Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stainless mod

Options
  • 15-11-2011 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get a stainless mod to match the barrel on my hmr.

Ive recently seen SAK mods in stainless but didnt see and in any shops around here.
    Are sak the best to go for or are there any other good mods to look for in stainless?

Also what length barrel would you go for since the mod will add a good bit to the overall length

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

garv123 wrote: »
    Im looking to get a stainless mod to match the barrel on my hmr.

Ive recently seen SAK mods in stainless but didnt see and in any shops around here.
    Are sak the best to go for or are there any other good mods to look for in stainless?

Also what length barrel would you go for since the mod will add a good bit to the overall length

The SAK mods are not stainless steel just pain unpainted aluminium.

It'll look good on a 16" stainless barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

clivej wrote: »
    The SAK mods are not stainless steel just pain unpainted aluminium.

It'll look good on a 16" stainless barrel

Ah wel that will also do:)
    how much gone off it before it starts to effect accuracy? Its a 22" heavy stainless barrel on it.
    its a 1:9 twist too. not that means much to me

how much gone off it before it starts to effect accuracy? Its a 22" heavy stainless barrel on it.

I've no idea but others will be able to tell ya ASAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

A mod is 4" that makes your rifle 26"
    Thats not too long.

Not familiar with Hmr barrel chops, but I reckon 1-2" will not drastically affect accuracy once you get a Gunsmith to recrown it afterwards.

personally would leave the barrel that length as it is still quite short.
    A standard Rifle barrel is 24 for a Hunting centrefire, I shot a 26" with a 4" mod for years, but that was long.
    Your OAL is only 26" with a tidy Mod on

I like the idea of having it shorter since the barrel is so top heavy. the mod will make that even more top heavy.

How much should i expect to pay for getting it chopped and threaded. Presume it will be re-crowned when i get it chopped?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I like the idea of having it shorter since the barrel is so top heavy. the mod will make that even more top heavy.

How much should i expect to pay for getting it chopped and threaded. Presume it will be re-crowned when i get it chopped?

around 100 quid, as yes if it is chopped it will need a crown.

Give Fergal a call, I'm sure he could sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

Had a CZ Varmint in 17 hmr previosly, barrel on them is 20 and 3/4" and they are serious accurate rifle. Sak mod on it as well, which is very very light, so I wouldn't worry about weight on the front too much. I think you could safely cut down to 20-20" and with the sak mod on it will be perfect ballance to handle it and to look at it as well:D. Have a look at this pick:
    5asgimtadienis009.jpg
    PS You can't beat SAk mod for the price of it. Thats for sure.

I was thinking about 20 myself to keep within that thing thats meant to be the law.

What was in the picture that it had to be scribbled out in ms paint?:p

lovely looking gun.

I was thinking about 20 myself to keep within that thing thats meant to be the law.

What was in the picture that it had to be scribbled out in ms paint?:p

lovely looking gun.
    Some sort off bright white circle from the camera flash I'd say.
    it is lovely gun, my brother in law owns it now, so I still get to fire it from time to time. If I was to get rimfire again would be defenately cz varmint, maybe 455 Thumbhole;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

• Advertisement

zlezlius wrote: »
    Some sort off bright white circle from the camera flash I'd say.
    it is lovely gun, my brother in law owns it now, so I still get to fire it from time to time. If I was to get rimfire again would be defenately cz varmint, maybe 455 Thumbhole;)

The thumbhole stocks are lovely. Savage make the same one as cz in left hand and with a stainless barrel. Would love it. lefthooker on here has it in .22

What ammo did you use?

ormondprop wrote: »

interesting bit of info there. Find any that shows group tests?:D

The thumbhole stocks are lovely. Savage make the same one as cz in left hand and with a stainless barrel. Would love it. lefthooker on here has it in .22

What ammo did you use?
    17 gr Hornady VMax or Federal-didn't see much difference in grouping.
    The green circle is 1.5 inch radius at 100 yards
    image0049.jpg

interesting bit of info there. Find any that shows group tests?:D

from the data i'd imagine the best accuracy would be at 18" as you still have similar speed as 22" but the speed is a lot more consistant so groups should be more consistant but legally you can only go as short as 19.7", if you do decide to chop it back make sure you get a good riflesmith to do it, not some guy with a lathe as the barrel will have to be checked how straight it is before you cut it back to make sure you dont have a slight bend in the middle of it which can cause you grief if you have a scope that hasnt much internal adjustment and also you'll want your barrel dialled in perfectly on the lathe for recrowning it as a bad crown will have your rifle grouping like a shotgun

nice grouping. local lad only has federal at the moment so i might just try them so. was a bit weary at first since everyone always goes on about the hornady. I have about 10 cci tnt bullets too that I'll have to try and do a damage test to compare with the v-max

nice grouping. local lad only has federal at the moment so i might just try them so. was a bit weary at first since everyone always goes on about the hornady. I have about 10 cci tnt bullets too that I'll have to try and do a damage test to compare with the v-max
    Have a look at his website, there is a lot of comparissons between different ammo brands and weights:
    http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

pretty sure ive read every work on his site over and over. great info on it.

Any one any ideas of anyone around who sells the silver SAK mod?
    found a RFD in the uk but they will only sell to a RFD here which will jump up the price for me

if you can't find one i have one on my .22 and would prefer a black one so i could swap with you some stage down the line if you wanted

ormondprop wrote: »
    if you can't find one i have one on my .22 and would prefer a black one so i could swap with you some stage down the line if you wanted

Il keep that in mind. Any chance you could upload a pic? havent seen them on a rifle yet.

heres an old pic i have, i can take a proper 1 2moro if you want
    Guns.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

The SAK is a great mod and works perfectly on my .22LR
    But if you fancy something a bit different LEI make a stainless steel mod. Available in blued or stainless its shorter and slimmer and can be got in either .17 or .22 and according to the experts does a better job than the SAK. When i bought my Sako i bought an LEI too. The barrel in the Sako is even heavier than the Savage but the mod matches the barrel perfectly.
    URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/39/img01091.jpg/]img01091.jpg[/URL]
    img01111.jpg

I'd like to get maybe 3-4" chopped off my Savage, 21" barrel isn't really needed on a .22 Wouldn't touch the .17 tho more often than not its fired off some form of support so I don't find weight or balance an issue

lefthooker wrote: »
    The SAK is a great mod and works perfectly on my .22LR
    But if you fancy something a bit different LEI make a stainless steel mod. Available in blued or stainless its shorter and slimmer and can be got in either .17 or .22 and according to the experts does a better job than the SAK. When i bought my Sako i bought an LEI too. The barrel in the Sako is even heavier than the Savage but the mod matches the barrel perfectly.
    URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/39/img01091.jpg/]
    http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/4590/img01091.jpg[/URL]
    http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3387/img01111.jpg

I'd like to get maybe 3-4" chopped off my Savage, 21" barrel isn't really needed on a .22 Wouldn't touch the .17 tho more often than not its fired off some form of support so I don't find weight or balance an issue

I heard they were good alright. but they were also three times the price of the SAK, how much did you pay for yours. in reviews the sak got 3.5 out of 5 and the lei got 5 out of 5

I heard they were good alright. but they were also three times the price of the SAK, how much did you pay for yours. in reviews the sak got 3.5 out of 5 and the lei got 5 out of 5

I saw that article on the mods, both LEI's on top of the list. Paid 120 euro, from Patrick Carley

I saw that article on the mods, both LEI's on top of the list. Paid 120 euro, from Patrick Carley

€120 wouldnt be too bad. they were £150 on the site.

Its a inch shorter than the sak too.

No not a bad price. I find thats a recurring theme with Paddy;)
    I think the reason why the LEI rated better than the SAK in that test is because the LEI used was .17 calibre specific while the SAK only comes in .22 calibre( i stand to be corrected). That tighter chamber must make a big difference in trapping gases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

No not a bad price. I find thats a recurring theme with Paddy;)
    I think the reason why the LEI rated better than the SAK in that test is because the LEI used was .17 calibre specific while the SAK only comes in .22 calibre( i stand to be corrected). That tighter chamber must make a big difference in trapping gases.

I have a sak on my .17hmr, so they are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

My tikka is down with Fergal getting shortened to 20 inches, threaded and recrowned. The shortening threading and recrowning is working out at €155 but it's money we'll spent considering I know Fergal will do it right.
    I'm getting an a-tec cmm4 fitted, which is costing €340.

Odysseus wrote: »
    I have a sak on my .17hmr, so they are available.

Ya but is it .17 cal only?
    The point I was trying to make is I can use a SAK on my HMR too, as do most other guys but it can also be used on our .22LR's. The LEI is .17 cal only so a .22 bullet would completely f**k up the internals.
    (LEI also make a .22 mod too as far as I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Ya but is it .17 cal only?
    The point I was trying to make is I can use a SAK on my HMR too, as do most other guys but it can also be used on our .22LR's. The LEI is .17 cal only so a .22 bullet would completely f**k up the internals.
    (LEI also make a .22 mod too as far as I know)

Apologies I took you up wrong, I'll have to check when I get home. I thought it was maybe I was wrong.

• Advertisement

img01091.jpg

What diameter and length is that mod, please???

Advertisement