Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 OS

Options
  • 15-11-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey guys, I need some feedback on where to get a cheap windows 7.

I know about www.software4students.ie but they are out of Windows 7 Home which I remeber cost like EUR45 few months ago. Right now only Windows 7 Pro Upgrade Edition are available.

Stupid question but can I install my OS using only the Windows 7 Pro Upgrade Edition? I'm self-building my pc so it doesn't have any OS in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

You can, there are guides on how to do it.

They don't do the home one I don't think, just pro and ultimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If you know someone in Microsoft, they can get you the full retail copy for €22. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Serephucus wrote: »
    If you know someone in Microsoft, they can get you the full retail copy for €22. :)

Yes, but they're limited to a few copies a year so you'd want to be a very good friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 akazzz

I doubt I got friends working for Microsoft, let alone being very good friends with them :P

Ok, so its possible to install the Windows 7 Pro Upgrade Edition into a clean system? Just need to double check before purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I bought upgrade edition thinking same, but it didn't work on clean install. To get around this I clean installed a home trial version, and then upgraded with pro using control panel. The pro version can then be used for clean installs once the upgrade has been activated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You can, yeah. I'm not sure of the specifics - I've never had to do it - but I think it involves installing twice or something.

Edit: Yeah, here ya go. This article goes through three different ways to do it.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Are you a student or do you know a uni student as some get it for free?

Just googled it, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/bb250591

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I think you usually only get it for free if you study a Computers course or select universities. If you're a student and really want to do it on the cheap, you can get windows 7 RC2 from dreamspark (signup can take a while) for free. This can be modified to behave like windows 7.

Advertisement