Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blueface geographic numbers and area codes

• 15-11-2011 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

I've setup a Dublin geographic number with Blueface.
    When I ring it from my landline, it only works if I include the 01 area code beforehand, otherwise I get an invalid number recording.
    This seems to render it unusable for business - obviously, most people calling from a landline aren't going to include the area code, and getting an out of service message isn't going to inspire confidence. Or am I missing something?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

R
    MOH wrote: »
    I've setup a Dublin geographic number with Blueface.
    When I ring it from my landline, it only works if I include the 01 area code beforehand, otherwise I get an invalid number recording.
    This seems to render it unusable for business - obviously, most people calling from a landline aren't going to include the area code, and getting an out of service message isn't going to inspire confidence. Or am I missing something?

Hi there,

Sounds like eircom haven't updated their routing tables for phone numbers in your exchange. You will notice that if you ring from another exchange in (01) Dublin you should get through to your SIP device or forwarded number. Just in case, include the prefix (01) if you are forwarding to a landline.

I suggest you phone Blueface in the morning and let them sort this out for you with eircom. You can't have missed anything on your setup guide, if you get through by dialling 01 xxx xxxx ..

With dial plans, if you want a dial plan so dialled numbers locally without the county prefix, it is automatically setup in your account. This has nothing to do with your issue however.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Hey, thanks for that.

Yeah, I'm gathering it's an exchange issue, that Smart Telecom (in my case) have something wrong in their setup.

My worry would be, if I'm using this for business, that while I can get my own exchange fixed, I've no way of knowing whether potential customers have the same issue with their exchanges - so if they dial my geographic number from within Dublin, and don't include the 01, they just get an 'out of service' message.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

MOH wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for that.

Yeah, I'm gathering it's an exchange issue, that Smart Telecom (in my case) have something wrong in their setup.

My worry would be, if I'm using this for business, that while I can get my own exchange fixed, I've no way of knowing whether potential customers have the same issue with their exchanges - so if they dial my geographic number from within Dublin, and don't include the 01, they just get an 'out of service' message.

I have a feeling that this is directly related to eircom's exchange and nothing to do with smart telecom at all.
    Ring blueface in the morning and ask them to sort it with all of eircoms dublin exchanges. Remember that this could happen with UPC or even magnet too.

There shouldn't be any problems once eircom fix their issue. Irish telcos will terminate eventually down to eircom wholesale regardless of the provider, it has to go through their exchange (enum databases aside).

Hope this helps!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

I have an experience. Not a feeling. It's potentially your phone prefixing, and I stress potentially. Use a mobile what result do you get with and without prefix?

Advertisement