Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getty Images and Flickr

• 15-11-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

I got a mail from FlickrHQ saying I got an offer from Getty images to enroll with them and picked out 5 images from my stream for possible inclusion. Is there anything in this or is it spam?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

was just looking at that the other day. looks legit, but the remuneration could be questionable..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Not spam. I have a few photos with them. Took a bit of time to upload, has to be 3mb min, keywords, paperwork if someone is in the photo etc.
    Then I forgot about it totally. Have made about €360 based on 3 sales, 1 for same photo to ESPN so hoping it's an annual thing.
    I commented more (Irish Gretty Group) in a recent thread about selling photos online- have a search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I received the same email but having read through all the terms and conditions I still wasn't quite sure what I stood to get out of it. It was very unclear in relation to fees... almost non-existant if I recall correctly.

Who picked the 5 photos and why was the first thing that had me curious since a couple of them were of my son.

Having read around different forums and the like it was unclear whether it was worth the effort or not. I see one guy who got paid something like 76c for usage of their photo. I see that dinneenp has made a few bob which would be more in-line with the min I'd hope to get out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

thanks everyone. They picked some odd ones out of my stream alright but I'll read more into it.

You get a very small % of the sale, something like 20%.
    this is the photo which ESPN bought, is was bought for $560 approx so Getty gets a great big cut. The way I look at it is I'm happy with 20% of that instead of 100% of nothing.

Price depends on how the photo is bought and for what, my rugby one was for tv/media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

They're completely legit, they signed some agreement with flickr a while back. Biggest stock and microstock vendors in the world now, after agressively buying up the competition.

Initially the arrangement with flickr was pretty good, there were two pricing tiers, rights free and rights managed, but the prices were pretty good (even if getty did get 80% for RF and 70% for RM images). Recently though they've opened a 'flickr open' collection which is microstock (and shared with one of their microstock libraries IIRC) and could result in images going for pennies. You don't get to decide the licensing model, whoever picks your image does.

From my experience they've chosen exclusively portraits from my stream. I've put some other stuff into the getty contributers pool but its never been reviewed. Instead every week or so on tuesday I get a couple of images hand picked out of my stream and requested for licensing. You need signed model releases for anyone in the images. I've been dithering about putting any of them up, the idea of whoring out pictures of my kids for chump change doesn't really appeal.

This is an example of one they (perhaps inexplicably :) )selected:

4682680623_cb2f311e0a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I've been dithering about putting any of them up, the idea of whoring out pictures of my kids for chump change doesn't really appeal.

I'm with you on that, I've resisted any urge to pawn pics of my kids for cash. The models I shoot (all release formed up) however, are all out there in the collection as well as a few landscapes and weirdly enough, some abstract stuff.

Made a few bob but nothing to shout about ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Got a mail from them today, going to give it a whirl. Does anyone have any tips on how to fill out the payment/tax bit when you sign up? :confused:

I don't remember offhand what I put in but I had to google it and maybe look up Getty help section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

@squareballoon are you also stock contributor?

• Advertisement
Advertisement