Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Repair - Mayfield area.

Options
  • 15-11-2011 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Mayfield, Glanmire, St Lukes area to do reasonably priced PC repair?

For some reason no signal is getting to monitor - have tried changing monitors and leads with no joy. Son thinks the problem is video card...
    Am doing my PhD so urgently need it and don't have much money :(.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 xxtallaghtxx

If its a desk top prob quicker and cheaper to buy one and do it urself?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

If its a desk top prob quicker and cheaper to buy one and do it urself?

TBH I wouldn't even know where to start. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 xxtallaghtxx

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    TBH I wouldn't even know where to start. :(

Anyone thats any bit handy with them could do it for you. Its straight forward TBH

Anyone thats any bit handy with them could do it for you. Its straight forward TBH

Any advice on how we would know it is the video card? Son is fairly handy but he says he's not sure and without being able to see a diagnostic screen he is reluctant to say for sure.

Basically we are getting a no signal message on monitor. We checked if monitor is working on son's PC and it's grand. Tried his monitor on mine - no signal. Changed the leads and he cleaned the connections. Still no joy.

Am a bit worried about doing damage to the PC as even though I have everything backed up ( 4 years of research :eek:) it's in an organised format on the PC and a bit (!) disorganised on various portable hard/flash drives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

It wouldn't be an Acer monitor by any chance would it? Is there any other connection such as HDMI out from the PC?

• Advertisement

It wouldn't be an Acer monitor by any chance would it? Is there any other connection such as HDMI out from the PC?

Acer PC but Icon monitor. As far as I know only other things connected are printer, external HD, and about 2 flash drives - will check with son when he emerges from his playing of Skyrim (:rolleyes:) that he hasn't connected anything - but it is unlikely. Broadband is wireless via dongle but has never been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Sounds like a tricky one. How old is the PC? Is it an AGP graphics card or PCi-express? Can you (or your son) swap it with the graphics card in his PC if it's the same type? Just to be 100% sure it is the graphics card and not the motherboard, or even the whole PC.

If you can narrow it down to the grapics card, I'd run over to Maplin and buy the cheapest one they have of the correct type.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

There was a place in st lukes cross not sure if its still there or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

ofcork wrote: »
    There was a place in st lukes cross not sure if its still there or not.

Stay away from there.They butchered my laptop.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Make sure your PC is powered down remove all connections from the back, then remove the RAM and give it a wipe clean. Then just put it back in and plug back in all your leads (monitor, mouse etc) make sure the power chord is the last one in. then restart and you should be good to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

paulosham wrote: »
    then remove the RAM and give it a wipe clean.

there's no way I'd be doing this myself. I can't see a single reason to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

http://www.cccit.ie/
    Eoin Purcell i think owns this,i'd recommend him highly,He sorted my Dads PC out,i know its not the exact area You want but he comes recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Hi, just wondering if you managed to get this sorted? I had the exact same problem and managed to get it sorted just now. I bought a new video card and installed it, still had the same problem.

So I took apart the PC, re-seated the RAM and removed the bios battery for a few mins and it's working perfectly now. It's quite easy to do and will save ya bringing it to a repair place.

Got it sorted - I hope! Haven't tried it out yet as just got it back. Sent it a place in Ballincollig as OH works there. It was a corrupted (integrated) video card which he replaced for 60 euro. Will let you know how it goes....

All seems to be working grand.

Son had already tried cleaning the RAM but this proved to be a temporary fix. Funny - ever since I installed a new printer have had nothing but problems. Luckily most of these were software related and son was able to fix those but he was wary of messing with an integrated video card when he couldn't see the diagnostics.

Advertisement