Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring/Well water

Options
  • 15-11-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi Guys after forking out 9 euros for 30ltr of mineral water, got me thinking that i should look for a spring or well water for my brew. One of the guys at work reckon he can fill up my containers with spring water form a well near his village that is costantly in use. Will this work or will it potenial spoil my brew.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

hi, we have sunken well in our house for our water supply.... I used it, was no problem with it, Id say go for it! You can say your beer is organic!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭covey09

Its more for the monitory benifits, should be able to bring the cost down to about 57 cent a bottle (500mls) all in. Although after brewing the Canadian Blonde id say the water source could'nt help!

Yea Im doing a Coopers heritage lager tomorrow night myself and just bottled 25 litres of water from the tap there. Its not caused me problems before !

What other Kits have you done, put on the Coopers European Lager kit today, was eyeing up the Coopers brew masters Pilsner. Whats your best todate

My first was a coopers Irish stout, which exceeded my expectations, I have also put down coopers real ale two weeks ago in a second fermemnter I got which seems to be coming along fine, and the heritage lager is going down now. I can only speak for the stout and it was top class, I tweeked it a bit with a yeast starter and some hops so improved on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

argos have jug filters for €7, also stops you having to lug all that water around. I have done taste tests with others and most prefer filtered over bottled.

Remember bottled water can be sitting around in clear plastic bottles under lights for months, yet they have somehow convinced people it is fresh and tap water is evil.

Is your tap water really that bad? might not need filtering at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

I'm sure it'll be fine i use tap water all the time. There is 2 aspects to this area, there is water quality and water chemistry. Obviously in terms of quality you want your water to be clean and think this is as far as most home brewers go. You can also tinker with your water chemistry to achieve certain a mash PH if your an all grain brewer. All depends on what level your trying to achieve

Ok overall i get the geist, tap waters ok. Filter and it will be spot on!

• Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

If you have really hard water, filtering with a breta doesn't get rid of the excess lime... which I have. I'm thinking for my next brew of either driving to a good well, or boiling my water and leaving it sit to let the lime precipitate out. Only thing with this is the boiling also gets rid of oxygen so it needs to be vigorously aerated before fermentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

used tap water for mine and it worked out delicious, starting my christmas batch tomorrow and i'll be using tap water again!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

I use tap water too and it works out grand, it's perfectly drinkable and clean, but I can taste the lime in my drinking water so it has to contribute to the taste of my beer, which I would rather it didn't.

Must be handy having the Lime for brewing a Cerveza;)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭para45

Lads Newby that still hasnt started .But doing my homework before starting .

1. ) I have extremely hard water but have a water softener . The water from the water softner is lovely and people always say its like still water from bottle but when you shower its a nice oily water or smooth like baby oil but not oily

2.) And also a water filter system of mains that doesn't go thru the water softener . This is extremely lovely water but could maybe be like very hard water going thru the same as 10 types of different britta jugs

Before i got this i use to go thru a kettle no matter what the cost every 4-6 months and replace my hot water cylinder immersion element every 6 moths

So what is the best to use :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Do a batch with each and find out for yourself.

I have the coopers pilsner (tap water) on at the mo and have the coopers european lager (spring water) conditioning so will report back in a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭para45

BeerNut wrote: »
    Do a batch with each and find out for yourself.
    Ye makes sense . Just thought you will know. Although the water is very hard its very good quality water . Lovely now with the water softner:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Get reverse osmosis water from the fish shop. Add sulfates.

Advertisement