Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out selling chocolate lollipops

Options
  • 15-11-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm starting up a business in Transition Year and I need a bit of help. It's a food business, and I hope to sell chocolate lollipops to a local market. I don't really know where to start..What do I need to do?

I'm making them in my own kitchen, only melting a bit of chocolate, that's all.
    Do I have to register,and do I need special permission from anyone? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

You need to get permission from your local environmental health officer to make any food that you plan to sell to the public. Ring your local HSE office and ask for the environmental health section.

Each officer seems to interpret the same set of rules differently so only they can tell you exactly what they require you to have.

Most markets will ask to see your HSE certificate before letting you set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

The hse will look for certain standards. If there is a professional kitchen in your school it might be best to make the lollipops in school. There would be more chance of the hse approving a commercial school kitchen than a kitchen at home.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks very much guys. There are no kitchens in our school, but my kitchen is very clean when making them so hopefully I'll be alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Your kitchen being very clean is not a positive, its a basic assumption of the EHO.

They will likely require stainless steel etc, prepping food on a wooden worktop and giving it a wipe with a household isnt sufficent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Hammertime wrote: »
    Your kitchen being very clean is not a positive, its a basic assumption of the EHO.

They will likely require stainless steel etc, prepping food on a wooden worktop and giving it a wipe with a household isnt sufficent

The stainless steel thing isn't true if the OP is working out of a domestic kitchen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement