Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My DIY Polytunnel

Options
  • 15-11-2011 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Following in the footsteps of Redser7 in this thread, I've put up my version of a similar polytunnel. I'll post more pics in the coming days because I have some of the earlier photos on a different camera that I need to charge up.

Basic materials:
    Polythene and anti-hotspot tape from nad.ie
    60mm duct piping from dublin builders providers.
    48mm 5foot scaffolding poles a scaffolding supplier.
    8foot scaffolding boards
    4 x 2 timber
    2 x 1 timber
    Builders band
    Lots of screws (1,2,4 & 6 inch)
    Lots of elbow grease.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

BIG thanks to Redser7 for providing plenty of tips and help along the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

That's a fantastic job, well done man. Looks solid as a rock! Adds a new dimension to the plot, at the very least somewhere to go for a cuppa :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Add a scaffolding plank outside of the bottom ones, all the way around to make it even more secure. Will keep the polythene nice and tight also.

Lovely job. Looks great and will be great for next Summer. An inspiration to us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Some nice ideas here so just my 2 pence worth.

The 48 mm scaffold will sleeve into 58 mm o/d pipe for which a nice clean hole can be drilled with a 60mm by by 600 mm breach bit such as seen here

http://www.hilti.ie/holie/page/module/product/prca_rangedetail.jsf?lang=en&nodeId=-97349

I know its not the sort of gear u get in a lucky bag but it saves a load of grief.

drill a hole across the top of the 58 for a nail or bolt for holding down the scaffold

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

looks good,
    i also notice that you have built 2, how come you built 2 instead of one bigone?

• Advertisement

The polythene is attached with batons but one of the sides was buried in a trench, dfbemt. Dont need anymore scaffolding to secure it further.

Not sure what you mean Carlow52.

SB, I've only built the one. The others you see are on someone elses plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

sirpsycho wrote: »
    The polythene is attached with batons but one of the sides was buried in a trench, dfbemt. Dont need anymore scaffolding to secure it further.

Not sure what you mean Carlow52.

SB, I've only built the one. The others you see are on someone elses plot.

i was thinking that might have been the situation allright,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jameswburke

Great job there. Don't know if you need the door bracing though which might get in the way. I've had mine for a year now and have scaff boards around the sides to weigh it down. Also staked into ground with timber which is then screwed to the scaff boards. I bought mine in the end but I could have probably made it (!). It uses electical pipe (red type) like yours. They make metal brackets which screw into timber base with tech screws. The place I bought it from now make fruit cages too, hanging on the hoops which can be extended onto your tunnel if you have the space. See their website at www.jmpolytunnels.com Carlow.

Cheers!

My site is very exposed so I dont want to risk any damage so I had to put the bracing in place. It will get in the way a bit but it will be easy enough to work around them.

Advertisement