Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA Over the summer

Options
  • 15-11-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm hoping to do a bit of traveling over the summer, nothing glamorous but it'll take me away for a while. What I was wondering is do I have to sign back on the dole during the summer to be eligible to get the BTEA again in September?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

Yeah you'll have to sign back on for the summer. I've done that for the past two summers and all you have to do is sign off the day before you leave and when you get back just sign back on again. You're entitled to 2 weeks of payments for holidays a year and you'll receive them once you sign back on again after...

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭CylonYoda

CJKeane wrote: »
    Yeah you'll have to sign back on for the summer. I've done that for the past two summers and all you have to do is sign off the day before you leave and when you get back just sign back on again. You're entitled to 2 weeks of payments for holidays a year and you'll receive them once you sign back on again after...

Am I required to actually sign on. or can i leave it and travel and pick up the BTEA in September? I would be probably be looking to go on a j1 maybe.

Back to Education Allowance is paid in the same way as your current social welfare payment. It is paid for the duration of the course. If you were previously getting a jobseeker's payment, you do not get the Back to Education Allowance during the summer period between academic years. However, you can apply for Jobseeker's Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowance if you meet the qualifying conditions. You may get BTEA during the summer if you are on work placement or work experience that is an essential part of your course.

I got this from the citizens information website, I'm just wondering does anybody have any other information to shed some light on to it. I've been told different things by different people. The main thing like I said above is I wanted to try and do a J1 over the summer, but im afraid this might mess up the BTEA come September.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

What you do during the summer has no effect on your BTEA. You can claim JA, work, or do whatever.

When you get close to the end of the current year you should get a letter from your local social welfare office. They will ask when your current year ends and when the next one begins. Write the date for the start of term for next year and when that comes around your BTEA will start again once you have submitted a 'certificate of attendance' or likewise from your uni registry/admissions office.

Thanks for the info Mr Scorpion. I was afraid it would of messed up my plans for the J1.

• Advertisement
Advertisement