Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book suggestions; dystopian future

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Seres wrote: »
    Just gettin stuck into The Handmaids Tale . Love Dystopian Novels too .

It was mentioned a while back in the thread, but I think Oryx & Crake has to be among her best ones, along with The Blind Assassin. Another one I'd recommend, though strictly speaking it's not a dystopia, is her Alias Grace, it's an absolutely fantastic book about a woman convicted of murder, and the attempts to understand why she did it. Creepy & fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

gutenberg wrote: »
    It was mentioned a while back in the thread, but I think Oryx & Crake has to be among her best ones, along with The Blind Assassin. Another one I'd recommend, though strictly speaking it's not a dystopia, is her Alias Grace, it's an absolutely fantastic book about a woman convicted of murder, and the attempts to understand why she did it. Creepy & fascinating.

Thanks will bear them in mind if i enjoy Hanmaid Tale . :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Finished 'The Road. Heavy but brilliant and so well written. The ending is so touching, after everything they've been through.

Got Paul Auster's 'the country of last things' and Margret Atwood's 'year of the flood' from the library.

they didn't have any of the others mentioned in this thread at my branch so i'm gonna hit the Ilac library up :)

thanks for the recommendations folks :)

Finished M Atwoods Handmaid Tale , Good Story , as always with these Dystopian Novels leaves me with a kind of an empty feeling or strong sense of loss at the end ! Now onto the Hunger Games ... , are the Hunger Games directed at teenagers ? was in the teenage fiction section at the bookstore yesterday !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Hunger games was in the young adult section of my local bookstore, they are aimed at 13+, if you recall many adults have read harry potter which is like 11+ they even did harry potter adult style covers on the books. Twilight was also in the young adult section and many adults have read those books. Hunger games is brilliant regardless of your age.

I think the only reason Hunger Games might be in the teenage section is because there is no sex in it and its protagonist is 16 (but there are plenty of adult characters in all the books). There is violence, not too graphic though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Yes, adults read these books too! I just bought the first two books in The Hunger Games set. I read the first three of HP, and will get to the others at some stage.

I loved the Margaret Atwood books, The Handmaids Tale and Orkxx and Crake.

I love this thread. I will definitely follow up on the recommendations here. We should form our own dystopian/post-apocalyptic book club!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I only read the first of The Hunger Games, and while its not bad, it's essentially a version of Battle Royale aimed at at early teen girls I would say.

mcgovern wrote: »
    I only read the first of The Hunger Games, and while its not bad, it's essentially a version of Battle Royale aimed at at early teen girls I would say.
    Id agree i feel i have out grown it . I just finished it too , while i found it quite entertaining i wouldnt really be interested in books 2&3 . Lacks a bit of depth for me . The idea was good but i think it fell down in the last section of the book .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

A newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I would strongly recommend The Great Explosion by Erik Frank Russell. It's been described as Catch 22 in space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

Always loved any John Wyndham books..I know they are a bit dated now, but I think they were pretty good for the time.The chrysalids is still a firm favourite with me..years after first reading it for school at 14....

Tried reading brave new world...sorry to say I got bored:(...Atwood is another firm favourite, and only just recently read the handmaids tale. Fahrenheit 451 is also good. My sister has been bugging me to read the road so will be doing so shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 megtyler

any james michener book

apsalar wrote: »
    Always loved any John Wyndham books..I know they are a bit dated now, but I think they were pretty good for the time.The chrysalids is still a firm favourite with me..years after first reading it for school at 14....

Tried reading brave new world...sorry to say I got bored:(...Atwood is another firm favourite, and only just recently read the handmaids tale. Fahrenheit 451 is also good. My sister has been bugging me to read the road so will be doing so shortly.
    Im half way thru The Road , its very hard to read , very moving and very nerve racking . I wouldnt call it dystopian , post apocalysis yes .

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Duckee

I'm a big fan of this sort of fiction, and some of my favourites are "Spares" or anything by else Michael Marshall Smith really.

'A canticle for liebowitz' is worth a punt too, although it drifts off a bit towards the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Ok. Now i'm confused. Finished Margaret Atwood's year of the flood, only to be thrown by the most infuriating non-ending ever, then to find that it's actually a sequel/companion to Oryx&Crake, which I haven't read!. And it's part of a trilogy! feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

God I love this type of book too!

Just ordered The Hunger Games on bookdepository for 7 quid.

Read Stephen Kings 'The Stand' last year, fantastic read! 'The Road' was a horrific book and one which has haunted me since. 1984 was also a classic ..

I read Oryx and Crake too and thought it was one of the better Atwood novels .. very enjoyable.

Keep the suggestions coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

david75 wrote: »
    Ok. Now i'm confused. Finished Margaret Atwood's year of the flood, only to be thrown by the most infuriating non-ending ever, then to find that it's actually a sequel/companion to Oryx&Crake, which I haven't read!. And it's part of a trilogy! feck!

What's the third one??? :confused:

Just spotted this thread and was going to suggest those 2 Atwoods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Swan Song by Robert McCammon is up there with The Stand - best book I have read in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WickedWest

Matched Trilogy by Ally Condie
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Leafonthewind

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Just read 'legend' by marie lu, still trying to get my hands on a copy of 'feed' from the newsflesh trilogy by myra grant also trying to get my hands on 'dillirium'.

I read the maze runner trilogy it was an ok read.

Wither and fever were ok.

I've also read the gone series, a series of six books, gone, hunger, lies, plague and fear, only 1 book left and he hasn't started writing it yet :(.

Ive also Read the enemy, the dead and the fear by Charlie higson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Last Light and Afterlight by Alex Scarrow. The latter shows how society rapidly breaks down and the former shows how society has changed in ten years following the disaster. Both have their harrowing and disturbing moments and are well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I liked The old man and the wasteland , kindle only I think.

Advertisement