Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Road Layout at traffic lights at Bryanstown Manor

Options
  • 15-11-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I see they have a new road layout / road markings at the traffic lights at the junction the Bryanstown Cross Route and the Dublin Road.

There are now two lanes of traffic at the lights on the Dublin Road coming from both directions ie Black Bull and Train Station.

However if you are coming from the train station and turning right onto the Cross route, and proceed up to the middle of the junction, you are sitting directly in the line of traffic coming from the Black Bull direction that are going straight up the Dublin Road. That traffic has very little space to pull over and proceed up the Dublin Road.

Does anyone else think this is dangerous? I can picture a few head on collisions there as people coming from the Black Bull have to go into their right lane to go straight through the lights and then find a car waiting to turn right from the opposite direction is sitting right on front of them with very little room to manouver over?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Saw this for the first time today and thought exactly the same. All it will take is one eejit in the left lane who decides to go straight on, or one eejit not being careful enough from the right lane and it could be a disaster.

The solution should have been to narrow the grass verge at the junction at the lights on the left for Bryanstown, but I'm guessing that they weren't allowed to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Ive seen two head on collisions at that junction in the past year. Its pure dangerous. I wonder some sort of round about would be a better solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Yes I couldn't believe it tonight driving in from the black bull direction. It is definitely badly thought out and potentially very dangerous. What the hell are these people thinking? Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

gebbel wrote: »
    Yes I couldn't believe it tonight driving in from the black bull direction. It is definitely badly thought out and potentially very dangerous. What the hell are these people thinking? Madness.
    They would be the same people who cannot have the traffic lights sequence for Scotch Hall car park entrance on the Dublin Rd. disabled when the car park is shut.

Saw the junction in the distance this morning as I left my estate heading towards Dublin. Looked in the direction of the junction to check for traffic and saw a truck in the middle of the road (obviously waiting to turn right for Bryanstown).....flippin' scary sight, it was!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but is that not always been how that junction has operated? Or at least how it's work in recent years? To be honest, I was thrilled to see them actually put the lines down, since its how it's operated for years anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

i may be wrong but it looked this morning like the filterlane for turning right onto bryanstown has been removed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

DYLF wrote: »
    i may be wrong but it looked this morning like the filterlane for turning right onto bryanstown has been removed

it has indeed, just noticed it myself. bit of a joke

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but is that not always been how that junction has operated? Or at least how it's work in recent years? To be honest, I was thrilled to see them actually put the lines down, since its how it's operated for years anyway....

You're right, it has worked that way, and there were lane markings on both sides of the road (coming from and going into Drogheda). What's changed is that the lanes are now wider, although the road itself isn't any wider. Traffic heading into Drogheda now cross the junction onto the wrong side of the road unless they move left pretty sharpish.

The required change of lane wasn't as drastic with the old markings, and it certainly didn't feel as if you were heading straight into opposing traffic!

DYLF - the markings were there last night (about 6.30pm), didn't pass that way this morning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm trying to search back in my memory but I can't really remember much lane markings there. All I can remember are people parking accross the two "lanes" when coming from Wheaton Hall, blocking people from turning left into Bryanstown, as well as having it that when you pulled up coming the other way and stopped to turn right, people would bull past you without much sympathy, often mounting the graass rather than wait a second or two.

I agree the lane markings make parts of the road slimmer and I wouldn't want to try and get a bus down them, but part of me is just glad we've got offical markings down so there's no confusion about things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭positron

Am I right in thinking that this junction is going to be even more of an issue when the new school starts there (You can probably tell I am not a fan of mamy-mobiles and their ways).

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭soupdrinker

The new lanes are still there this evening.

Basically on each side of the traffic lights, the road has been split into 3 lanes.

Coming into Drogheda - the left lane for turning in Bryanstown, the middle lane for going straight into drogheda and then the lane for oncoming traffic.

Coming from Drogheda, the left lane for going straight through, middle lane for turning into Bryanstown and then the lane for oncoming traffic.

So the traffic coming into Drogheda is directly infront of cars stopped waiting to turn right into Bryanstown.

If cars coming straight into Drogheda need to veer sharply left (especially if there is a car sitting in the white box in the middle of the junction waiting to turn right into Bryanstown - this could cause major problems especially when a car coming into Drogheda is in the left lane (for turning) and realises it wants to go straight!

Potentially you have two cars heading for the one lane - with no room to merge if there is a car in the middle of the junction waiting to turn right.

I know it wasn't ideal the way it was but this seems like madness to me!:mad:

Teamshadowclan,

There were some road markings at the junction all right - but they were quite faded so were certainly not as obvious as those there now! If you look closely (when it's not raining!), you can see where the line-marking crew burned off the old markings.

The new lanes are still there this evening.

Basically on each side of the traffic lights, the road has been split into 3 lanes.

Coming into Drogheda - the left lane for turning in Bryanstown, the middle lane for going straight into drogheda and then the lane for oncoming traffic.

Coming from Drogheda, the left lane for going straight through, middle lane for turning into Bryanstown and then the lane for oncoming traffic.

So the traffic coming into Drogheda is directly infront of cars stopped waiting to turn right into Bryanstown.

If cars coming straight into Drogheda need to veer sharply left (especially if there is a car sitting in the white box in the middle of the junction waiting to turn right into Bryanstown - this could cause major problems especially when a car coming into Drogheda is in the left lane (for turning) and realises it wants to go straight!

Potentially you have two cars heading for the one lane - with no room to merge if there is a car in the middle of the junction waiting to turn right.

I know it wasn't ideal the way it was but this seems like madness to me!:mad:

the lane coming up to the lights on the way out of drogheda is still there but they got rid of the box that the car pulls into to wait for filter light when turning onto bryanstown. its very dangerous the way it is atm as the cars coming from dublin direction need to veer in to miss the cars sitting waiting for filter light and thats because of how narrow they have made the new yellow box. the old one was much wider and even then a car could sit in the middle of the road waiting for filter light without blocking traffic heading towards dublin. they could have reduced the yellow box slightly if they had to but they cut it to much and its an accident waiting to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 noelcosgrave

However if you are coming from the train station and turning right onto the Cross route, and proceed up to the middle of the junction, you are sitting directly in the line of traffic coming from the Black Bull direction that are going straight up the Dublin Road. That traffic has very little space to pull over and proceed up the Dublin Road.
    Looking at the layout, I'd say that isn't the only problem. Coming from Drogheda, the lane for going straight ahead after the junction seems very narrow. I can see an HGV having difficulty staying within the white line without mounting the kerb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

lines are being repainted now, they are removing some lines, and repainting them..

The
    y have changed it again and its worse now than it was at the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

m.j.w wrote: »
    The
    y have changed it again and its worse now than it was at the beginning

Agreed.

This junction now is a major accident waiting to happen. I just hope I'm not, or anyone i know is involved. As said all it is going to take is one small moment of stupidity and we all know the cross route is renowned for stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

The first painting was simply marking what people were doing anyway, so wasn't really as bad as the way theyve leeft it now. It's both awful and stopping traffic from progressing, who came up with this one? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭soupdrinker

D rog wrote: »
    The first painting was simply marking what people were doing anyway, so wasn't really as bad as the way theyve leeft it now. It's both awful and stopping traffic from progressing, who came up with this one? :eek:

i agree the first painting was similar to what people were doing except the old way at least the 2 lanes coming from and going to Drogheda were on opposite sides of the road. When it was painted there was too much of an overlap with 2 lanes directly facing each other.

however now, they've only one very narrow lane now coming out of drogheda with white lines stopping you from moving over into the centre of the road, so now if there are a few cars waiting to turn right into Bryanstown and there is no gap in traffic from the other direction you're going to end up with a huge tailback:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

D rog wrote: »

I heard Richie Chulhane on LMFM the other morning boasting about it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

This junction is really annoying me. It was fine the way it was, everyone knew the system and it worked. Now, as has been said, its a defo accident waiting to happen. I live in Bryanstown Manor, but f*ck that, if I'm coming from town in the future I'm gonna use Poorhouse lane :mad:

its a joke the way it is. instead of getting rid of the lane on the coming out of town side why didnt they get rid of the lane on the dublin side. most of the time when you are coming from dublin and looking to turn left onto byranstown the cars that are waiting to go forward stop you from getting the filter light anyway. if they were all in the one lane it would stop cars having to serve in at the last minute to miss the car in the middle of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

m.j.w wrote: »
    its a joke the way it is. instead of getting rid of the lane on the coming out of town side why didnt they get rid of the lane on the dublin side. most of the time when you are coming from dublin and looking to turn left onto byranstown the cars that are waiting to go forward stop you from getting the filter light anyway. if they were all in the one lane it would stop cars having to serve in at the last minute to miss the car in the middle of the road.

I agree, the filter light turning left into Bryanstown is of little benefit and does nothing to alleviate the traffic when it's backed up on the Dublin Rd. Whereas the new road markings completely block up the junction coming out of Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Crazy change to the layout. There was a need to address the worn out markings going northbound as some people unaware were stopping in the middle impeding traffic filtering into Bryanstown. Before the change if you were going northbound there was a slight veer to the left required but acceptable.The change to the Southbound lane is a disaster restricting the flow totally. Anyone got a few paintbrushes and we'll lay it out for them correctly tonight?

Advertisement