Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build + Eyefinity Info

Options
  • 15-11-2011 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭

Yay :D Finally get to have my own thread as have money in order and it's time to get a build together.

I'm mainly going to be using the machine for development and would like to have a multi-screen setup. Gaming is not a huge issue but I'm starting to think that Unreal 99 has run it's course and might be best to find a new FPS to play when I'm not working.

I'v been reading a little bit on eyefinity and it sounds great, but I'm not really sure what exactly I need as a lot of the articles are a few years old. I would ideally like to have a 3 screen setup but I don't really know what GPU I would need run it. Also what type of considerations I would need to take into account.

Luckily for me my girlfriend is getting me a 2500k for xmas, and I am picking up 2 of the Hitachi 500GB SATA HD's of adverts to get me going until HD prices come back around.

So without them, and taking future OCing as a possibility, and only one monitor at the moment (will add monitors later just need GPU for the moment) , what should I be looking at with a budget of about 500-600.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

Wait so your GPU budget is 500-600? Or do you need other things like motherboard, case, PSU etc?

As far as a standard 2D 3 screen setup goes, any (AMD) GPU with 2GB of RAM should do just fine. You can pick up a 2GB HD 6950 for about €230 (overkill for just 2D stuff). As for Eyefinity gaming... Well I'm not entirely sure but I think you'd probably need to go dual card (Crossfire) for that.

If you're happy gaming on just one screen and doing everything else on 3, then the card I suggested would do you just fine - and with your budget you could probably afford 2 more monitors too. If you intend to do 3 screen gaming then the GPU cost goes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Yeah, I actually need all the other parts too. Case,psu,mobo,ram,monitor

I think you are right their, multi-screen is mainly for productivity, I would happily game on just the one. Just looked at the benchmark of that card on AnandTech and it looks pretty good, the AMD site had a set up guide that explained the setup to me and would work just fine for what I want it for.

So I'l put the 6950 in their too, what should I be looking at for the other bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

OK so I got this together after browsing around a bit, still missing a monitor though. Since I would be using only on monitor for gaming I think the first monitor would need to be 22". Getting a bit up on the budget though so cheaper the better.

How would something like this go .?

Am I doing anything silly here .? Will all these bits go together OK..? Is their anything else I need besides thermal paste ..?

Total build cost: €640.28 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €185.73
    Club 3D Radeon 6950 2048MB, AMD Radeon HD 6950, PCI-Express €225.63
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 €36.70
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W €52.07
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower black, ohne Netzteil €48.36
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €91.79

Advertisement