Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iran and hijab

• 15-11-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm hoping to go to Iran in December for a month (still waiting for my visa). I know what I can and can't wear but I'm wondering if there are any shops that sell manteaus in Ireland? It would just be easier to have this sorted before I go instead of having to buy one in Tehran when I land.

I'd also love to speak to some Iranians before I leave so if people want to pm me that'd be great. I live in rural Munster but more than willing to travel.

Mods, please feel free to move this if in wrong forum.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

You can probably pick one up in the Mosques in Dublin, South Circular Road and Clonskeagh.

Have you thought about your safety when planning this visit considering all the talk of Israel attacking Iran? I think it is unwise to go right now as some kind of attack is imminent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

You can probably pick one up in the Mosques in Dublin, South Circular Road and Clonskeagh.

Have you thought about your safety when planning this visit considering all the talk of Israel attacking Iran? I think it is unwise to go right now as some kind of attack is imminent.

Not true. Its all talk that's repeated every single year, and in any case even in the very slight possibility that an attack does happen they wont be hitting any of the major cities.

EDIT: Also OP don't worry about how to wear it properly or anything, tbh they don't really care even if most your hair is showing, if you've ever seen any videos of Iran you can see this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

Jaafa wrote: »
    Not true. Its all talk that's repeated every single year, and in any case even in the very slight possibility that an attack does happen they wont be hitting any of the major cities.

EDIT: Also OP don't worry about how to wear it properly or anything, tbh they don't really care even if most your hair is showing, if you've ever seen any videos of Iran you can see this is the case.

Not necessarily. In Tehran that was the case when I was there, however the police have been cracking down on public displays of fringe since the protests have started, and as a foreigner you would be well advised to not draw any attention to you. Also I wouldn't hold out much hope of you getting the visa to be honest unless you are only getting a transit visa. Just make sure your hair is covered and that you arms and legs are covered and you will be fine.

But about the Israel attack, it is a slim possibility to be fair, America are cranking it up and they could easily let Israel off the leash for a strategic attack. Me, I would say **** it but make sure you do know it is a possibility. But it will probably be moot as I don't believe you will get a visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Ben Hadad wrote: »
    Not necessarily. In Tehran that was the case when I was there, however the police have been cracking down on public displays of fringe since the protests have started, and as a foreigner you would be well advised to not draw any attention to you. Also I wouldn't hold out much hope of you getting the visa to be honest unless you are only getting a transit visa. Just make sure your hair is covered and that you arms and legs are covered and you will be fine.

But about the Israel attack, it is a slim possibility to be fair, America are cranking it up and they could easily let Israel off the leash for a strategic attack. Me, I would say **** it but make sure you do know it is a possibility. But it will probably be moot as I don't believe you will get a visa.

I think that US and Israel are friendlier with Iran and Iran with them than they publically let on! Israel's main enemies are really the Arab countries and historically Iran was used as a buffer by them to contain Saddam and other Arab nationalists who really hated Israel. America would not allow a real enemy in power for 34 years!

This Taliban stuff in Iran is a dying bee in my opinion. Some misguided uneducated types still try to enforce it but are failing and most police do not agree with what they consider to be stupid laws anyway. Also, many high up politicians like the current and former president do not emphasise it and the current king (Khamenei) is officially pro this but he has turned a blind eye to it because he wants to give the people some social freedom so he can remain in power. Khamenei is a manic depressive and his moods are erratic hence he sometimes changes his policies and can be moderate or hardline depending on how he is mentally. Also, Iran welcomes tourists as much as possible and relax a lot of things for guests to the country.

Advertisement