Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sleeping on left side

Options
  • 15-11-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Its been suggested to me that sleeping on my left side is better for me and baby - because lying on right side affects main arteries and blood flow. Anybody else hear this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

Yea it was in a bunch of the pregnancy books I had. A midwife mentioned it too me I'd start off on the left side but woke up in my back. Sure all you can do is try.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I heard this, but only on websites etc, not from the midwives, but from 13 weeks or so it was painful to sleep on the right.

Now at 29 weeks, not a hope. I might roll over for a few minutes every few hours during the night, but I always end up back on my right.

We always had the telly on the right in the bedroom, but moved it as I couldn't even slightly turn that way to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I heard this, but only on websites etc, not from the midwives, but from 13 weeks or so it was painful to sleep on the right.

Now at 29 weeks, not a hope. I might roll over for a few minutes every few hours during the night, but I always end up back on my right.

We always had the telly on the right in the bedroom, but moved it as I couldn't even slightly turn that way to watch it.

I find it more uncomfortable to sleep on my left too. I know we are not supposed to sleep on my back but sometimes it's the only way I can get to sleep! Is the risk really much worse if I sleep on my back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

it was my understanding that sleeping on your left was to help with circulation? I know in yoga we were always told to lie on our left when doing our relaxation breathing?

The reasoning behind sleeping on the left side is that sleeping on your back or right can result in the weight of the uterus + baby pressing on the inferior vena cava, thus impairing venous drainage from the legs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I slept on my stomach for much of my last two pregnancies :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

January wrote: »
    I slept on my stomach for much of my last two pregnancies :o

Seriously?! Lucky you, i love sleeping on my tummy but nearly since day one I couldn't because first I had sore boobs and then I had the bump!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yep... was only way I was comfortable... asked the midwives about it and they said as long as it wasn't uncomfortable I was grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

haha i think if i slept on my tummy i would just be balancing on my bump its after gettin so hard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My midwife said the baby has a prefered side but she didn't specify which side that was, guess that's why so many women find different ways of sleeping comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Ah listen, I'm totally wrong. I dont know my left from my right!!!!

Its my left I always sleep on, never my right. TV now blocks my wardrobe with all the clothes that dont fit me any more!

When I lie on my right my legs do go dead, so there might be a bit of truth in it. Also when I turn on to my right I feel as if the baby is falling and all the water is falling to the right too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

In my 31st week now, and looking like I've swallowed a beach ball:rolleyes:. Heard that it's not good to sleep on your back, and to try and sleep on your left side. Baby is constantly on my right hand side, so lying on my right hand side feels like I'm being dragged down, and puts strain on my back. Lying on my left side is marginally more comfortable. I'm awake on and off all night though swapping sides, as whatever side I lie on I wake with pains in my hip and thigh:(. Basically for me, there is no comfortable sleeping position, but I've found that putting the end of a pillow under the bump can help prop it up a bit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I read in a couple of pregnancy books that sleeping on the left side is best, but personally I can't stay on one side all night. I have to frequently turn over as my hips get really sore. I mentioned this to my midwife and she said it's generally considered better as it increases blood flow to the placenta, but not to worry if I couldn't stay in one position and just to make myself comfortable.

Advertisement