Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going grey @ 27

• 15-11-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

So I was at the hairdressers a few months back and she said I had a few grey hairs at the back of my head. I thought, jeez I am bit young for that!! But didn't think much of it cause I thought, sure it will be years before I notice any difference really. Then I was blow drying my hair today and saw a nest of grey hair at the front under some hair and the same on the other side, so much so when I swept my hair up into a pony I could clearly see them. I was pure shocked. My dad went grey very early in life as did my brother, before they were 30, but I didn't think this could be something passed down to daughters. I know I could just colour my hair, it is usually pink or electric red or some other mad colour anyway. But it was just a real shock to the system.

Any other women out their experience this? How did you feel about this!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I am 20 and have noticed a few grey hairs, it doesn't bother me though.

My mother started going grey when she was around 18 and my dad went grey, then bald. I wouldn't mind going grey, but would hate to go bald :eek::o

I'd rather go grey as you can colour your hair, if you go bald, it's a different story. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I started noticing them at the beginning of the year too, and I've just turned 27! Apparently got a good innings as my mam went grey much earlier. I was hoping it was just very light brown but according to hairdresser, he found one or two last time I got a haircut. It's weird when you find them alright, but sure now I see it as an excuse to dye it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I've had grey hairs for ages and I'm only 22! I guess it's more noticeable 'cause I have really dark hair. My dad went completely grey in his early 20's though so I suppose it's in the genes.

Tbh, I don't particularly care. I dye my hair anyway and I mean, it's not something to be embarrassed about! It happens to loads of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Maighread

It's easier to hide grey hair than crow's feet too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭binxeo

Yeh I can just die it but I am worried it isn't genetic and that I am that stressed I am going grey. That worries me a bit. Luckily I haven't gotten any crows feet or wrinkles. Well I think I do have wrinkles but I prefer to call them laughter lines. :pac:

Suppose I will just go to the hairdressers and get the pink put back in YAY!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

i've had a good bit of grey hair since i was in my late teens... mainly on the sides back then but it has gotten progressively worse over the years. im 26 now and have to colour my hair a fair bit to cover them. it's a pain in the ass would love to be one of those people that freaks out when they find their first single grey hair age 30 but it wasn't to be :)

i have dark hair so it's hard to keep them covered i think a few highlights and going a lighter shade of brown can help make them a little bit less obvious.

i live in hope of the day they find a cure for the old greys :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Don't look on it as going grey, look on it as getting more distinguished looking:) sorry just saw the op is female . Anyway these days I don't think it's anything to worry about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I would've thought 27 was a pretty average age to start getting grey hairs. I'm 27 and I've had greys for the last 8 years. I don't dye them as I still pass for 17 anyway, if the amount of times I get asked for ID is anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

I'm 27 too and noticed my first greys last year. I was a bit horrified at first but there aren't many so I've just stuck with plucking/dyeing. Mine are only ever at my right temple...I'm growing very tempted to let them grow and have myself a badger stripe, Daphne Guiness style. One day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

totally normal op, we get women younger than that in the salon with over 50% grey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭binxeo

totally normal op, we get women younger than that in the salon with over 50% grey!

Well thats a relief, lol

Going back to pink soon hopefully...then the grey won't be seen. I like this
    colour...

182383.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I have been going grey since my late teens. I have black hair so I have had to keep my hair dyed to cover it up. My hair grows fast and every three weeks I would have to put dye in to cover it up. Last month I went blonde and its such a change!! When I look in the mirror I can see the grey hair but they have blended in with the blonde hair. Its terrible being so young and having to deal with this problem, but if you keep your hair a light colour it won't be so bad.
    Also be careful when using really bright colours with grey hair as they will go a completly different shade then the rest of your hair and fade alot quicker. I learned the very hard way with a lot of red hair diasters and costly trips to the hair dressers:(

Advertisement