Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Special Class Teacher

• 15-11-2011 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to find a job after qualifying in August.

There are a few jobs on educationposts.ie but I'm a little confused as to some of the wording.

For example: There is a job in a Special School and the vacancy is for a 'Special Class Teacher'.

What I wanted to know was:
    1. Does that mean main teacher or a helper to the teacher
    2. Is there a different type of training needed for that job?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm going mad here with nothing to do!!

Regards,
    A

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

A special class teacher is a qualified primary teacher. Usually you need to be probated. They may also look for experience with special needs.A few courses are always helpful, but to get onto some of the special ed courses you need to be in special ed already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Kathnora

Best advice I can give you is to join the message board on educationposts.ie as there you will get advice from primary teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Thanks!

I didn't know that there was a message board on there.

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

forum.educationposts.ie
    I would imagine it is class teacher for special class not SNA or assistant.

You can teach in special school with your B.Ed but obviously those with additional training would be preferred candidates.
    Definitely worth applying if it's something you'd be interested in but, be under no illusion, it would be a very tough and draining job if your heart's not in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

I had an autistic boy (quite sevre) in my final TP and he was a joy to have in the class. I found that he responded really well to my methods and structures I had planned specifically for him.. I'm mad interested to learn more about it and would put my heart and soul into the job.

My main worry was that it would be just a 'helper' job but now I'm thinking it's the 'main teacher' job.

Thanks for everyone's advice... the job hunting goes on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

Go for it.
    You can also do courses in your spare time that would help you.
    definitely mention previous exp with SEN children in your application.
    Hope it goes well for you.
    Let us know!

Advertisement