Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No mention of this in our media? seriously?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Well, if it's in the Daily Mail, it must be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Something they can't pin to the previous government.

Well done Fine Gael voters, the change is here. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

i'd love to know how they picked it up but none ofour own media are cvering it?

found it on sunday and expected all the usual suspects to be on Pat kenny the following morning going on about it..not a peep there or in the papers..

we all know the Indo is FG's mouthpiece so i didnt expect anything from them but there was not a mention anywhere

have the government spiked the story or was it lost under the inaugration coverage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

If you want to know what's going on in Ireland read the UK version of the Daily Mail

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

its only a 2% increase lads, nothing to see here...

its only a 2% increase lads, nothing to see here...

We can't even get the banks to pass on and give a 0.5% decrease (around 80/90 Euro a month) yet they get another 2%...

Work it out, it all adds up! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

Something they can't pin to the previous government.

Well done Fine Gael voters, the change is here. :rolleyes:

The vast majority of the €14m related to payments and pensions for TDs, senators, and other staff who had lost their jobs after the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Put politicians on minimum wages and see how fast things will change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

i'll never understand why this doesn't happen, even for a year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If they got paid by results, they wouldn't even get that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Link the politicians pay to a combination of GDP growth, unemployment rate, budget surplus / deficit and health and education quality. You'd soon see them doing the right thing. However turkeys don't vote for Christmas so don't hold your breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If they got paid by results, they wouldn't even get that.

I think the entire Public service should be put on Pay by result salary, watch it improve tenfold overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Biggins wrote: »
    We can't even get the banks to pass on and give a 0.5% decrease (around 80/90 Euro a month) yet they get another 2%...

Work it out, it all adds up! :(

while costs should be decreasing, its an increase in the cost of running the entire Houses of the Oireacthas ...the Mail headline portrays it as a pay rise which is their usual sensationalist approach

the current Government extended sitting days and brought in new committee operations etc, which will cost more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

At this point this just makes me sad so sad

saa wrote: »
    At this point this just makes me sad so sad

Is it that you're alone on page 2? I'll keep you company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Sunday papers did have the story, now it's on boards everyone will know about it and something can be done about it.
    I did see a link to the story on boards on sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Galtee wrote: »

All us Kool Kidz are on 40 posts per page now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Next time we'll go for insurrection instead of election, to send the "I Can't Believe It's Not Fianna Fail Party" down the crapper with its predecessor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

david75 wrote: »
    i'll never understand why this doesn't happen, even for a year...
    Corruption is why - if you think it was bad before, imagine how much open to bribery it would be with politicians in high-powered sensitive positions, paid very little money.

There's a very good reason why bankrupt TDs are excluded from the Dail.

In essence, what we do is try and bribe politicians to remain above corruption by giving them generous pay/pensions - not perfect but not a lot of alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Relax lads tis all lies ! Micheal Noonan has allready contacted the governments Barristers. They will be taking action against the DM:D

All us Kool Kidz are on 40 posts per page now.

But my mam said I was kool. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Thank you you're warm and smell like cheese. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

But my mam said I was kool. :(

Mammies lie to the uncool kids, to make them feel special :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

If all politicians were paid the minimum wage, it might encourage people to do the job because they want it, not because of the perks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Corruption is why - if you think it was bad before, imagine how much open to bribery it would be with politicians in high-powered sensitive positions, paid very little money.

In essence, what we do is try and bribe politicians to remain above corruption by giving them generous pay/pensions - not perfect but not a lot of alternatives.

I don't really buy that argument. I've heard it trotted out before, too, when people were talking about pay-cuts for the police and legal people.

If everyone who works in a position where they are at 'risk' of being corrupted had to be paid enough so that they were not tempted we'd be paying massive bumper-pack wages to:

police
    customs
    airport security
    county councilors
    Traffic wardens
    Litter wardens
    Invigilators
    Exam markers

etc

I would much prefer politicians wages linked to the average industrial wage (say, 3 x sum total) and harsh prison sentencing for corruption.

Riskymove wrote: »
    while costs should be decreasing, its an increase in the cost of running the entire Houses of the Oireacthas ...the Mail headline portrays it as a pay rise which is their usual sensationalist approach

the current Government extended sitting days and brought in new committee operations etc, which will cost more

Yes, while costs should be decreasing... they are not - but increasing by another massive 14 million! Wow!
    (by the way, the paper states "Much of the €3m increase is to cover higher salaries and expenses for TDs and senators")

I've been in the Dail a good number of times.
    More days of the Dail being open does not mean greater staff needed.
    They are there most of the time anyway working away all year round, working in their offices carrying out their TD's desires. The ones that are actually rarely there is a the actual TD's.
    Example: They even had the clock in/out system adjusted so much that they don't even need to clock back out!
    They can clock in for one minute and quietly leave again - but claim that days full attendance expenses!
    They even re-wrote the rules so that a fellow TD can clock in for them! Honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Quit posting links people on mobiles can't read...anyway rabble, rabble, rabble...am I right?

• Advertisement

Cheers for that. If what they say is accurate, thats fair enough.
    A good point however was raised as to the use of office equipment though.
    Whats the leaving TD's doing every year? Walking off with the stuff?

Advertisement