Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peta at their ****e again

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Sarky wrote: »
    PETA have only done one thing of note, and that was generate some good publicity for Super Meat Boy by being utterly retarded at it.

Only for PETA I never would have played Super Meat Boy, thank you PETA for opening me eyes to the amazing game that is Super Meat Boy! Most addicting game ever, only time I can draw myself away from it is when i'm feeling hungry and need to eat some steak...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

that flash game is pretty tough LOL

+1 on peta the pro troll. i honestly believe that the people behind all these controversial acts are having so much fun watching people rage at them :D!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Kadongy wrote: »
    Here is a robot translation of the statement on the German site about the rat scene:
    Gerlingen, 7 November 2011 - For some, it is the game of the year. For others a brutal first-person shooter. In "Battlefield 3", which is commercially available since last Thursday, are the ghosts. The animal rights organization PETA Germany eV criticism that can kill you in the most realistic computer game "Battlefield 3" animals sadistic manner. This gives players the option of a rat with a combat knife in the back to come to them and then lift the tail and her dead body, then cast aside like trash.

PETA points out that the killing may have a brutalizing effect of virtual animals on the young male target audience. There have been repeated in Germany on cases of animal cruelty, where young people kill animals in cruel ways. Inspiration for these
    Here is the scene been criticised:

They are talking rubbish with this. Making vegetarians look like spastics is not in line with the agenda of complete animal liberation surely?

The mario game and the parody game are different imo though. They are using that as an opportunity to make their point about the fur industry. Maybe that is what they were trying to do with the rat thing too - but whatever their intention they just sound absurd, and unfortunately consulting the source material does not make them seem any less absurd.

That's self defense if ya ask me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

did anyone else think the thread title said 'Peats' ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

"Once this first step of brutalization - in the form of animal cruelty - only done once, it is up to the violence against other people do not often far more - the scientists have already found out," says Nadia Kutscher, campaign manager for PETA.
    Wise words that we should all live by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Peta have now come out and said it was all a joke

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/326326/peta-tells-mario-fans-to-relax-it-was-a-joke/

I dont get it...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Peta have now come out and said it was all a joke

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/326326/peta-tells-mario-fans-to-relax-it-was-a-joke/

I dont get it...:pac:
    It means "haha, someone called us on our shít, best claim we were trolling so we don't look like retards!"

So where was the campaign during CoD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Someone should tell Peta that the rat isnt real. It's a computer generated image

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Cabelas-Package.jpg

Also they don't complain about this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Pfft, DICE should make a pest control mini-game just to rip the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

the fabled rumoured dinosaur horde mode :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

In duke nukem forever you can microwave a rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

PETA chicken out back down.... It was only a joke
    Animal rights group PETA has admitted its campaign condemning Super Mario 3D Land's furry Tanooki suit was not a serious attack on Nintendo's moustachioed mascot.
    "Mario fans: Relax!", a statement from PETA passed to Eurogamer reads. "PETA's game was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, a fun way to call attention to a serious issue, that raccoon dogs are skinned alive for their fur."
    "We wish real-life tanukis could fly or swat enemies away with their tails and escape from those who profit from their skins. You can help them by never buying real fur."
    The activist group was apparently left surprised at how seriously people had taken its campaign, which features a 2D Mario-themed flash game Mario Kills Tanooki. In the game players control a bloodied and flayed racoon trying to win back its skin.
    "Tanooki may be just a 'suit' in Mario games, but in real life, tanuki are raccoon dogs who are skinned alive for their fur. By wearing Tanooki, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur," the organisation originally stated.
    But PETA has now admitted it was "a little surprised" the campaign "was taken so literally". "We know how beloved Mario is - we are huge Mario fans ourselves!" PETA spokesperson Ashley Palmer told Kotaku. "Our spoof is simply making a serious point: that there is a much darker story behind tanuki skins than Mario lets on.
    Nintendo responded to the controversy earlier this week, telling Eurogamer that Mario's "light-hearted and whimsical" transformations "make no statement beyond the games themselves."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-17-peta-anti-mario-campaign-just-a-joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Looks like PETA's ''profound statement'' backfired by encouraging me to eat steak every day this week :)
    I declare next week steak week too just in case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

I love the PETA games, just for how bad they are. Anyone ever play their version of Cooking Mama?

http://features.peta.org/CookingMama/
    There's a scream at the start of that game so knock your volume down a bit first.

Incidentally, have PETA ever complained about the Pokémon games? You know, capturing wild animals, making them live in tiny balls then forcing them to knock the ever-living sh*t out of each other? Seems the kinda thing they'd hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Come at me bro

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Its like riding a bike
    181744.png

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

They're really kicking up a fuss about a scene in a video game where you kill a rat? Those people need involuntary euthanasia.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Peta can suck my balls, Animals are not people they are animals and God said we can have dominion over them so we do.

Yea I remember reading that in the bible too! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

delta36 wrote: »
    Incidentally, have PETA ever complained about the Pokémon games? You know, capturing wild animals, making them live in tiny balls then forcing them to knock the ever-living sh*t out of each other? Seems the kinda thing they'd hate.
    One of the probably plays it, they can't be having someone going against something they enjoy, no matter how much it goes against their beliefs.

I wonder if nintendo/other game creaters/publishers could send PeTA a C&D order/sue them for these - that'd show them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

LiamN wrote: »
    One of the probably plays it, they can't be having someone going against something they enjoy, no matter how much it goes against their beliefs.

Well, that seems to be a ridiculous assumption. Is that really what you meant to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

LiamN wrote: »
    I wonder if nintendo/other game creaters/publishers could send PeTA a C&D order/sue them for these - that'd show them.

Probably claim it was a parody and pull some 1st ammendment rights or such.

Sad thing is their tactics work, just look at how much PETA is in the gaming blogs due to this. They dont give a rats (stabbed or not stabbed) a**e about Mario's Tanooki suit, just they latched onto something popular and attached their name to it, its free advertising. Why do you think they get upitty at BF3 or Mario 3DS for fairly minor "crimes against animals" (or non-existant ones) yet games where you kill hundreds of animals during the course of the game and/or skin and eat them are ignored since they arent mainstream enough.

PETA are just expert trolls, just :rolleyes: at all their little childish stunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

God I hate Peta, talk about ruining a (some what) worthy cause by being completely over the top idiots about it. It is like the whole organisation is made up of 16 year olds trying to rebel against mommy and daddy

tumblr_lhhzchrZV11qhnyjso1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well we all know what happened.

Mario's ... I mean nintendos lawyers came over. Made sweet love to PETA's Uranus.
    PETA had to pull out and bend over once more. It was still sneaky to hide behind the "joke" bit. I wouldn't be surprised to see them apologising for the whole mess in a few weeks. I doubt Nintendo will let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

That was too easy, and there was no enemies :( Also, I wonder did they back down when the lawyers rang them? :P :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Heh, my flatmate just got Super Meat Boy on XBL. The rage is almost comical. Shame he can't type in PETAphile...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

you mean super tofu boy amirite :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

Have Bethesda been complained about by PETA? Seems like hunting animals in a game like Skyrim or blasting a wild dog apart in Fallout would seem like pretty good candidates for protest.

Advertisement