Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constipated Two Year Old

Options
  • 15-11-2011 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

The poor little mite is having lots of trouble passing stools today and yesterday. Nothing different in his diet, but he's off his food, not even coco pops will he eat. Is there anything palatable I can get into him to help get him moving again. He's been eating pureed fruit, but it doesn't seem to be getting him going. He's not dehydrated, drinks his milk and juice no problem.
    What works?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Orange juice... or you can get something from the chemist that might get things moving...

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Hes drinking the OJ alright, I'm guessing he's got some syrup of figs coming his way. Better batten down the hatches. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

You could try a tiny bit of really soapy soap up the bottom. It works in a couple of minutes. Always worked on mine when they were younger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

OP - if it doesn't clear after prunes/stewed apples, you may want to take him to GP to make sure there aren't any blockages. If he swallowed something that wasn't digested then it may be literally stopping him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

You could try a bath and then a tummy massage with lots of oil on your hands. Massage the area for as long as he'll tolerate and just wait for the air flow and the rest will follow.
    Try water instead of milk - it could be clogging him up and cut out sugar type drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

I tried brown sugar in cooled boiled water. PHN recommended it. Worked I've also had to give her babylax. It works but my daughter hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

my lady suffered with that since the age of 13 months and was potty trained at 18 months becasue of it, i never gave her anything as i she would be needy on laxatives, she continued that way to age 3. She only went once every 3-4 days.

however for a one off here and there diabetic chocolate it good, its low in sugar and runs right threw you...

it doesnt have to say diabetic chocolate its low sugar chocolate, your son might be more tempted to eat low sugar chocolate than drink prune juice.....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My friends son suffered really bad with constipation for a a prolonged period when he was about 3.. She took him to an Osteopath and she said it solved the problem completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Also be careful with the fruit purée you give him. If they contain bananas it might make him even more constipated. Learned that one the hard way :(

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Is it freshly squeezed OJ or cartoned that you're giving him? I was told that if you squeeze it yourself it works much better seeing as it's 100% pure juice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Nothing different in his diet, but he's off his food, not even coco pops will he eat. Is there anything palatable I can get into him to help get him moving again. He's been eating pureed fruit, but it doesn't seem to be getting him going. He's not dehydrated, drinks his milk and juice no problem.

If he normally has coco pops, I would avoid them and give him something with more fibre in it, like Weetabix. Also, milk isn't great when you're constipated, water is vital to get the stuff moving!

Trying giving him water with some prune juice in it, it should do the trick. Grapes are brilliant too, and sweet. Kids usually love them.

Advertisement