Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are couriers actually obliged to deliver?

Options
  • 15-11-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I got a call from a courier early this morning saying he had a package for me but that he probably wouldn't have time to deliver it. He said he was currently in a location about 40 miles from me and wanted to know was there anyone I knew there so that he could deliver it to them. When I told him I didn't he said he would contact me later in the day.

About an hour or so later I got a call from him again. Same story except this time he was about 30 miles from me. Again I didn't know anyone in the area that he could deliver it to, so he told me that I wouldn't be receiving the package today. I asked him when I could expect it and he said he didn't know it would depend on when he was back in the area again.

About 3 this afternoon he rang me again and said he could make it to a village about 3 miles from me but would not have the time to deliver it to me and he would just leave it into the local shop for me. As I never use that shop I didn't think it was appropriate so I asked him to deliver it to the post office, three doors down from the shop. He said this was not possible, and if I wanted the package in the near future he would have to deliver it to the shop which I reluctantly agreed to.

Is this common practice among couriers? I have had packages delivered to the post office a couple of times when I wasn't home but I've never had a courier actually refuse to deliver to me. Is there any legislation about this? I was tempted to ring the office and complain about him many times during the day but anytime I asked him which company he was with he just ignored me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The courier contract is probably with the party who is attempting to send you the goods. Get in touch with them, and let them know that the courier is not fulfilling their arrangement.

That way they can stop payment to the courier until the parcel is delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

dudara wrote: »
    The courier contract is probably with the party who is attempting to send you the goods. Get in touch with them, and let them know that the courier is not fulfilling their arrangement.

That way they can stop payment to the courier until the parcel is delivered.

Technically the parcel was delivered though, just not to me. I collected it this morning. I thought yesterday that it was a dog toy I ordered but it wasn't. It was clearly marked urgent and confidential and due to the nature of the contents I will be complaining to UPS, although I know it won't get me anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Have had this sort of nonsense from courier companies in the past, and if the customer doesn’t let me know I cannot do anything about it.

If I was the shipper there would have been a full scale screaming match and driver told to deliver yesterday

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Technically the parcel was delivered though, just not to me. I collected it this morning.

No it was't, somebody paid for a door to door service, not door to shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

due to the nature of the contents I will be complaining to UPS, although I know it won't get me anywhere!

sounds interesting!!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I will be complaining to UPS, although I know it won't get me anywhere!
    UPS may not really care all that much (IIRC only the sender of the package can complain), but if you complained to the people who sent you the package, you can be sure they'll care about the courier refusing to deliver the package to you, and only delivering to somewhere that suits them.

Also, ask the company who sent you the the package who signed for it at the shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Technically the parcel was delivered though, just not to me. I collected it this morning.

No it was't, somebody paid for a door to door service, not door to shop.

I never actually thought of it that way. I've emailed (ranted at) UPS but I think I'll email the sender as well. There was actually a pile of parcels in the shop this morning. Apparently it's become common practice for UPS to dump local deliveries there.

the_syco that's a good point. I forgot that it would have required a signature.

I never actually thought of it that way. I've emailed (ranted at) UPS but I think I'll email the sender as well. There was actually a pile of parcels in the shop this morning. Apparently it's become common practice for UPS to dump local deliveries there.

the_syco that's a good point. I forgot that it would have required a signature.

Please do, as someone who sends stuff regulary world wide, it helps to know what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭coolabula

If it happens again ring the sender (not courier company) and tell them you haven't received the goods.
    They will have to contact the courier company for a proof of delivery and when they see it has been sent to the wrong address and signed by someone unauthorised to do so, they will have to re-arrange delivery directly to you.

I used to work in customer service(nightmare) and dealt with dodgy couriers all the time, giving our customers hassle and grief, after enough complaints we switched couriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kme2108

Most post offices do not accept parcels or packages from couriers companies for pick up by locals.they are paid to deliver the goods just like the postman

dumping on the local post office or shop is a short cut for courier who goes home early.
    post office is in competition with courier companies for this market
    ask courier to deliver as per contract ....or post it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement