Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts with IT

Options
  • 15-11-2011 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi everyone im doing the leaving artificial this school year and im interested in two courses in Galway. Im interested in programming and computers and was considering Computer Science or Arts and one of my subjects would be IT. If I do Arts i was also going to pick Spanish as i am keen on keeping that on and i really enjoy it.

What im really asking is what is IT like in Arts? Is there lot of programming, databases etc, or is it more basic, should i just do Computer science,, even though I would like to keep on Spanish.

I would appreciate any advice, Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrSnuffleupagus

Final Arts IT student here,
    There's a range of subjects covered by the IT course. In first year it was mainly programming (python), but we covered things like web design in another class.
    In second year there was a database systems class (using access to create databases), more programming (VB) and a tech frameworks class (covered everything from ethics to peripheral devices for a computer- I found it tough because it was so varied more than anything).
    Final year you do a project with 1-2 other people (create a functioning website, design a program to do x, etc.), a paper, more programming (java) and you pick two options from a list of 7 subjects.
    (I think programming languages on the course changes from year to year btw)

I really like the class and if you put in a bit of effort consistently it's really not hard to get by! Much prefer it to my other class at any rate (economics)

On another note I took Spanish in first year, it was great craic and I learned a lot but I didn't take it to degree level because I never did it before starting in uni - they have a beginners class and an advanced class that get thrown in together in 2nd year, doubt I could have kept up with that pace.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

You'll be far more qualified if you go for the Computer Science rather than the BA.

Right now, Irish companies are taking people with programming skills. However in a few years the situation might be different as IT courses around the country seem to be more in demand these days.

Computer Science might be more conducive to getting a job in the sector by the time you graduate.

The big advantage of the BA is that it keeps you options open. What if you discover you aren't quite as into IT as you thought you were?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭afc4life

Thanks for the reply MrSnuffleupagus, Its good to the the opinion on someone who has done the course, Yeah im doing spanish in the leaving cert and i rather enjoy it! IT looks interesting definitely from what your are saying, the subjects look interesting.

Yeah thats the things like you said i wont be as qualified but maybe a could go on and do a masters to get me up to scratch? and qualified... :P Raging_Ninja yeah i can see where your coming from, and maybe your right it mightn't like so its definitely good to keep my options open, spanish would be really helpful then.

Thanks guys!

Advertisement