Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worries about memory being overclocked along with my CPU

Options
  • 15-11-2011 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am overclocking my Q8400 from 2.66ghz to 3.3 by raising the frequency from 333mhz to 420mhz. I am using the ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo. Will I damage my memory by doing this? It has raised the DRAM frequency up from 800mhz to 841mhz. I know very little about memory, so here is a pic of my CPU-Z info. I have 2 X 2GIG Crucial CL6 DDR2 ram in Dual Channel mode.
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/kieranjol/mem.jpg

Voltage for the memory seems to be 1.8 V. Should I raise the timings to ease stress on the memory? Everything is stable with Prime 95 tests and about 6 hours straight of Skyrim. I just don't want to be making some stupid beginner mistake. I understand that overclocking can reduce the lifespan of components so I want to do the most I can to prevent this.

Also, the motherboard was handling the voltage automatically, but it was raising it higher than the limit of 1.3625V for this chip. I have the max voltage set at 1.32 now. It is not generating much heat at load. Should I try to get the voltage lower while remaining stable, or should I just leave it as it is? I haven't had any BSOD or post failures so far.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

That's not really a huge overclock, you should be ok as long as it's getting enough voltage. I'd avoid that Asus software crap, overclocking is best and safest done manually, where you know exactly what voltage you're pushing, no guesswork. You'll need to have a Google, there's lots to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Toff

Cheers. I use the bios, not the ASUS software, but I used to have the CPU VCORE set to Auto there. It set the voltage way too high though.

Advertisement