Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRNV scopes..... Overused Much !!

Options
  • 15-11-2011 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

So anybody else think that there is a serious amount of overuse of IRNV scopes ? I'm all for their use, but only when they should be used i.e. at night.... I mean its in the name !! It seems to me that using them every time you play boarders on cheating, and if not cheating its a sly tactic. I have them unlocked myself but I refuse to use them on daytime maps out of principle.... i.e. when I get killed with a gun with a IRNV scope on maps in the open light It makes me rage, so I don't want to do the same to anyone else.

Until they are nerfed, or at least changed so that using them in daytime will result in flaring of vision.... Look at any night vision shots during the day, everything is bright and undistinguishable !

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Rock Scissors Paper

Everything in the game has an opposite and more powerful equivalent.

Theres a thermal camo you unlock that makes the IRNV useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I agree with you to a certain degree. However I do like to use an IR scope to find snipers in buildings in Seine Crossing and other similar maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lahcen86

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Rock Scissors Paper

Everything in the game has an opposite and more powerful equivalent.

Theres a thermal camo you unlock that makes the IRNV useless.

Wait hold the phone.... :P For infantry ?????

Did not know this. When do you unlock it ? is it a perk you get from reaching a certain rank ?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

lahcen86 wrote: »
    Wait hold the phone.... :P For infantry ?????

Did not know this. When do you unlock it ? is it a perk you get from reaching a certain rank ?
    I was wondering this the other day too, some lads are alot harder to see when I'm kill-whoring with a silenced M249 and IR scope, sometimes I almost feel bad :P

Level 42 gets you it.

• Advertisement

Level 42 gets you it.

Ah here.... I wont be using that so for a good while...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Whoring the inv scope for awhile now, went back to new weapons today and finding it very difficult to re-adjust to normal scopes. If it was up to me i'd remove it completely from the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Here is the visual comparison with/without thermal camo
    http://imgur.com/a/VbH10

Tbh I havent found the spec ops camo really helps the opposition much, they still stick out like a xmas tree. Ive yet to unlock it myself.

I have to agree with OP, it is overused too much and I include myself in this because when Im "levelling" a new weapon, unlocking thermal optics is like "Well my k/d is going to double now". It is the only scope I use on all guns except for bolt action rifles.

In another thread someone suggested a good nerf would be to make it a x4 scope so it would be fairly difficult to use in close quarters and think thats a brilliant idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Krieg wrote: »
    Here is the visual comparison with/without thermal camo
    http://imgur.com/a/VbH10

Tbh I havent found the spec ops camo really helps the opposition much, they still stick out like a xmas tree. Ive yet to unlock it myself.

I have to agree with OP, it is overused too much and I include myself in this because when Im "levelling" a new weapon, unlocking thermal optics is like "Well my k/d is going to double now". It is the only scope I use on all guns except for bolt action rifles.

In another thread someone suggested a good nerf would be to make it a x4 scope so it would be fairly difficult to use in close quarters and think thats a brilliant idea.

RU got the short end of that stick I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I dont have an issue with IRNV.

I've unlocked it with every weapon I have used so far but I still prefer and play better using the holographic as it is much quicker then the IRNV which means in battles where 2 players spot each other the holographic is more likely to win.

Also the IRNV has a strange acog level of zoom which makes it near useless if the other player gets the jump on you in close to mid range (again the fast response of the holographic is much better in this situation.) though most people might opt for spray and pray in this scenario regardless.

I could understand using it in rush if you are playing support and defending where you can have overwatch on key passages, but on conquest especially on maps like Kharg, firestorm and Caspian where its very easy to flank I would still opt for the holographic, even at long range combat I still find it useful. The IRNV like the Acog just leaves you open to being flanked or knifed far too much.

For the player on the offensive and constantly on the move the holo is the sight of choice, you can quickly scan key spots and move on at speed as you go objective to objective.

its funny how a lot of people refuse the IRNV because its unsporting or some other reason and for me I simply dont like it as a sight.

Finally its more suspect to screwing up, its visuals get messed up when you encounter flashlights or get suppressed meaning its usefullness under pressure is not much help.

If you want to talk useless, I havnt worked out what makes the red dot unique from the Holo that would have people choose it over the holo sights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    If you want to talk useless, I havnt worked out what makes the red dot unique from the Holo that would have people choose it over the holo sights.
    I find the holo sight on some guns to be a red smudge. On some weapons, it blocks out the enemies head! The red dot is a small red dot on all guns that doesn't get in the way.

RDS and Holos are different, BF3 is made for Holos. Would put one on my RPG if i could :D

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

RDS and Holos are different, BF3 is made for Holos. Would put one on my RPG if i could :D

OHHH RPG with Holo would be great , tbh i use the IRNV scopes as it great for spotting snipers so my team snipers can kill em the Holo i love and use allot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    The holo takes up more of the screen I find (as in the frame of the scope), prefer the red dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I love the IRNV on Scar-H, addicted to it, so good for catching the little b*stards hiding behind rubble piles etc pick them out easily, its a victimless crime :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

its a victimless crime :pac:

Apart from the victim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭RedRebel

IRNV is the equivalent to 'Waterfall beats all'. There is no real draw back.

The thermal camo for infantry doesn't have that much effect. Now only parts of your body glow neon 'Shoot me signs'.

Needs to have it FOV reduced or some other draw back. Otherwise everyone will be running around with IRNV scopes constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Dice have already said the IRNV scopes are up first for a serious nerfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭RedRebel

I love the IRNV on Scar-H, addicted to it, so good for catching the little b*stards hiding behind rubble piles etc pick them out easily, its a victimless crime :pac:

Me too, best class, best gun, best sight. What's not to love!?

RedRebel wrote: »
    Me too, best class, best gun, best sight. What's not to love!?

Both the Scar and the IRNV are getting nerfed.

Personally I can tolerate both, does still require a modicum of skill.

Rockets against infantry however - stupid level of easy mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

IRNV is the C4 in the "rock paper scissors game", as it'll f**k them all up :P

So looks like they implemented the IRNV nerf wit the PS3 patch ! Essentially useless now, fine by me :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MGlZLHonrY

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

lahcen86 wrote: »
    So looks like they implemented the IRNV nerf wit the PS3 patch ! Essentially useless now, fine by me :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MGlZLHonrY

They didn't just nerf it, they literally took a sledge and pummelled it into the ground. Typical DICE overreaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

needed to be done, but what exactly does it do now? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭klose

That nerf on the ps3 is ridiculous, they might aswell have just got rid of it.

I think adding heat signatures from fire, lights etc and toning down the distance it would see to would have been enough.

So if everyone complains about everything in it will they make everything ****e? :pac:

Be kinda pissed if they do that on xbox now..

Advertisement