Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what about the "First Dog for the Aras"

• 15-11-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Listening to Mooney this afternoon talking to the breeder of the Bernese Mountain pup being trained and recruited to be one of the two first dogs! The second one is going to be an older rescue dog handed into rescue by his owners as they were leaving ireland. Hopefully the state isn't paying to feed them lol!!

Very Obamaish really.....beginning to regret voting for Michael D, it feels like he's doing it just because he's in the Aras and not because he truly loves dogs. He's 70 for God's sake, the dogs could well outlive him. I wonder who will be walking them etc. Seems like he would have enough else to do really, and what about when they are travelling so much, little consideration that the pup and dog might miss them or pine for them either. Badly thought out idea in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Very very luck dogs IMO

1. They have the park on their door step
    2. They are going to a family with huge experiance with that breed (19 years)
    3. Micheal D has grown children who are obviously used to dogs and will look after them when they are travelling.
    4. They have staff and im sure that there are animal lovers among them.
    5. Its great to see a countries leader to be an animal lover.

No way on earth do i think its a bad idea. I think it a great idea specially that they are rescue dogs.

Well done Micheal D :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Justask wrote: »
    Very very luck dogs IMO

1. They have the park on their door step
    2. They are going to a family with huge experiance with that breed (19 years)
    3. Micheal D has grown children who are obviously used to dogs and will look after them when they are travelling.
    4. They have staff and im sure that there are animal lovers among them.
    5. Its great to see a countries leader to be an animal lover.

No way on earth do i think its a bad idea. I think it a great idea specially that they are rescue dogs.

Well done Micheal D :)

Agree totally with the above, except one is a rescue and the second is a not yet born pup from a Galway breeder, she'll have him house trained she reckons before he makes his arrival at the aras.

How long do you think these dogs live for? It they live till 15 thats about it.

I think micheal D has longer then 15 years left in him:)

RubyGirl wrote: »
    the second is a not yet born pup from a Galway breeder, she'll have him house trained she reckons before he makes his arrival at the aras.

Yes your right I forgot that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

SlimCi wrote: »
    He's 70 for God's sake, the dogs could well outlive him.

I agree, no-one over 65 should be allowed to take possession of a dog, over 55 for smokers.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    I agree, no-one over 65 should be allowed to take possession of a dog, over 55 for smokers.

LMAO :p

Right better go collect my folks dogs, Their not going to be happy being moved away from the fire :rolleyes: and are going to miss getting their toast every morning before there walk. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

The man has been a dog lover his whole life and has always had dogs. Its got nothing to do with Obama, Michael D knows his dogs and is now ready for another one.

Maybe you should do a bit of research on a topic before you start on something in future, then you'd know about him and his dogs.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

There is scientific evidence to suggest that having pets prolongs your life. My 68 year old uncle has 2 1 year old pups that are walked twice daily. He walks them, meaning they are helping him stay healthy. No doubt it it the same for Michael D!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

So let me get this straight, just when someone retires and has all day to spend walking, training and playing with a dog they shouldn't have one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    There is scientific evidence to suggest that having pets prolongs your life. My 68 year old uncle has 2 1 year old pups that are walked twice daily. He walks them, meaning they are helping him stay healthy. No doubt it it the same for Michael D!
    So let me get this straight, just when someone retires and has all day to spend walking, training and playing with a dog they shouldn't have one?

That's right guys, I was being completely serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Can't you see how that clearly makes perfect sense!!!!:rolleyes:

(being sarcastic btw!) :)

I think hes joking...isnt he :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Why not a cat?

I hope whoever is pushing this idea will pay for it themselves. Perhaps, if they want to spend taxpayers money they could sponsor a guide dog being trained for the blind.

Is the Bernese mountain dog being bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Why not a cat?

I hope whoever is pushing this idea will pay for it themselves. Perhaps, if they want to spend taxpayers money they could sponsor a guide dog being trained for the blind.

Is the Burmese mountain dog being bought.

No such thing as a Burmese mountain dog;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Justask wrote: »
    I think hes joking...isnt he :confused:

Hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

It can only be a good thing

http://www.irishdogs.ie/news/2011/11/11/bill-paves-way-for-irish-government-to-enact-puppy-farm-law-(finally).html

Also it would be very unlikely that a Bernese Mountain dog sees 15 years of age. They have a short livespan from what Ive seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

That tiny little man won't be able to control that massive yoke of a dog, beautiful as it is.....I have hilarious visions of him being dragged around the Aras grounds at a super speed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

ISDW wrote: »
    The man has been a dog lover his whole life and has always had dogs. Its got nothing to do with Obama, Michael D knows his dogs and is now ready for another one.

Maybe you should do a bit of research on a topic before you start on something in future, then you'd know about him and his dogs.:rolleyes:

I was actually responding to something I heard on the radio. I still think its a bad idea and done for show. If not why does he not currently have dogs at home himself and wait until he gets into the Aras? Anyway only my opinion which of course I am entitled to...:D Seems to me at 77 or 84 when he leaves the Aras he's unlikely to be able to walk them himself and you could be right the dogs may not outlive a second term in office but they certainly will outlive a first if they are healthy. I would have more respect for him if he had dogs and brought them with him.....

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Mary McAleese had two springer spaniels while at the Aras.....and as well as the President's family, the mounted Garda unit who are stationed at the stables next door (where the dogs lived) help look after them - giving them a walk in the morning and feeding them, or at least they did a few years ago! :D

Pretty sure Michael D's dogs will get the same privileges.....(unsure if the dogs were let into the Aras actually?)

As for the age thing - even if the dog outlived the president, there's also his wife and kids who no doubt take care of the dog also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Michael D is an expert on Bernese Mountain Dogs & has bred/shown them. Even so he has gone to another expert - Valerie from the Bernese Breeders Association & Rescue.

The only concern that I share with Valerie is a slight worry that the Bernese will become "trendy".

But is it great to have a President who wants to take a rescue dog. Many rescues in the USA were hoping that Obama would do the same.

There is a possibility that Mooney will follow the process, including the homecheck ! This would be a good way of promoting responsible ownership. At least, if or when, an Animal Welfare Bill gets passed we can be sure of Michael D's signature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Perhaps I've suffered a sense of humour failure but are people here really suggesting that the State is picking up the tab for President Higgins canine companions ?
    He will pay for them and associated costs out of his pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I think it's great for Micheal D, great for rescues and most importantly, great for the dogs! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I was actually responding to something I heard on the radio. I still think its a bad idea and done for show. If not why does he not currently have dogs at home himself and wait until he gets into the Aras? Anyway only my opinion which of course I am entitled to...:D Seems to me at 77 or 84 when he leaves the Aras he's unlikely to be able to walk them himself and you could be right the dogs may not outlive a second term in office but they certainly will outlive a first if they are healthy. I would have more respect for him if he had dogs and brought them with him.....
    He's had dogs all his life AFAIK, he grew up on a farm and has always been passionate about animal welfare. Just last Friday he signed the Greyhound Welfare Bill into law so for you to say it's all for show is very unfair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

magentas wrote: »
    He's had dogs all his life AFAIK, he grew up on a farm and has always been passionate about animal welfare. Just last Friday he signed the Greyhound Welfare Bill into law so for you to say it's all for show is very unfair

Was just about to post the very same thing myself, in fact the Welfare of Greyhounds Bill was the first bill he signed in to law. And rumour has it the Dog Breeding bill is soon to follow. Finally a politician who actually cares about the animals and not just the politics behind it. I say fair play to Michael D. not only is he getting a pup but a rescue dog as well and what a home it will be going to. This will give great and much needed publicity to rescues all over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Catlover

I'm glad to hear that one of the dogs in the Aras will be a rescue dog. Pity it couldn't be both of them.

It may be depending on what puppies become available. Michael D is being sensible in that he will not have two pups or young dogs together. He will want the first to be settled & trained before the second comes along.

But I agree that it would be great if he took a rescue mutt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Perhaps the reason he doesn't have dogs to bring with him is that he decided to focus on his political career with the presidential election in mind for the past few years, and rather than get a dog and not be there to care for it as much as he'd like, he has waited until now when things are settled for the next few years.

Just another possibility...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

If it is only for show (I don't believe), even that is a good thing. To promote adopting a rescue can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement

LucyBliss wrote: »
    Perhaps the reason he doesn't have dogs to bring with him is that he decided to focus on his political career with the presidential election in mind for the past few years, and rather than get a dog and not be there to care for it as much as he'd like, he has waited until now when things are settled for the next few years.

Just another possibility...

Not just a possibility. Valerie confirmed this during her interview on Mooney.

Advertisement