Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loose meal transport/storage solution

• 15-11-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

HI lads

I'm looking to set myself up with a cheap and handy way to store loose ration and also be able to go collect it from the local merchants. I'm talking about something for 0.5-1 tonne max, so small scale!

I've seen lads using builders trailers, IBC's, JFC and titan meal bins, 1/2 tonne sacks, wheelie skips....

So what are you using? Does it work? What would/could you improve about it?

Thanks in advance for all replies

Muckit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We're using the ton sacks.. it's handy moved with the loader and easy to get the meal out as it folds down as it empties... Have sacks with the tie straps at the top so it's 99% vermin proof (1% was when i put hand into bag last winter and found a mouse, big girly screams :eek:)

I see lads with barrels and IBC's but it must be a pain getting the last of the meal out....

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭jd06

hi lads, i use 2 old and large freezers, they really do the job, vermin proof and keeps the mealfresh and all where it should be! its prob too small for ur job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Anyone know hwere a lad would get an IBC silo like this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSh5UFcvnF6tZrWknuZSXygYPbE3e0sFwdeHWsETB8W3jNe0GUyZ_Kw9w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/otherfarming/2653119

They're all sold out, but maybe give hime a ring. He might know where to get them. Hole on the bottom seems very small for meal.
    I've seen a device before, like a slide valve that you can put the bottom of large fertiliser bags. Maybe something like that would work on an IBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

we use a small single axle trailer it has slightly higher sides than a builders trailer and at the same level alround, once filled with loose meal and back from the mill we slide a sheet of ply over it, so its vermin proof at that.
    the trailer is only 6x4ft and holds just over 1/2 a tonne filled level
    then just slide the ply back and take out as much as you need, think you could pick up one anywhere second hand for very little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

these look handy but not cheapstandardtote.jpg

Two winters ago, when silage was dear but meal cheap, I bought a basic ration in half tonne bags. I have an old timber cattle box with a side swinging door. At the mill they loaded the bag on a pallet and into the back. At home I unloaded it with old forklift frame I made up for the back of the tractor. I dropped the bag in an open shed. I never had a problem with rats / mice either. Very simple and handy. It didn't cost me anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

49801 wrote: »
    these look handy but not cheapstandardtote.jpg
    Wouldnt it be handy enough to make up a similar silo out of angle iron and and sheets of aluminium ? You could put two holders under it for pallet forks that could lift it on and off a trailer for getting it refilled . Is it much cheaper to pick up your own meal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Muckit wrote: »
    HI lads

I'm looking to set myself up with a cheap and handy way to store loose ration and also be able to go collect it from the local merchants. I'm talking about something for 0.5-1 tonne max, so small scale!

I've seen lads using builders trailers, IBC's, JFC and titan meal bins, 1/2 tonne sacks, wheelie skips....

So what are you using? Does it work? What would/could you improve about it?

Thanks in advance for all replies

Muckit

i've seen everything and any thing been used to transport meal from old milk tanks to the jfc tubs Afc the jfc tubs hold a half tonne and are very useful .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I was thinking of investing in a small meal bin, and having my winter supply blown in.
    But when I checked out the cost of two tons of meal delivered by Roches Limerick, in bags on a pallet, versus blown in, it just made no sense. Only saving €12 to for the blown in stuff.
    So I invested €200 for 15 brand new steel, 40 gallon drums, with clip on / off covers.
    I got 2 tons bagged delivered, and I simply poured the stuff into the barrels. and put on the covers. Bone dry, vermin proof, easy to get out the last bit in the arse of the barrell. Can throw a couple of them up on a pallet, and shift around the place with the bale handler.
    Great job in my opinion.

PS: 6 x 25kg bags fit in the barrell. 150kgs per barrell. 7 barrells will take one ton of meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

Anyone know hwere a lad would get an IBC silo like this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSh5UFcvnF6tZrWknuZSXygYPbE3e0sFwdeHWsETB8W3jNe0GUyZ_Kw9w
    Jfc make a bin like that it holds 1.2 tonne and can be lifted on and off a frame with pallet forks its very handy but not cheap worth a look on their website though..

dasheriff wrote: »
    Jfc make a bin like that it holds 1.2 tonne and can be lifted on and off a frame with pallet forks its very handy but not cheap worth a look on their website though..

Good man, thanks.

Ya I was talking to a lad there already this week. He has two 'seconds' there (frames are painted, not galvanised). He still wants €500+VAT for them.

New they are €800+VAT!!!! Cheap they are not. No wonder John Concannon is a millionaire!

I'm thinking smaller now. Plastic barrels with lids or wheelie bins. Easy filled, easy moved and vermin proof ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

have you ever seen the ones in donedeal, they are large bags fitted inside metal frames that you could position inside a shed, they look a neat enough job, cant seem to see it now on donedeal

I'm thinking smaller now. Plastic barrels with lids or wheelie bins. Easy filled, easy moved and vermin proof ;)
    I bought a fine plastic barrel in Ennis mart, the last day I was there. I looked brand new. Ideal for meal. It had the full width lid on top. No bother get down into it to empty either. 12 or 15 euro, I think.

have you ever seen the ones in donedeal, they are large bags fitted inside metal frames that you could position inside a shed, they look a neat enough job, cant seem to see it now on donedeal

Ya I spotted them vander.

Problem with me is sometimes I THINK I'm a 'big operator' when in reality I'm not!! :D:D Me imagination does run away with me and what i THINK I need. (Note to self.... stop all the thinking!!)

Best solutions are the simplest. I don't have a loader or any kind of pallet forks u see. If I had I'd go for an IBC 'silo' type thing. Easy fill, transport and empty.

I can get wheelie bins cheap just out the road from me. Cheap, easy wheel on and off a trailer, easy move about the shed or yard and easy flip lid to seal. Pick it up to empty out the last. No tractor necessary.

Every lad best to suit his/her own situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I considered that one myself, but in the end, I still think the rats would get to the bag part and chew holes in it.
    So as another lad on here said, I consider myself to be a small time operator. €200 euros for enough steel barrels with clip on / off lids just made sense. I have them stored inside an old stone shed on pallets. Can back in and pick up the pallet and move two barrels of meal to the slatted shed when I need them.

PS: I put down a few lengths of wavin pipe with gound up storm blocks, around the barrels of meal in the shed. Gets eaten regularly. Those rats are well able to smell meal in steel barrels:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Tora Bora wrote: »
    I considered that one myself, but in the end, I still think the rats would get to the bag part and chew holes in it.
    So as another lad on here said, I consider myself to be a small time operator. €200 euros for enough steel barrels with clip on / off lids just made sense. I have them stored inside an old stone shed on pallets. Can back in and pick up the pallet and move two barrels of meal to the slatted shed when I need them.

PS: I put down a few lengths of wavin pipe with gound up storm blocks, around the barrels of meal in the shed. Gets eaten regularly. Those rats are well able to smell meal in steel barrels:(

true enough I suppose, ive just a small walled area that I get the meal blown into. ive often wondered would rats etc be in at it even though ive heaps of cats..last weekend I left the rat zapper down beside meal, so far every morning when I get up and every evening when i get home from work there has been a dead mouse in it, thankfully no rats. IM not too worried about mice whether i should be or not, interestingly there are still anxious to eat nutella in the zapper as opposed to room full of beef nuts. they are probably sick of the nuts :eek:

A lad I know that gets the meal loose in a tractor trailer with just the box on. He just parks it in the shed. I asked him how he manages mice? 'Sure how would they climb up?' was his reponse... and he was serious!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

is the saying , if you have mice you dont have rats" true?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

is the saying , if you have mice you dont have rats" true?

No, in my experience anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

http://www.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/machinery/2602394

Bought a few s/h wheelie bins.

They are working a treat and suiting my situation. Rear grab on tractor, so a JFC bale handler solution was not the answer.

They are easily wheeled on and off cow box with ramp. Couldn't believe what they hold.

I brought 400kg in 3 bins and that wasn't up to the top! Now it was bull nuts, a crunch type ration would be bulkier.

another advantage over a 1/2 tonne bin is you don't have to wait til all is gone to refill, just go with one or two, so constant supply

They also seem a handy job for moving around a few forkfuls of straw or hay without it blowing all over the place! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Bought a few s/h wheelie

you Will be busy with bins so if that lad in the shed gets going...........:-X

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭valtra8150

right i get it pumped in to a shed that ive set up at home i usually get it in 5 tonnes at a time truck blows it in. before i used to get it in bags for 5 tonne of bags i could get 8 or 9 tonnes of the blow in stuff for the same price but i have another farm 30 miles away and i only use nuts to keep the cattle quite there so i dont use too awful much so this is what i use instead 720a934fe89dce0269c9c9b3d9f4_grande.jpg i have a door made at the top of it which nothing can get in or out and i just open the door and take out the nuts that i need. just put it in the car trailer and off to the co op and fill up think it holds half toone or close. i baught that for some thing like 60 euro so it was cheap but what i plan to do is get another one i have an axel off a car trailer make a trailer to suite them and they would have there own trailer

http://www.francisward.com/product_nonhazard_ibc.htm

bit of a zombie thread but i'm thinking of one of the bin's half way or three quarter of the way down, has anyone seen one or know where to get one

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭valtra8150

id try done deal its a great place

valtra8150 wrote: »
    id try done deal its a great place

try'd it but there's none to be seen, they are all sold and was told they'd have more by the weekend, that was two weekends ago and they dont answer phones any more:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/trailers/2945707
    Get a trailer like this put a IBC on it make a chute for IBC and away you go IBC should hold 600kgs approx

• Advertisement
Advertisement