Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using my laptop in school.

• 15-11-2011 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Okay so, first of all, I'm a repeat student. I got 340 last time round. I have ADHD and very poor concentration and focus, I did study but it was completely ineffective for me for the most part. I was happy with this, but I can do so much more and achieve better grades. There are no rules against laptops but nobody uses them anyway.

Reasons I should use the laptop:
    • I can't afford a lot of the books yet, we aren't using the ones I had last year. Last year, so I wouldn't have to worry about forgetting books like I always do, I scanned them page-for-page and kept them on my laptop. I'm a very resourceful person so I don't understand why more people don't do this, especially since I've heard of people buying two sets of books so they could do the same thing.
    • I type fast and my writing is very messy, I can hardly read my notes I take in class because keeping up with what the teacher is saying is a real challenge.
    • I also wrote out every note I took in class and kept it on my laptop/phone (then transferred it with spoken text so I could listen to notes while I worked out/travelled/couldn't be near a book). It would be much handier and less time consuming if I didn't transfer my notes so I could do this.
    • I'm profoundly organised on a laptop, something I'm most definitely not on paper.
      There is no way for me to connect to the internet in school (except turning my phone into a 3g hotspot), I have no way of getting distracted. I don't even get distracted at home that much.
    • I have a fantastic laptop (HP envy 13) with a great battery life.
    • I won't forget things for class.
    • I have software on my laptop that is amazing for studying, it uses a technique called memory spacing. It's called anki if anyone's interested, it makes your short-term memory long-term by teaching you something before you forget it, it's free as well, best way to use flashcards.
    • It's extremely stressful trying to keep my room tidy with all these sheets and notes. I often got into rows with my mother last year because of it which was extremely stressful. There isn't enough storage in my room for that crap again. Who wouldn't want all their stuff in place?

Reasons I should not use the laptop:
      • It'll distract the other students.
      • Cheating would be easier (but what repeat student cheats anyway?)
      • I could become dependant on it and I obviously can't use it in exams.
      • It could be stolen or damaged
      • If it breaks I'll have to go out and buy all the books etc. but I back up all my files on an external hard drive anyway.

I think I like the pros too much. What do you think? Should I ask my principle?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ask the Principal if you like, but it will be the individual teachers who decide what happens in their classes.
      Personally, I can't see an issue with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

You actually can use it for exams. You have to apply for it and have a specific reason why (ADHD might be reason enough for this, idk), ask your principle about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

And just a heads up, you will get distracted, there is no doubt about it. I started college this year and I use my laptop for my notes for some modules......but I usually just end up playing freecell in half the lectures =/ I would definitely recommend deleting any games that are on the laptop straight off :P back them up on your External HD if you want them but definitely get rid of them for your own sake :P

And I wasn't really a slacker last year when it came to studying/class, only classes I missed in sixth year were due to illness and as for study i was in school til 8 for the last few months of it, 7 before easter and 5:30 before christmas, as well as weekend study in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

magicianz wrote: »
      And just a heads up, you will get distracted, there is no doubt about it. I started college this year and I use my laptop for my notes for some modules......but I usually just end up playing freecell in half the lectures =/ I would definitely recommend deleting any games that are on the laptop straight off :P back them up on your External HD if you want them but definitely get rid of them for your own sake :P

And I wasn't really a slacker last year when it came to studying/class, only classes I missed in sixth year were due to illness and as for study i was in school til 8 for the last few months of it, 7 before easter and 5:30 before christmas, as well as weekend study in school.
      Its easier to not pay attention in college though because you don't have a teacher giving out to you for not paying attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I use a laptop for school but just for notes and study.

Also if your hand writing is extremely bad I would suggest talk to your exam organiser in your school if ya have one (if not just contact Vice Prinicial or Prinicial) then if they give you the thumps up, they will ask you to send in a form to the SEC (State Exam Commission)
      http://www.examinations.ie/schools/2012_Leaving_Certificate_Application_Physical_Hearing_Visual_Difficulty.pdf

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

If you do get permission to use the laptop in exams, then you can ignore this... :)

BUT!

Bear in mind that if you do have to write your exams, you may find it more difficult because you were so used to typing everything. I have friends who used their laptops for everything in college, and when the exams rolled around found it quite a physical challenge to write for a prolonged period, as they weren't used to it. Plus, if you stop 'practising' so to speak, your handwriting does become worse- think of when you get back to school in September, how bad your script is!

Just something to bear in mind, but if you find it easier then go for it :)

Advertisement