Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a marine tank (120 litre)

Options
  • 15-11-2011 9:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

My girlfriend aqquired a Juwel 120 litre tank for free from a friend of hers.

She is looking at setting up this 2nd tank on the dinning room as a marine tank.Some soft corals and a few sea shrimp and clown fish

How hard is it to do and maintain??

She is experienced at fish keeping and has done the large 500 litre tank in the sitting room (pics posted here before) and also a lovely Tanganyikan Tank to.

Is it a big step up to do a marine tank?

Thanks.:)

P.S-Also looking fo a suitable cabinet for the Juwel Rekord 120 litre tank.

Anyone got one they dont want???:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

If she's experienced at fish keeping it'll make it a lot easier for her than if she were starting with a Marine tank. She'll need to get a Protein skimmer in addition to the usual setup.

Marine tanks aren't the easiest to look after, but if you take your time and set it up slowly (buying live rock and letting it cycle), adding some cleaner shrimps/snails etc, and then eventually the fish. It takes money, patience and a LOT of research. But if she puts the work in it'll pay off in the long run. Marine tanks are beautiful :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

No bother. I'm no expert or anything, just make sure ye do a lot of research about it beforehand and keep researching while it's up and running, it helps if she understands a bit about water chemistry in fish tanks, so she'll be able to do regular tests on the water to make sure all is running smoothly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd recommend a visit to Seahorse Aquariums. Really knowledgeable staff and a lovely range of marine fish, corals etc.

We were out in Seahorse Aquariams today and chatted to the staff out there.

I have decided to take the plunge and get a custom built marine tank and custom built wallnut cabinet made up by Seahorse Aquariams.
    The decision was made after speaking,in great depth,to Keelan in Seahorse,as he gave us some very wize and sound advice about long term marine tank setup and mantaining it.

I got a very good price on both items,and both items should be made and ready to collect in around 10 days time.

The tank will have an external sump (2nd seperate tank) built into the cabinet and the protien skimmer and heater goes into the sump.
    So we will end up with a nice clear and clutter free.
    Going for sand,live rock,soft corals,sea shrimp and some clown fish.

Pics to follow soon.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Looking forward to the pics. Kealan is a legend!

(very jealous btw. a custom tank from Seahorse is on my 'things I'll get when I win the Lotto' list!)

Quick Update........

I have sourced an RO water kit.
    I also went and bought the following items today.........

1 x Deltec Protein Skimmer
    1 x FMR75 Fluidised Reactor and Pump
    1 bag of Bio Pellets
    2 x Koralia 4s turbine blowers
    1 x V2 Vectron 600 UV Light Sterilisation System.

Also popped back out to Seahorse Aquariams and chat with he lads out there to see when the cabinet and tank will be ready.
    The cabinet will be ready next week,but the tank cannot be moved or lifted for at least 1 week after its been made and sealed,otherwize it will be leak city.So Im looking at the 1st-2nd week of December till the tank is at home and in place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Good luck with it.

Did you get a price on salt? Can be very expensive

godtabh wrote: »
    Good luck with it.

Did you get a price on salt? Can be very expensive

From speaking to a few people.....about 70-80 euro for a large tub of it,which will last around a year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

paddy147 wrote: »
    From speaking to a few people.....about 70-80 euro for a large tub of it,which will last around a year.

You sure? I heard people go through that a month!

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    You sure? I heard people go through that a month!

Our marine tank isnt a monster though.
    Wish it was.:D

Our marine tank isnt a monster though.
    Wish it was.:D

That was for a 400l tank. Don't know much about marine but I know marines can be expensive

We went through the dimensions with Keelan and Jim out in Seahorse this morning.

The tank grew is size and volume from 120 litres up to 300 litres in a matter of around 5 seconds.

Oh well.:D

Custom tank,custom sump and custom wallnut cabinet should be ready in 3 weeks time

Also bought a new 5 stage "pumped" RO system today for 220 euro.

Should be on my doorstep tomorrow afternoon.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

did your tank arrive yet Paddy? very interested to see what it's all going to look like.

i think a lot of us would like a marine tank, but most of us would be too chicken to actually take the plunge and invest, so we can just live vicariously through you. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    did your tank arrive yet Paddy? very interested to see what it's all going to look like.

i think a lot of us would like a marine tank, but most of us would be too chicken to actually take the plunge and invest, so we can just live vicariously through you. :)

Spoke to Jim and Keelan in Seahorse over the weekend.

Work has started on the tank itself,but it will take 10 days -2 weeks from the time the tank is finished before they can even move it.The silicone and clear resin has to fully set and seal before they will even attempt to move it.

Should have a few pics emailed to me this week.:)

Looking at the week comming up to Christmass before we get it delievered.

The RO kit arrived today,so Ill get all the various kit together and take a pics of it all so far.:)

As the saying goes......"all good things come to those who wait".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 norris

Dare i ask , how much has it set you back already. I have been keeping a freshwater tank for about 3 years but would have always loved to get a 250L tank (not including sump). I heard to total system was expensive but the scary thing for me was the running costs. Does anyone rougly know how much it would be?

keep us updated on events as i would love to know how you got on

norris wrote: »
    Dare i ask , how much has it set you back already. I have been keeping a freshwater tank for about 3 years but would have always loved to get a 250L tank (not including sump). I heard to total system was expensive but the scary thing for me was the running costs. Does anyone rougly know how much it would be?

keep us updated on events as i would love to know how you got on

Well the reason why we have invested in the RO system and a large bucket of sea salt is so we can produce our own marine tank water,as this will keep costs down.

Looking at about 2000 euro for all the equipment and tank,cabinet and sump.

Then we have to get it up and running and buy the sand,live rock and corals and fish.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Well the reason why we have invested in the RO system and a large bucket of sea salt is so we can produce our own marine tank water,as this will keep costs down.

Looking at about 2000 euro for all the equipment and tank,cabinet and sump.

Then we have to get it up and running and buy the sand,live rock and corals and fish.:D

Just wondering. Do you need to add trace elements back into the RO water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

Just wondering. Do you need to add trace elements back into the RO water?

Not for marines. The salt contains everything you need.
    For freshwater aquariums it is vital to remineralise it before use.

I wouldn't be put off by the pricing Paddy has put up there if anyone was thinking about setting up a marine tank. I had a 250l tank with a 90 litre sump, very good skimmer, lights etc... all in I spent about 2000 including live rock. I did spend about another 600 on livestock though. Going for a cheaper skimmer and equipment I could have done it for 1500. If you are not bothered about the sump it could be done considerably cheaper.

Custom is custom though. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I personally will not buy live rock/sand from a shop, way to expensive, PM me and I can point you in the right direction.

Pity I didn't see this sooner I was selling soft corals for €5 each there and sold 10kg of live rock for €60 :rolleyes: Went out of corals there a month or so ago, now focusing on breeding!

I am going down the breeding route, can sort you out with some banngai cardinals :D

But I would avoid buying livestock from big shops, seahorse are great for custom tanks, equipment and advice, but their prices on livestock are shocking! :eek: I refuse to buy livestock from there.

I have a 300litre tank up and running myself, fully sumped, saved around €1000 buy going down the second hand route -
    Tank €350 with cabinate and sump
    Skimmer €120
    Return pump €60
    Heater - both were free :D
    Live sand - 40KG for €25
    40KG live rock - Spent around €250 for all that in total
    chaeto - free
    RO/DI unit - had one built in in 2005 still running magically
    20kg of salt €35 ;) (brand new unopened)
    Hydrometer - Free
    Koralia 5 - €30
    Koralia Nano - €5 (Ebay!)
    55watt T5 unit - €60
    25watt T5 unit (for refugium) €40
    150watt metal halide - Free with tank! (No longer running it!)

Stock: (Price I paid Vs. Price in Seahorse)
    2X banngai cardinals (currently breeding, male holding for 3 weeks now) - Free! - (€40 each in seahorse)
    1X True percula clownfish - €17.50 (€35 in seahorse)
    1X Pink and Blue goby XL (He's around 5 inches!) - €17.50 (€35 in seahorse)
    Purple firefish - have him 3+ years - €35 (got him in seahorse before I became wise to their highly inflated stock prices, can get him for €17.50 in another shop)

I will be getting a solar wrasse next for €17.50, he is €40 in seahorse.

PM me and I can point you in the right direction regarding getting cheaper stock - I buy from shops who sell at wholsale prices not inflated shop prices.

I bought most of my corals from other marine keepers, I did however lean towards buying my SPS and LPS from seahorse, they are brilliant when it comes to coral stock and overall health!

PM sent Jenny.:)

I personally will not buy live rock/sand from a shop, way to expensive, PM me and I can point you in the right direction.

Pity I didn't see this sooner I was selling soft corals for €5 each there and sold 10kg of live rock for €60 :rolleyes: Went out of corals there a month or so ago, now focusing on breeding!

I am going down the breeding route, can sort you out with some banngai cardinals :D

But I would avoid buying livestock from big shops, seahorse are great for custom tanks, equipment and advice, but their prices on livestock are shocking! :eek: I refuse to buy livestock from there.

I have a 300litre tank up and running myself, fully sumped, saved around €1000 buy going down the second hand route -
    Tank €350 with cabinate and sump
    Skimmer €120
    Return pump €60
    Heater - both were free :D
    Live sand - 40KG for €25
    40KG live rock - Spent around €250 for all that in total
    chaeto - free
    RO/DI unit - had one built in in 2005 still running magically
    20kg of salt €35 ;) (brand new unopened)
    Hydrometer - Free
    Koralia 5 - €30
    Koralia Nano - €5 (Ebay!)
    55watt T5 unit - €60
    25watt T5 unit (for refugium) €40
    150watt metal halide - Free with tank! (No longer running it!)

Stock: (Price I paid Vs. Price in Seahorse)
    2X banngai cardinals (currently breeding, male holding for 3 weeks now) - Free! - (€40 each in seahorse)
    1X True percula clownfish - €17.50 (€35 in seahorse)
    1X Pink and Blue goby XL (He's around 5 inches!) - €17.50 (€35 in seahorse)
    Purple firefish - have him 3+ years - €35 (got him in seahorse before I became wise to their highly inflated stock prices, can get him for €17.50 in another shop)

I will be getting a solar wrasse next for €17.50, he is €40 in seahorse.

PM me and I can point you in the right direction regarding getting cheaper stock - I buy from shops who sell at wholsale prices not inflated shop prices.

I bought most of my corals from other marine keepers, I did however lean towards buying my SPS and LPS from seahorse, they are brilliant when it comes to coral stock and overall health!

Great post Jenny,thanks.:)

We are going for "soft corals" as we have ben told by members on the irish fish forum and also be some people we have got to know out in Seahorse,that LPS and SPS is harder to keep and look after.

So seen as this is our 1st marine tank,its live rock,soft corals,some shrimp and clown fish for now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Great post Jenny,thanks.:)

We are going for "soft corals" as we have ben told by members on the irish fish forum and also be some people we have got to know out in Seahorse,that LPS and SPS is harder to keep and look after.

So seen as this is our 1st marine tank,its live rock,soft corals,some shrimp and clown fish for now.:)

Soft corals are the best option starting out, theres all the time in the world to go onto harder things, take it easy and slow. I kept SPS/LPS for a year or so but ended up selling all my corals, running the light was way too expensive, so I'm now going down the fish breeding route, have my baby banngai's on the way and trying to find a nice male percula clown!

There are a lot of beginner safe fish, I find you cant go wrong with blennies, as long as the tank is cycled, a blenny will do grand. Cardinals are great peaceful easy fish too, chromis while a bit blah are great for bringing out shy fish. You want hardy fish.

Basslets like royal gramma I found are hit and miss, mine bullied my regal tang to death. :mad:

Avoid damsels, they will take over even a 6footer after a while! Also avoid dottybacks or pseudochrome - they will look like a royal gramma - pink and yellow but are actually a grouper and very aggressive!

Advertisement