Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clearing brambles and rushes

• 15-11-2011 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Looking for help on the best way and the best time for clearing brambles and rushes. We've alot of the grunt work done; pulled the rushes and brambles and heaped them in the corner of the field. With that done, there are still some rushes and brambles growing from other land into the fence. I was going to saw all the tree (hawthorns) bases and cut the bambles but what to do then ? could I burn them or do I need to spray them ? all advise welcome, cheers..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

get a 6-12 ton track machine in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

1chippy wrote: »
    get a 6-12 ton track machine in.

Hi 1chippy, had the track machine in last week to do all the grunt work. My problem is that he could'nt get close enough to the fence and could'nt go the neighbours side of the fence to stop the rushes and brambles growing through. Now, I'd planned on cutting all the butts of the trees and setting it alight - but can i do this and if so, any recommendation on how to do this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Hi 1chippy, had the track machine in last week to do all the grunt work. My problem is that he could'nt get close enough to the fence and could'nt go the neighbours side of the fence to stop the rushes and brambles growing through. Now, I'd planned on cutting all the butts of the trees and setting it alight - but can i do this and if so, any recommendation on how to do this ?

the yanks used napalm...kills everything,

have a bit of respect for your trees. setting fire to the butts will kill them.

a few brambles are good for making jam but if you are that desperate selective spraying with brushwood killer controls them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

ootbitb wrote: »
    the yanks used napalm...kills everything,

have a bit of respect for your trees. setting fire to the butts will kill them.

a few brambles are good for making jam but if you are that desperate selective spraying with brushwood killer controls them.

Cheer ottbitb.. the trees are killing the fence at this stage, tried puning but its every year and too much hassle. Would the brushwood kill the rushes too ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Cheer ottbitb.. the trees are killing the fence at this stage, tried puning but its every year and too much hassle. Would the brushwood kill the rushes too ?

no, MCPA for that.

round- up or the cheaper version (can't recall the name) will kill both and all grasses but all of these chemicals are harmful to your trees and general wild life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cgold

ootbitb wrote: »
    no, MCPA for that.

round- up or the cheaper version (can't recall the name) will kill both and all grasses but all of these chemicals are harmful to your trees and general wild life.

Hi,

Rambo is the other Glyphosate based spray that will kill them. Glyphosate also appears in Roundup, as Roundup is only a trade name of a Product, not an active Ingredient. However, as the weather is getting colder, the effect of the spray on the plant will be minimal. There is a more friendly alternative, which is really regulat pruning of the the Brambles, which will eventually decimate them. I wouldnt recommend buring them, as this can get out of hand quickly. If it remains mild enough, and if you get 6 to 8 hours of no rain, mix some liquid Nitrogen based feed into the sprayer, such as Tomato Feed etc, and this boosts the growth of the target plant, which in turn takes in the spray more effectively.

Hope this Helps,

P

• Registered Users Posts: 11 doghunter

hi,
    you are far better using a brushwood killer on the tree butts, Altex ( product name not active chemical) if using rambo/roundup drill a hole into the butt and fill this with undiluted chemical, brushwood killer, Altix will not kill grass if you are using it to kill brambles on grass areas.

Advertisement