Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage that doesn't charge for air

Options
  • 16-11-2011 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

So had a flat earlier, then realised I'd quite possibly the biggest ordeal trying to change the bloody tire, whoever designed that jack needs a good belt of it across the head.

Anyway, think it might be just some kids let the air out and went to garage to pump it up. my spare was a bit low so done that first, after paying €1. Then went to pump my normal one, no air, even though it did say 4 minutes something left.

Absolute rip, just wondering is there any garage on the way from Castleknock to the IFSC that doesn't charge for this service? Save me time from the traffic ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jay D wrote: »
    So had a flat earlier, then realised I'd quite possibly the biggest ordeal trying to change the bloody tire, whoever designed that jack needs a good belt of it across the head.

Anyway, think it might be just some kids let the air out and went to garage to pump it up. my spare was a bit low so done that first, after paying €1. Then went to pump my normal one, no air, even though it did say 4 minutes something left.

Absolute rip, just wondering is there any garage on the way from Castleknock to the IFSC that doesn't charge for this service? Save me time from the traffic ;)

Aren't you in Ashtown?.

The ESSO between the The Blanch/M50 junction and The Halfway House (city bound) is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Topaz garage on the N2 is free. you need to stick a euro in I think to free up the hose, but it's like a shopping trolly, you get the euro back whe you finish, afaik.

Alos, Tesco Clearwater is free too, again, afaik.

Charging for air is a new low.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Holy god, charging for air :eek::eek:

its free on all the garages on the N2 Tesco, Esso, Topaz x2,

Its free in the Maxol on Consitition Hill, the station on the quays near the Four Courts is Free.

The garage on the Cabra Road is free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It's free EVERYWHERE outside of dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I thought it was always free or even just a euro deposit as Des said.

What garage did you go to Jay, if you dont mind me asking?

Maxol Navan road is free and Topaz Cabra road take the deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Haven't been to Galway in a while have we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Thread is not about Galway, Kerry or Neptune, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the air is free, then why not just wrap your lips around the valve and blow? ;)

While this free service is something that we've gotten used to, the garage still has to have the thing serviced and maintained, so I don't think a paltry euro is a lot to ask. Though it would make more sense for garages to use tokens and give a token to anyone who's either bought something (and asked for the token), or handed a euro over.

I would personally advise just buying your own tyre pump. Stick it in your boot and you never have to make that irritating detour to a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Every garage I've been in in Dublin never charged. Never heard of places charges either! This a new practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

Topaz in Kilmainham, Green apple in Inchicore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Noticed a few places are charging now. The big Shell garage on the Naas Road/Long Mile road junction is the latest, €1 a go!

Free at the Maxol along the canal at Dolphins Barn Bridge

I just got one of these:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7402364/Trail/searchtext>PUMP.htm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

this charging thing has been around for a bit now, i used to get annoyed about it but then thought about how many times i went to the free air garages and the air machine was broke, line ripped so the PSI was wrong or the guage was not working and the water pump not working!!! :mad:

The best one in Finglas now is the one that charges 20c for 3-4 mins.
    It allows access to the air and water machine for that 20c, and the air machine is digital, you enter the PSI or bar you need and connect, the machine then adds, takes away air as required.

I find that the 20c stops kids messing with them and makes people more aware of the equipment and maybe treat it better, and hence the machine is in operation for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Dancor wrote: »
    I thought it was always free or even just a euro deposit as Des said.

What garage did you go to Jay, if you dont mind me asking?

Maxol Navan road is free and Topaz Cabra road take the deposit.

Yeah it was the Esso across the road from that, unbelievable.

Thanks for the heads up on the Maxol lads, ended up getting train this morning but went round there and done it. Only prob is the perpetrator done something with the valve and air comes straight back out. Does anyone know off hand if that can be fixed? Such a simple little evil.
    Sorry meant Esso across from Maxol N3 coming from Blanch on left before Ashtown roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

kceire wrote: »
    this charging thing has been around for a bit now, i used to get annoyed about it but then thought about how many times i went to the free air garages and the air machine was broke, line ripped so the PSI was wrong or the guage was not working and the water pump not working!!! :mad:

The best one in Finglas now is the one that charges 20c for 3-4 mins.
    It allows access to the air and water machine for that 20c, and the air machine is digital, you enter the PSI or bar you need and connect, the machine then adds, takes away air as required.

I find that the 20c stops kids messing with them and makes people more aware of the equipment and maybe treat it better, and hence the machine is in operation for longer.

Yeah, asked where the air hose was once and they said it was broken. Yer man said it was the 4th time that month, people just leaving it on the ground and driving over it.
    The shopping trolley system works though

Advertisement