Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone work in an off licence?

• 15-11-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hey,
    Just a quick question here for anyone working in an off licence.I had the strangest experience I think I've ever had regarding buying a beer but I shall not carry on.
    My question,do tills stop processing alcohol sales bang on 10pm automatically?I ask this because I've been to some off licences just before 10pm and have paid for beers just after 10pm without a problem.I mean 2 or 3 minutes max.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That would depend on the set up of the till.
    It is quite possible just like the price can go up automatically in late bars at a certain time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

If you're talking about a chain (the likes of tescos) then yeah they might have a script that will not allow them to sell alcohol after the cutoff time. You wouldn't get that in an offy.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SteeveeDee

I've been stung on the late bar pricing system before alright!

My encounter was in a Londis,I guess I'll elaborate just for kicks as I left bewildered and thirsty!
    The shop is right around the corner from my flat,literally 1 minute away.I left at 09.50 sharp,entered the shop and went directly to the fridge which was still open.I picked up 3 bottles of Guinness and 1 Erdinger Dunkel.Walked to the till,waited a few seconds in line.got to the counter placed the bottles down,the guy says to me "you could get another Guinness as its 4 for €8" (as 3 was to be 7.74) I say ok,I'll be right back,grab one and head back to the till with it,I hear the fridge shutter being closed.The guy who served me is closing said fridge,he comes back and says no more beer as its after 10.00:eek: and he can;t scan it in because of the computer!
    I'm astonished,so now I have 3 Guinness which I may or may not be able to take with me due to the confusion this guy is creating,he also never scanned in the dunkel while he was closing the fridge so that's gone.
    I tell him I think he's pulling my leg,he is not,he is very serious.I ask him can he not just gimme a break and enter the price without scanning,he says no.I say I'll just take the 3 Guinness then and some rizla.He hands me the rizla and says no beer.I tell him he's already scanned them in so whats the big deal.I can't serve you alcohol after 10,that's the law.i say there should be a law against lack of common sense,I don't want your rizla,I leave,walk down to the next shop 5 or so minutes away to get some rizla.As I am coming back,I have to pass the londis to get home.The man of the hour is standing at the doorway with a Garda,He points at me and said Garda asks me to join them.I do.I am now accused of some form of harassment I guess or something to that effect.I explain the situation to the Garda and she seems to understand my predicament.
    At this point I am sick to my teeth with this fella so I just tell him he is a fool and a petty individual for creating such a dramatic annoyance for everyone involved etc etc. He goes back inside looking a little defeated.
    "Some people" the garda says..........Too bloody right!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

that's ridiculous! you were simply asking why he couldn't just give you the beer, which you say he scanned (?). Why call the Gardai over something like that, what a time waster! He should be in trouble for wasting their time!

I work in an off-licence, not a chain, so we don't have tills that shut off on the stroke of 10pm. We would serve anyone who has come in before we close our doors, we don't kick people out for coming in at 10pm on the dot. As far as we are concerned we need every sale, but we don't push it either and stay open too much later (although I know of other off-licences that do it regularly in my town!).

He shouldn't have walked away from counter knowing you were only getting one more bottle, all he had to do was have them scanned in & ready on the till to cash off (which is what we do when someone is getting one more etc)...or cash it off if he was so worried the sale wouldn't go through! Very petty and inexperienced guy if you ask me.

Advertisement