Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netbook for young lad.

Options
  • 15-11-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭

*ahem* santy is looking for a netbook for a 12 yr old. Any bargains out there...was thinking in the region of E200 or so

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

My 13 year old wants one too and I saw one in carphone warehouse and enquired about it and was told they had none left and they sold them off for €150 and the one in the one in the shop was just a demo model. I was raging.
    So I went to PC World the other day and saw this one
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ACER-Aspire-One-522-Netbook-Black/306860/2.5.0

which I would have bought until I got a 20% discount code from Littlewoods and bought this one instead http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/asus-intel-atom-n570-dual-core-101-inch-netbook---black-1011px/952483807.prd?cmtag=o&_requestid=622&browseToken=/q/pv028&totalResults=1

It was €207.20 with the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Any idea if the Littlewoods one would be good enough for watching videos / films ?? Looking for something portable myself mainly for internet but would be good to be able to have it for videos too.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Currys have a good range for €229.Some are reduced from €299.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My daughter got the Acer aspire one a couple of years back (it was just out) and its a great little machine, it gets lots of abuse (even been dropped off a bunk bed:mad:) and its fine for web and even doing homework and projects.
    You can play vids from USB or web, but screen size is a bit small for my liking.
    No CD/DVD drive hasn't been much of an issue either, but battery life isn't that good, 1 1/2-2hrs ish I think. (may have been bit more new)
    Highly recommend them, have seen them reduced to around €200, €229 in argos i think.

Here it is on amazon, £179
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Netbook-Processor-Battery-Windows/dp/B005G9C4J0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1321475195&sr=8-6

My daughters is windows XP, so don't know how the windows 7 ones are.

Thanks for that - the Acer ones in Argos seem to be out of stock everywhere (or at least anywhere I've checked).
    Any recs for any of the Currys ones? Or any comments on the Littlewoods one?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Sorry I cant give any further info , I've ordered the one from Littlewoods but it hasnr been delivered. I read the reviews on it before I ordered and they were all good so thats why I went ahead with it.
    If you click the link I posted above you'll be able to read them.

Remember that they don't have dvd drives so if you want to watch movies you may do it via usb.

Are Tesco still doing the E Machines laptop for €299?

Thanks Karen, I'm just a bit bamboozled with all my searching:o

zerks - thanks for that ... had spotted the Tesco one but want something a bit smaller for travelling .... watching videos would be more used for anything online rather than using dvds so no dvd drive shouldn't be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Just a quick question re netbooks,,im assumeing they have wireless facility so as to be able to pick up the broadband anywhere in the house,,yea/no

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭007.57

if they say 'wifi' in the description then they should have wireless

however make sure you turn it on, I had a netbook and when i first got it I was totally frustrated with it because it wouldnt connect to internet, but then after i ripped out all my hair including my leg hair, I noticed a few symbols on the keyword FTN + wireless logo. when i held 'function' and pressed 'F3' or something, Voila, the wireless worked!

• Advertisement

Have a look at this thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056422328

A couple of bargains picked up in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Hp one's for around 200 in pcworld, 200 for samsung less reliable i believe.

Go for a longer battery life as all battery life reduces over time anyways, save on the elec.

And if its for a child please please think about getting gadget insurance for it, I broke mine by standing on it lightly, compared to my 800 euro sony vaoi which dropped and bounced on the road after 4 years and is still fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Bumping this one up, anyone aware of any sub €200 netbooks currently available online or bricks and mortar?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I just came on here to post!! Went looking for one today, Argos have them for 219! But looking for a bargain even better!!

maiden wrote: »
    I just came on here to post!! Went looking for one today, Argos have them for 219! But looking for a bargain even better!!

What Argos did you see those in - been sold out in any I check for the last week or 2

They are in 2 of the Limerick stores

Ah sugar, nowhere near me ...oh well

maiden wrote: »

Ah, I'm stupid , sorry - thought you were talking about the Asus ones ... those were the ones I was after ... sorry for confusion and thanks for going to the trouble of looking for me:o

Use this as an easy way of checking stock!! So sorry for the confusion

http://www.checkargos.com/

Asus one in stock galway

http://www.checkargos.com/index.php?productId=508%2F6115

• Advertisement

Thanks a million! Searched for that site but couldn't find it before .... going to save me a whole load of hassle.
    Thanks!

Advertisement