Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning to Ireland and JBA

• 15-11-2011 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am returning to Ireland on December 22nd after living in Canada on a one year work holiday visa.

Someone told me I am not entitled to sign back on for a couple of months...is this true?

I really want to find and job ASAP but would like to have some JBA while I get setup again once I am home.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

As long as you are looking for and available for full-time work, you can claim a Jobseekers payment. If you've been away for a year, you're not likely to qualify for Jobseekers Benefit, but you may qualify for Jobseekers Allowance.

They will consider your time away, although a one year's working holiday is unlikely to rule you out of a payment if this is the only time you've spent out of the country. If you could have stayed in Canada and worked, they may also consider that you've left your job voluntarily and aren't genuinely seeking work, but if your visa was only for one year, that shouldn't be a problem.

There is no time that you have to wait. You should apply as soon as you can. If you're financially stuck while they process your payment, you can apply to the Community Welfare Officer for a Supplementary Welfare Allowance payment to tide you over.

Advertisement