Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now It's Personal - Ian O'Doherty

• 15-11-2011 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

On RTE 1 ar 10:15 tonight.So Ian O'Doherty (the Irish Richard Littlejohn) has spent a week living with Muslims.I'd doubt if his mind has been broadened as it would mean that he'd have to find something else to write about,but will anyone be watching this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    On RTE 1 ar 10:15 tonight.So Ian O'Doherty (the Irish Richard Littlejohn) has spent a week living with Muslims.I'd doubt if his mind has been broadened as it would mean that he'd have to find something else to write about,but will anyone be watching this?
    Yeah think I will - looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Jesus, bit of an ignorant w@nker isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Jaysus, this lad is an absolute sham.

That extremist Irish muslim lad was obviously saying mad stuff. Most of the rest of the people seem like decent people and he keeps trying to turn them into demons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I think Ian is getting the rough end of the stick...if he had to hang out with Catholics and be made go to mass he would be equally annoyed and pissed off..don't understand why they are making him go to prayers. The couple in Ballyhaunis were ridiculous, 'we have gay friends' but 'we are anti gay'....bollocks. If the aim of the programme was to change people's views on Muslims and Islam, well it didn't do a very good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

Benny_Cake wrote: »

I don't think that's a good comparison. Richard Little John is a conservative who strongly dislikes gays and foreigners while O'Doherty is a lot more liberal but just thinks all should see things his way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 white1awake

Ian O'Doherty was an embarrassment. His whole demeanor screams "coming to a detox near you".
    He was like a princess, couldn't handle sleeping rough for one bloody night, and then he lost his rag when someone had the nerve to point out his (obvious) drinking problem, haha. It was pathetic.

Bottom line is that no individual Muslim is Europe's problem as such. Our problem lyes in the massive numbers of them coming, coupled with our (whites) low birth rates and their massively high ones.

Simply put, what we really have is a math problem: too many of them being born, not enough of us. Think about what Europe will be like 50 years from now if this continues (which it is going to since we have no leaders with the balls enough to stop it).

Anyways, Ian O'Doherty is a puff piece. And he was pretty friggin rude to a lot of those people tonight as well.....it is one thing to disagree with them , but the way he spoke to some of them (telling the butchers in Ballyhaunis they made him "****ing sick") was a disgrace.

Hey Ian: grow the hell up. And buy some decent shoes for god's sake, you need to leave the teenage dirty sneaker look to the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

groovyg wrote: »
    I think Ian is getting the rough end of the stick...if he had to hang out with Catholics and be made go to mass he would be equally annoyed and pissed off..don't understand why they are making him go to prayers. The couple in Ballyhaunis were ridiculous, 'we have gay friends' but 'we are anti gay'....bollocks. If the aim of the programme was to change people's views on Muslims and Islam, well it didn't do a very good job.

Ian signed up for this programme to challenge his own views and opinions. It would be unrealistic for him to not visit a mosque considering its the Muslim religious beliefs that he has issues with. How would he get a true flavour of the religion without visiting a Mosque and observing what goes on? Fair enough if he didnt want to actually pray, and from what I remember the Muslins respected that wish, but to walk out in the middle of it because he'd "seen it all" was pretty rude.

I would agree that it didn't do much to change people's beliefs though, that Irish muslim guy was a bit of a fruitcake..I guess they chose him for his extreme opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonniealan

I read his column now and again and sometimes find it quite funny and even clever, but tv is deffinitely not the medium for him. Even though i might have agreed with alot he said he just came across bad. ( in his deffence think he had a cold, very testy also when it came to booze not a good sign )

Islam like most religions is very hypocritical ( think Islam more so than other religionst though)

I have yet to make up my mind about wheather plan by Islam and muslims to take over Europe and the world is just scare mongering or not. Some of the odd balls being interviewed would certainly back that up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

Jonniealan wrote: »

Islam like most religions is very hypocritical ( think Islam more so than other religionst though)
    Don't generalize things -- I think often hypocrites generalize things -- let cut to chase -- What makes you think Islam as hypocritical ? i mean
    ( think Islam more so than other religionst though)
    what makes you think Islam more so than other religionst though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

yellowcard.gif Let's not "cut to the chase" and just focus on the TV program. Please use another thread or PM if you want to continue that discussion. Same goes for any comments relating to "immigration/them/us". Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 karenharmlem

Bottom line is that no individual Muslim is Europe's problem as such. Our problem lyes in the massive numbers of them coming, coupled with our (whites) low birth rates and their massively high ones.

Simply put, what we really have is a math problem: too many of them being born, not enough of us. Think about what Europe will be like 50 years from now if this continues (which it is going to since we have no leaders with the balls enough to stop it).
    Whoa, I think from this you may not see Muslim's as mere human beings, just like white people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

chopser wrote: »
    O'Doherty is a lot more liberal but just thinks all should see things his way.

LOL. The dictionary definition of a "liberal".

Hobbes wrote: »
    Let's not "cut to the chase" and just focus on the TV program. Please use another thread or PM if you want to continue that discussion. Same goes for any comments relating to "immigration/them/us". Thanks.
    Hobbes, what's problem with you -- You see this statement
    Originally Posted by Jonniealan

I am asking, what makes him to think Islam being hypocritical religion ---
    Am i not allowed to ask such questions ---- The question is in context of thread -- As he posted the statement in the same thread -- You've got no problem with his statement on the other hand you've got problem with my question -- After reading your remarks and behavior towards Islam -- I must say --
    Great hypocrite are the real atheists. - Francis Bacon Sr. :)

BTW: I am still waiting for answers of those questions which i had asked you in the feedback forum -- The questions which were deleted to hide truth -- The questions which exposed your moderation... please do us a favor , go to some place other -- We don't need an atheist to safeguard our right --

I am sure you would delete this comment -- Please don't make this foram a hell hole --

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonniealan

dead one wrote: »
    Hobbes, what's problem with you -- You see this statement

I am asking, what makes him to think Islam being hypocritical religion ---
    Am i not allowed to ask such questions ---- The question is in context of thread -- As he posted the statement in the same thread -- You've got no problem with his statement on the other hand you've got problem with my question -- After reading your remarks and behavior towards Islam -- I must say --
    Great hypocrite are the real atheists. - Francis Bacon Sr. :)

BTW: I am still waiting for answers of those questions which i had asked you in the feedback forum -- The questions which were deleted to hide truth -- The questions which exposed your moderation... please do us a favor , go to some place other -- We don't need an atheist to safeguard our right --

I am sure you would delete this comment -- Please don't make this foram a hell hole --

You have a persecution complex

I will pray for you

yellowcard.gif Please lets not drag the thread off topic. Also may I direct the new people to read the forum charter. Thanks.

You have a persecution complex
    fail to answer a valid question -- It means all of your logic and reasons are based on fantasy -- you are brainwashed by hypocrite media against Islam ---- You have learned Islam by twisted minds --
    I will pray for you
    I would like to march in hell, if your pray will lead me to the heaven -- pray for yourself --- So long, last comment in the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Teferi wrote: »
    That extremist Irish muslim lad was obviously saying mad stuff.
    Like Big brother, the crazies get people to watch the program, and the crazies will get people to talk about the program, and watch it next week when it's on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 white1awake

I have yet to make up my mind about wheather plan by Islam and muslims to take over Europe and the world is just scare mongering or not.

It really has nothing to do with Muslims themselves, the focus is on the wrong people. It is White liberal European politicians that are bringing them in (the not illegal ones, that is). Now a TV show with real teeth would have focused on THAT issue, not played to the lowest common denominator and tried to play "us" against decent Muslim people themselves.

Btw, do you have any idea how many White people are actually left on earth? Would it surprise you to know our numbers are now in the single percentage points and falling?

Like I said, this is essentially a MATH problem, and sad to say, unless there is a reversal in immigration policies in the West, life for future Whites is going to be very, very "challenging", to say the least.
    Whites are unique in that we tend not think as a group, but most other tribes DO think that way and agitate for their own interests.
    We must teach each other to do the same.

redcard.gif For the last time, this thread is for discussing the TV program as it pertains Islam religion.

It is not for peoples views on white rights or immigration policies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Teferi wrote: »
    Jaysus, this lad is an absolute sham.

That extremist Irish muslim lad was obviously saying mad stuff. Most of the rest of the people seem like decent people and he keeps trying to turn them into demons.

Such as the guy born and bred in Dublin who told Ian he would punch him and knock him out for drawing a picture of a legendary figure named Mohammad and that a cartoonist should have been sent to prison for the same?
    Not my idea of decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Is it on RTE Player? I checked and couldn't find it. I have ready O'Doherty's columns and he come accross as an ignorant idiot who likes to lump people into boxes based on his views of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

I read Ian's column a couple of times a year. Sometimes I am in agreement with his views but even then felt that he is primarily "a shock jock". Have just watched the programme on RTE playback. All of what was said to him, from the man from the Clonskeagh Mosque to Khalid Kelly was stuff he would have heard before and would have been nothing new to him, however extreme, and he dealt with it well. But he seemed deeply uncomfortable a lot of the time - uncomfortable generally in himself, not just with the subject matter. Did he actually say "I hate the country side" as he travelled to Mayo? I guess he was not prepared for how much he would be exposed, thinking only that it would expose the Muslim community. It was shocking to see him come undone at the mosque in Mayo and say that although he is an atheist, listening in the mosque made him want to bless himself. He seemed really afraid. Why should that be? He himself stated that he could not understand any of it. Maybe fear is at the core of all shock jocks? His discomfort really detracted from the programme.

• Moderators Posts: 51,866 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Is it on RTE Player? I checked and couldn't find it. I have ready O'Doherty's columns and he come accross as an ignorant idiot who likes to lump people into boxes based on his views of the world.

Link to the program

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

chopser wrote: »
    I don't think that's a good comparison. Richard Little John is a conservative who strongly dislikes gays and foreigners while O'Doherty is a lot more liberal but just thinks all should see things his way.

Given that he describes himself in the first 30-seconds as "unashamedly right-wing" I don't think he could be described as liberal - or that he would describe himself as such.

He just seems borderline-obsessed with Muslims,but also came across as very uncomfortable in his own skin - quite an insecure guy. His reaction to the "alcohol problem" jibe was a little OTT to be honest - it's pretty mild compared to some of the slaggings I've heard among groups of lads before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

groovyg wrote: »
    I think Ian is getting the rough end of the stick...if he had to hang out with Catholics and be made go to mass

You'd be right if it was a case of unannounced Muslims coming around to Ian's house to turf him out of bed.

But it wasn't - it was him who initiated this, asking to stay with them and see how they typically live. Then he storms out rudely because they take him at his word. It's incredibly rude - in any culture - to be asked to be a guest of someone and then throw a strop like that.

He's also an amazing hypocrite. When he used homophobia as a benchmark as to whether or not Muslims should be allowed to live in Irish society, well, my ironymeter went off the scale (more on him here: http://www.gcn.ie/Homosexuality_=_Bestiality_says_Ian_ODoherty_)

Also I don't think anyone who says drug users are "feral, worthless scumbags" and says "if every junkie in this country were to die tomorrow I would cheer" comes under any definition of the word liberal:

http://bengoldacre.posterous.com/its-amazing-what-people-feel-entitled-to-say

And considering he makes a living at being offensive, his over-the-top reaction to a jibe about drinking - and his own constant references to it - were interesting.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wallst

O'Doherty is not really important. Is he a moron or a genius, or and asshole etc? Who cares, he's just some dude.
    Islam and their beliefs.
    Freedom and democracy and western values.
    They reject those values and they r the core values of the western world.
    Is Ian O'd a saint? Who cares.
    It's not about terrorism or fundamentalists.
    Freedom, secularism, equality, democracy are important.
    R women treated as equals?
    Is freedom allowed in Islam?
    Is secularism allowed in Islam? There is one one true religion all others shd be converted or killed.
    Democracy, is it ask the people or the Sharia clerics?
    Right to a fair trial.
    Consider this in our wonderful democracy, 55% of voters are Muslim. Suggestions please as to what referendums we would be holding. It wouldnt be judicial salaries, it would be abolishing the judicial system.
    Wake up, take a look at the Middle East, and u can move there if u think I'm being unfair and its not that bad.
    O'Doherty may be a moron, but not so big of a moron he doesn't see the threat this religion presents to our way of life.
    Call me a bigot, racist etc.
    What I am is a person, ready to die to protect freedom the most basic human right. Wall St control is bad enough, imagine handing our sovereignty over to a couple of Imams.
    Womens rights.
    Freedom of speech.
    Democracy.
    Equality all gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

wallst wrote: »
    O'Doherty is not really important. Is he a moron or a genius, or and asshole etc? Who cares, he's just some dude.
    Islam and their beliefs.
    Freedom and democracy and western values.
    They reject those values and they r the core values of the western world.
    Is Ian O'd a saint? Who cares.
    It's not about terrorism or fundamentalists.
    Freedom, secularism, equality, democracy are important.
    R women treated as equals?
    Is freedom allowed in Islam?
    Is secularism allowed in Islam? There is one one true religion all others shd be converted or killed.
    Democracy, is it ask the people or the Sharia clerics?
    Right to a fair trial.
    Consider this in our wonderful democracy, 55% of voters are Muslim. Suggestions please as to what referendums we would be holding. It wouldnt be judicial salaries, it would be abolishing the judicial system.
    Wake up, take a look at the Middle East, and u can move there if u think I'm being unfair and its not that bad.
    O'Doherty may be a moron, but not so big of a moron he doesn't see the threat this religion presents to our way of life.
    Call me a bigot, racist etc.
    What I am is a person, ready to die to protect freedom the most basic human right. Wall St control is bad enough, imagine handing our sovereignty over to a couple of Imams.
    Womens rights.
    Freedom of speech.
    Democracy.
    Equality all gone.

Really?You might want to tell Turkey that.Thank God for keyboard warriors.

Ian O'Doherty reminds me of a David Aaronovitch quote about Rod Liddle (in response to a hysterical Liddle article about Muslims in Paris):

"It seems to me that there is only one state of ignorance more complete than total lack of knowledge, and that is the one engendered by sending Rod Liddle somewhere for a couple of hours."

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

I did enjoy the thinly veiled threat along the lines of '1 in 4 people in the world are muslim and this is growing"
    This was in reference to death threats and violent reprisal upon those who dare to depict Mohammad.
    Charming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jocmilt

I think the most significant point in the programme was when O'Doherty had a panic attack and ran from the Mosque in Ballyhaunis. Still visibly shaken outside the door he said that although he is an atheist he 'felt like blessing himself'. He was spooked. So how much of an atheist is he? And is this childish fear of strange cultures his real motivation for his hatred of Islam? A real atheist would not have such a fear of something the don't believe exists and neither would they feel like 'blessing themselves', or think that blessing themselves would do any good. Only a very immature person who is still deeply emotionally rooted in their Catholic upbringing would feel that way. And is he an alcholic? He certainly looks like one and went on the defensive like one when his drinking was mentioned by a Muslim. His drinker friends mentioned it at the start of the programme and wonder how he was going to cope without it for a week. Well he didn't did he? The first chance he got he was in the pub "having a pint and reading the newspaper". It was embarassing to watch and if the progamme makers were hoping that by sending a 'right wing bigot' as he admitted he is called to bait Muslims in the hope that his abnoxious behaviour, insults and use of foul language, would elicit a violent outburst/ then, like Ian, it was a waste of time. That's my opinion anyway.

koth wrote: »

Thanks. Doesn't work outside Ireland unfortunately. Is it on Youtube?

Edit: Just found it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at_m5c9jud0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Same Ian O' Doherty that was photographed standing angrily with his arms crossed wearing a poppy the other week? (whatever about ones opinion on the poppy is). Same Ian O' Doherty that thinks Ibiza it a great holiday destination? This guy is a muppet with a serious chip on his shoulder. Is he physically small by any chance? :D

Ok, just finished watching it. First of all, fair play to him for doing it. I have read some of his articles about Muslims and it seems to be he has the typical view of someone who knows absolutely no Muslims in everyday life and is brain washed by the anti-Muslim propaganda in the media. The best way to deal with these people is to invite them down to the mosque, or to your home and show them that we are not the scary monsters they think we are!

The conversation between him and his colleagues at the start was cringeworthy, and it is scary that the journalists who write in our national newspapers have such narrow minded ignorant views. Comments they made such as "I think you're putting yourself in to a potentially dangerous situation" are just absolutely ridiculous.

Some of his comments at the start were downright nonsense:
    "The thing we have to be prepared to say is it's our house, our rules" - erm Ian, don't you realise that many Muslims are Irish, it is our house? Many of the things your generation do now would be against the rules of your ancestors and founders of this country, in fact many of our rules are closer to the values this country was founded on, so don't give us that rubbish.

"Islam, the religion of peace, and if you disagree, we'll kill you" - Ok, a typical broad generalisation. Says a lot more about him than it does about Muslims.

"Islam, the biggest thread to face the west since the end of the cold war" - How many western countries have been attacked by Muslim countries lately? I can't think of one. On the other hand, the west has attacked Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Pakistan and are gearing up for an attack on Iran. With 40,000 Muslims in Ireland, if Islam was such a threat, don't you think there would be a lot of attacks by Muslims on Ireland and Irish people?!

Other thoughts, walking out of the sermon at Friday prayer was stupid. Although why the Imam didn't give the sermon in English is beyond me. He must have known Ian O'Doherty would be there, at the very least there should have been a translation read out. Also he does seem to have a big problem with people commenting on his drinking. If he is dishing out the insults then he should be prepared to take them.

I was happy to hear him speak to the brothers in the Mosque at the end as it showed that he has taken some steps towards opening his eyes. He seemed to have realised the basic obvious fact that everyday Muslims are just like ordinary everyday non-Muslims, we just work hard, raise our families and want to live a peaceful life. We are not here to take over the country, force introduction of Sharia Law or force everyone to convert to Islam.

I have yet to make up my mind about wheather plan by Islam and muslims to take over Europe and the world is just scare mongering or not. Some of the odd balls being interviewed would certainly back that up.

Of course it's scare mongering. Look, I would say that every Muslim would love it if this country was Islamic and all Irish people converted. In the same way when you see a movie you think is great, or listen to a new CD by your favourite band, you want all your friends to see/listen to it and like it. But this crap about Muslims wanting to take over Europe is just a complete joke, and how people can believe this is true is beyond me.

I did enjoy the thinly veiled threat along the lines of '1 in 4 people in the world are muslim and this is growing"
    This was in reference to death threats and violent reprisal upon those who dare to depict Mohammad.
    Charming.

I didn't take it as a thread. It was more along the lines of he shouldn't be insulting and hurting so many people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

I watched the program and I thought that guy Ian was a disgrace. I would liken him most to that extremist guy he was talking to on the docks. I drink myself and the show to me went a great way in showing the effect of an unhealthy lifestyle in comparison. He overacted in storming out of the mosque. How badly were they torturing him ??? It would have made a more interesting program with someone less biased.
    Of course it's scare mongering. Look, I would say that every Muslim would love it if this country was Islamic and all Irish people converted. In the same way when you see a movie you think is great, or listen to a new CD by your favourite band, you want all your friends to see/listen to it and like it. But this crap about Muslims wanting to take over Europe is just a complete joke, and how people can believe this is true is beyond me.

I think a fear would be for instance that if we had a majority of muslim citezens that we might have to live under the laws of the majority, like sharia law...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Thanks to irishconvert for posting a link to the video on YouTube - this allows those of us currently based outside Ireland to watch the programme.

I thought that this was an interesting programme that, as often happens in this sort of format, revealed as much about the presenter as about the subject matter. It was interesting to see the "sufi mosque" in Dublin and the mosque in Ballyhaunis (the second most westerly purpose-built mosque in Europe, apparently).

I must say that I was a little surprised that the widow living near Cork was willing to have Ian stay overnight, though perhaps her sons would have qualified as chaperons - this was a contrast with the family in Ballyhaunis, where the wife didn't want Ian to stay, despite her husband and four sons being around.

Finally, is a programme of this nature incomplete without an appearance of Khalid Kelly? He popped up in the programme that was shown earlier this year "The Truth About Irish Muslims", which I guess Ian didn't watch, and here he was again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I watched the programme on the RTE Player today. I'm a 50-year old Christian female, and wouldn't be a fan of Ian, but was interested to learn more about Irish Muslims, and to see how Ian got on, and if his views changed at all.

The most shocking thing for me was that it was only after his week that Ian said that in future he'd differentiate between peace-loving Muslims, and extremists when he wrote about Islam etc, in future. I wouldn't be as knowledgeable as him on many matters - but come on - for years I've been saying that thinking all Muslims support terrorism is like the British thinking all Irish agreed with the terrorists actions of the IRA in the past.

Also, towards the end of the programme he referred to 'political Islam' - it seemed that he was comparing that to those who would support terrorism, murder etc. As a practicing Christian, I should hope that my faith would influence my political views - I want a world where people are treated decently and fairly, where all children are cherished and get equal opportunities, where wars and violence are overcome by peace and love. I don't know, but I would think that followers of Islam would have their political views shaped by their faith - and that doesn't necessarily, or exclusively mean that they want to 'take over the world'? Can Muslims be 'political' without being aggressive? I would think so.

Still if Ian has broadened his outlook, that's a good thing. And the programme did make for interesting viewing for us 'outsiders'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

As a practicing Christian, I should hope that my faith would influence my political views - I want a world where people are treated decently and fairly, where all children are cherished and get equal opportunities, where wars and violence are overcome by peace and love

So as a christian, you would want a world where people are treated decently and fairly? Presumably where homosexuals have the same rights as straight people, in that they could marry as well as adopt? Where children aren't involuntarily indoctrinated but are allowed to make their own mind up without external influence?

Sorry, but some people's faith are simply not compatible with a world where everyone is treated decently and fairly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

In reply to the previous post....

Firstly...I think we should abide by the guidelines, and attempt to remain on topic, i.e. discussing the television programme in question.... but seeing as you ask, yes, I personally believe in equal rights for gay people.

And I chose for my own children to attend an 'Educate Together' school, where they would be educated with children of all faiths, and none.

However...I believe I'm echoing a previous post in this thread by stating that if one has something wonderful and valuable in one's own life, it's understandable that one would wish the same for one's children.

I think there's another thread on another sub-forum, where people can also post about this programme, but I chose to do so on the Islam forum, because I wanted to show some respect for my Islamic brothers and sisters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Assalaamu 'alaykum

I watched this programme and one thing stuck me yet again about RTE.
    Why oh why is Khalid Kelly trotted out by them as the Irish face of Islam?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalid_Kelly

I find this person offensive and feel that he is not representitive of the peaceful and calm face of Islam that I have come to know through my association with followers of Islam in my own area and abroad.

chucken1 wrote: »
    Assalaamu 'alaykum

I watched this programme and one thing stuck me yet again about RTE.
    Why oh why is Khalid Kelly trotted out by them as the Irish face of Islam?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalid_Kelly

I find this person offensive and feel that he is not representitive of the peaceful and calm face of Islam that I have come to know through my association with followers of Islam in my own area and abroad.

I think Muslims here would be entirely within their right to make a complaint to the BAI (http://www.bai.ie/broadcasting_complaints_complaintprocess.html) specially about the trotting out of KK by the media. Noone in any other community would expect, on the rare occasion their community is portrayed in the media, to have a bigot represent them.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

The part at the start where they're worrying about what the Muslims he'll encounter will be like is rather OTT. And I do think that the lack of drink is over-emphasised and that he's simply playing up the the 'alcoholic Irishman' stereotype. Glad to see him put Khalid Kelly in his place, though. Also, can't understand why he kept offering to shake hands with women when he already knew that there was a rule against it.

The whole thing really reminded me of An Idiot Abroad where the guy goes through the whole experience not really appreciating anything because he's too busy complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Khalid Kelly is, much like the Evangelical Christians in the U.S., the worst possible aspect of Islam.

It's like comparing all of Christianity on the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church to all of Islam based on the actions of Al Qaeda.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rebellious Jukebox

Sorry, but some people's faith are simply not compatible with a world where everyone is treated decently and fairly.

the rule's of people's faith can change through dialogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

you think every muslim wishes ireland was islamic ? , thats quite an odd statement

irishh_bob wrote: »
    you think every muslim wishes ireland was islamic ? , thats quite an odd statement

every christian probably wants us all to be christian
    it's not that odd

bluewolf wrote: »
    every christian probably wants us all to be christian
    it's not that odd

i think its very odd indeed , i dont believe in god yet i have no wish for everyone or anyone to be an agnostic or athiest

irishh_bob wrote: »
    i think its very odd indeed , i dont believe in god yet i have no wish for everyone or anyone to be an agnostic or athiest

theists have a wish for everyone to go to heaven i think and not to go to hell, so it naturally follows from their belief that they want the best for everyone
    i don't wish everyone would follow my religion either, to each their own, but i can see where they're coming from

bluewolf wrote: »
    theists have a wish for everyone to go to heaven i think and not to go to hell, so it naturally follows from their belief that they want the best for everyone
    i don't wish everyone would follow my religion either, to each their own, but i can see where they're coming from

thiests arent nescesserily muslims though

• Advertisement
Advertisement