Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick of people saying there are no jobs. There are, but the market has just changed.

• 16-11-2011 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29 How Many Users

Point in case,I studied IT for my primary degree and got a first and recently graduated from a masters in business and got a 2.1.

When I finished I applied for one job and got it and am now on 40k a year including bonus. I don't feel I was particularly lucky, I worked hard and it paid off. Every time I look a job websites like jobs.ie etc, there are hundreds of jobs going, yet you walk past the dole office on sign on day and there are cues going out the door.

I think people in this country have become lazy and are no longer even trying to look for work. People have to start to face facts that the housing bubble has burst, there are no longer jobs in the building sector. It's time for the country to start upskilling again. Get into the fas centers and learn something new. But no, the people on the dole don't even bother any more.

Now I am not saying everyone on the dole is like this, but lets be honest most of the heads I see walking in there are.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Aren't you fantastic altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Delighted for ya that ya got that job...

But please, don't be so fecking patronising, if it was so easy to get a job you were qualified for ehhhhh.... there wouldn't be such high unemployment would there!

Economy shrunk, less jobs and no speeches from that pulpit is gonna change that fact.

Bit of empathy would be a bit of a decent place to start!

Really want to say a few other choice things, but I'll get banned and I'm not sure it's worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

So there are half a million unoccupied jobs in Ireland:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Those lazy dole scroungers with their firsts in I.T!!

Go get a job, hippies!

Ah, now I have the comforting, warm feeling that everything is right with the world: we have another dole scroungers thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Rub it in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Would ya ever whist. Your first job outa college and ya think ya know everything.

You were lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Point in case,I studied IT for my primary degree and got a first and recently graduated from a masters in business and got a 2.1.

When I finished I applied for one job and got it and am now on 40k a year including bonus. I don't feel I was particularly lucky, I worked hard and it paid off. Every time I look a job websites like jobs.ie etc, there are hundreds of jobs going, yet you walk past the dole office on sign on day and there are cues going out the door.

I think people in this country have become lazy and are no longer even trying to look for work. People have to start to face facts that the housing bubble has burst, there are no longer jobs in the building sector. It's time for the country to start upskilling again. Get into the fas centers and learn something new. But no, the people on the dole don't even bother any more.

Now I am not saying everyone on the dole is like this, but lets be honest most of the heads I see walking in there are.

Thoughts?

I have no idea what that even means Im not ashamed to say.

Not every unemployed person went to college and a lot arent 21 anymore..if you catch my drift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

OP, job-hunting is a full-time job for me, I NEVER stop thinking about it and searching and applying and following up. I am not tied to one part of the country either so it's not that. It's just that there are lots of people going for every job. I've come close a few times but have always been pipped by someone just that bit better. I'm not looking in the construction sector either.

Good for you and all, but seriously, STFU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

My thoughts are that your employer made a massive mistake employing you.

Because if the sum total of your ability to think critically is that because you got a job that everyone else is lazy, everyone on the dole is unskilled and that 100 jobs + 100 unemployed people = no unemployment then they need to be looking elsewhere for someone who actually has a bit of intelligence :rolleyes:

"I got a job so there must be jobs for everyone"

that's great logic you have there, did they teach you that in IT or Business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Tonto86 wrote: »
    Would ya ever whist. Your first job outa college and ya think ya know everything.

You were lucky

Nah, sure according to the OP he's just great, and the rest of us are just sh1te!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

You should count your blessings OP. Theres many people out their more qualified than you that cant find work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Point in case

Thoughts?

I wouldn't hire you.

I've never met the OP, but already I know his entire Educational and Employment histories!

I wonder how he has time to do all this? Isn't he too busy being the life and soul of all the coolest parties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I also studied IT in college. Unfortunately I only have a higher cert (which is practically useless) because I can't afford to go on and get my degree. I can't afford it because I lost my full time job and now I only get part-time hours doing a job I fúcking despise for shít money. So yes, there are jobs out there if you're over-qualified. You need a masters just to get a job doing level 1 support these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Every time I look a job websites like jobs.ie etc, there are hundreds of jobs going, yet you walk past the dole office on sign on day and there are cues going out the door.

Hundreds of vacancies. Several hundred thousand unemployed. Think about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 How Many Users

You know you can all insult me, but the fact of the matter is there are 1000's of fas training courses that are not being utilised, if everyone on the dole was so eager to work they would be filled.

RayM wrote: »
    Hundreds of vacancies. Several hundred thousand unemployed. Think about it...

Don't be silly, they didn't cover numbers in Business class!

Or how to spell "queue", either :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Everyone has a 2.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yeah ya lazy bums, and if your too lazy to put on a suit and go for an interview, just go down too the local shop and it'll only cost €2 to win a couple of million on the lottery. Do I have to think of everything for you's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Theres 86% unemployment in my area. One man i was talking to had 26 years of intensive management experience and hes out of work. Do you mean to tell me that the only thing thats stopping 86% of people in this field in Ireland from getting a job is the lack of a can-do attitude?

Im glad youre on the other side of this thing OP but save your speeches because tbh, youre clearly blissfully ignorant of what it means to be unemployed and without a prospect in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

saa wrote: »
    Everyone has a 2.1

Heh, this made me lollers.

But don't forget, the OP has a 1:1 because he's all kinds of awesomeness.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

You know you can all insult me, but the fact of the matter is there are 1000's of fas training courses that are not being utilised, if everyone one on the dole was so eager to work they would be filled.

Do even know what the feck FAS is?

A joke of an organisation, no disrespect to anyone on it, but anything from FAS alone will get you you no job!

The fact you thing you landed some cushy number means anyone with a stint in FAS gets a job is lunacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Oh and if you really think you can just walk into one of those vacancies after doing a Fás course you are truly mistake.

You know you can all insult me, but the fact of the matter is there are 1000's of fas training courses that are not being utilised, if everyone one on the dole was so eager to work they would be filled.

So, what you're saying is, despite the fact that there are thousands and thousands of educated, fully qualified and fully experienced people on the dole queue, everyone doing FAS courses will magically make unemployment disappear?

I can see why you for a first in IT and just a 2:1 in Business, you had absolutely no idea how Economics works!

You know you can all insult me, but the fact of the matter is there are 1000's of fas training courses that are not being utilised, if everyone on the dole was so eager to work they would be filled.

fas training course does not = a job

Look up the jobridge scheme, its made FAS irrelevant.

The Jobridge scheme introduced by FG/Lab which is a working for free legislation has introduced slave labour back into the country not seen since the 1800s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I actually thought you were a troll, surely nobody could be that delusional. The elite in this country live on another planet.

Heh, this made me lollers.

But don't forget, the OP has a 1:1 because he's all kinds of awesomeness.

I have a first because I worked my ass off. While I was in college I worked 2 jobs to support myself. I didn't go out and get drunk or take drugs the whole time. In fact I don't drink.

Don't even try to tell me that everyone currently on the dole is actively looking for jobs 24/7. Half of them are down the pub everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

I have a first because I worked my ass off. While I was in college I worked 2 jobs to support myself. I didn't go out and get drunk or take drugs the whole time. In fact I don't drink.

Don't even try to tell me that everyone currently on the dole is actively looking for jobs 24/7. Half of them are down the pub everyday.

You know half the people on the dole? Impressive. You must have one hell of a friends list on facebook so.

Wow, you're telling me that you're supposed to be the future of this country?

This guy is certainly trolling lads. Don't feed him anymore. Nobody can be this stupid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Thoughts?

Tell me, if the **** fell from the I.T. sector would you be able to swoon in and become a Design Engineer or Architect at a drop of a hat.

Upskilling!!! come on, it would take 4 or 5 years to upskill to the same level in another profession, some of these people have worked their butts of to get to the level they are at now in their chosen carrers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

OP, word of advice about on how to keep your new job. If anyone ever asks you for your opinion on anything keep your mouth firmly shut. That way no one will know about all the ridiculousness jammed into that silly little head of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

so you reckon everybody decided to get "lazy" at the one time and nobody else noticed where there are jobs appart from you??? seems kinda rediculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Oh god. You should do yourself a favour and not post every thought that pops into your head. I'm embarrassed for you and I don't embarrass easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

People have to start to face facts that the housing bubble has burst, there are no longer jobs in the building sector.

Everyone on the dole is an unemployed builder :confused::confused::confused::confused: ?
    Thoughts?

I was just about to ask you the same thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Someone in my family was working for over 35 years when they were made redundant at the age of 55. They've now been on the dole for almost 2 years. So, if they read your post and got an epiphany 'Of course, going back to college will get me a job!' they'd be 62 when they get a degree and let's face it, realistically, how many 62 year old new graduates with no experience are going to be snapped up?
    For most people it's not as easy as 'just go back to college.'
    And study what? Should everyone study IT? :confused:
    How many qualified medical professionals and teachers are unemployed in this country?! It's not as easy as education=job.

Also, OP, you mention "Get into the fas centers and learn something new". Could you please provide a link to, or list, of the courses they provide that could lead to employment? I know a few people that would really help out. :)

Everyone on the dole is an unemployed builder :confused::confused::confused::confused: .

No only half.

The other half are in the pub all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MJPE

Jesus OP you know your in the next bubble and when it goes pop and it will I wonder will you have same attitude if you lose your job and you are struggling to find a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

200,000 people drinking every day? The vintners must be delighted! Oh, wait... The Irish pub scene is apparently dying. Apparently due to falling numbers of customers. Do they not teach how business works in business courses these days? :confused:

• Advertisement

Millicent wrote: »
    200,00 people drinking every day? The vintners must be delighted! Oh, wait... The Irish pub scene is apparently dying. Apparently due to falling numbers of customers. Do they not teach how business works in business courses these days? :confused:

Yes, but Tesco's off licence department is booming.

My friend did this. She got a 1.1. Then she did a masters. Then spent a year abroad teaching English as a foreign language before doing her H.Dip.
    She now can't find a full time teaching job and mostly works in call centres.
    Should she retrain as something else now, is that what you're saying? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

Well than perhaps you could explain (using your masters of business knowledge) why so many pubs are closing and laying off staff? Surely with unemployment increasing continuously they should all be doing a roaring trade?

Edit: Milllicent beat me to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Typh

OP, I doubt you'll see the sun again. You are being buried here.

So you're saying they all buy the drink in tesco and all manage to smuggle all this drink into the pubs every day?

saa wrote: »
    Everyone has a 2.1

I have!! Sure, I'm great. ;)

Really? Would you believe I worked in the off licence in Tesco and would beg to differ? Or should we all not let facts get in the way of a good rant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Don't even try to tell me that everyone currently on the dole is actively looking for jobs 24/7.

24/7 eh? What kind of automatons do you think these jobseekers should be that they don't need sleep?
    Half of them are down the pub everyday.

Your calculations are not good Sir.

The recession did little for the pub trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

........and in the course of your extensive studies did you ever come across the word smug?

Typh wrote: »
    OP, I doubt you'll see the sun again. You are being buried here.

I'd say from the current location of the OP's head, there's not much fear of seeing the sun anyway...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement