bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Sounds like politician speak to me. In fact I can just imagine Brian Lenihan coming out with something like that. Is he the originator of the term?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

How can one be negatively surprised, its a total non-sequitor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I'm positively shocked by this development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

hmm, let's say it's your birthday and you are meant to meet your wife at your favourite restaurant after you finish work, the plan being that you rush home and get changed beforehand. But unknown to you, she arranges a surprise birthday party for you when you arrive home.

So you leave work 30 mins early, pick up your mistress and take her home thinking you have time for a quickie before heading to the restaurant. You are tearing off each others clothes and fall in the door as everyone shouts "surprise".

I would call that being "negatively surprised"

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

jester77 wrote: »
    hmm, let's say it's your birthday and you are meant to meet your wife at your favourite restaurant after you finish work, the plan being that you rush home and get changed beforehand. But unknown to you, she arranges a surprise birthday party for you when you arrive home.

So you leave work 30 mins early, pick up your mistress and take her home thinking you have time for a quickie before heading to the restaurant. You are tearing off each others clothes and fall in the door as everyone shouts "surprise".

I would call that being "negatively surprised"
    It's hardly a surprise to get a negative reaction if you bring your mistress home to your wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Vanderbilt

Could you use it in a sentence? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Well OP, I guess surprise isn't always positive, even if it's mostly used that way.

Like the way 'luck' can be good or bad and 'fortuitous' can also be negative as well as positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Sounds like politician speak to me. In fact I can just imagine Brian Lenihan coming out with something like that. Is he the originator of the term?

Na, somebody over in motors used it to describe how they felt on seeing the interior of some car.
    I've no idea where it came from but I suspect something like "America's got Talent" or America's next top model" or some such crap.

Well OP, I guess surprise isn't always positive, even if it's mostly used that way.

Like the way 'luck' can be good or bad and 'fortuitous' can also be negative as well as positive.

I think we may have found a user!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

My brain hurts! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

I've seen the term used to describe stock market earnings for listed companies (negative surprise if they don't meet earnings estimates, positive surprise if they exceeded earnings estimates).

IMHO this kind of bull**** phrase is most definitely suited to an industry mostly made up of blood suckers and leeches who try to spin every bit of bad news in to something "good" or "less bad".

Going forward I'll try to use the phrase 'negatively surprised' in a more positive way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Never heard it but will use it, cheers op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Don't see the problem here, it's a perfectly cromulent expression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

why would anyone add positive or negative in front of a word like that, the other person should be able to discern whether you mean it was good or bad, a bit of ambiguity wouldn't hurt. seriously who... who did this!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Cool, a thread referring to a post I made a couple of weeks ago, this has embiggened my day no end.

• Advertisement

^^^ are you a trainee politician? First rule of politics, never use just one word if you can use two (or even three) instead.

Advertisement